A little birdy told me

TeamZero77

Helton should be on the short-list. But isn't Auburn planning to fill the Athletic Director position first?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Wow, tough crowd. Imagine the sales pitch we're giving to these potential head coaching candidates, "Auburn - we'll fire a coach before he starts."

• WarTiger changed the title to A little birdy told me

Yeah this is one of those names that's just floated out there to help people feel better about the potential hire of Grimes.

Jan_16_2018_10_24_06.gif

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Yeah this is one of those names that's just floated out there to help people feel better about the potential hire of Grimes. 

Jan_16_2018_10_24_06.gif

Genius. 

Float awful names so when we hire avg names we fee like it's a win.

• Like 2

Just now, autiger88 said:

Yep! That's the Auburn way...

Only the ppl who really know football will be excited. Poor @DAG, maybe one day he'll get it when we break 8 wins in year 4

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Systems said:

Wow, tough crowd. Imagine the sales pitch we're giving to these potential head coaching candidates, "Auburn - we'll fire a coach before he starts."

Nobody besides you and another wants Helton. Stop it. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, AUwent said:

Screw it. If we hire Helton, I will officially be sorry we fired Gus. We may just need to accept that we're an undesirable job for reasons out of our control--because clearly, we're desirable in every other sport. The difference is quite obviously that well regarded coaching prospects simply do not want to play the toughest schedule in the country every year, with all-time top 15 level expectations. People viewing Grimes as some retread, bargain bin candidate are so incredibly out of touch with reality. Outside of the Auburn fanbase he is a well-regarded candidate that Auburn would be very fortunate to get and likely can't because of our aforementioned circumstances.

(But seriously, we could at least land Dell, right? Right?)

The fact that you are pushing so hard for Grimes makes me want him even less now. Thanks.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The fact that you are pushing so hard for Grimes makes me want him even less now. Thanks.

Well, Deion is my hypothetical #1 pick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I was gonna ask but decided not to how he is a well regarded candidate by who? Colorado and Utah State were the only two I've heard. Lol 

3 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

I was gonna ask but decided not to how he is a well regarded candidate by who? Colorado and Utah State were the only two I've heard. Lol 

I don't even care to discuss anymore because he isn't. Only by Auburn faithful, but he is respected. Auburn should Hire Deion. If he says no, see what Kiffin is talking about. If he is talking crazy then you go to Rhule. If Rhule doesn't want to come then the last line is Freeze.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Just now, DAG said:

I don't even care to discuss anymore because he isn't. Only by Auburn faithful, but he is respected. Auburn should Hire Deion. If he says no, see what Kiffin is talking about. If he is talking crazy then you go to Rhule. If Rhule doesn't want to come then the floor is Freeze.

Yep I agree!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't even care to discuss anymore because he isn't. Only by Auburn faithful, but he is respected. Auburn should Hire Deion. If he says no, see what Kiffin is talking about. If he is talking crazy then you go to Rhule. If Rhule doesn't want to come then the floor is Freeze.

Sankey will likely not allow for Freeze sadly. I would be very shocked if any of those guys come.

https://www.si.com/college/baylor/.amp/football/bears-jeff-grimes-dave-aranda-head-coach-big-12-byu

Anyway. I desperately hope someone with inside info can call BS on Helton! That was literally my one con against Benko as AD.

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Sankey will likely not allow it sadly. I would be very shocked if any of those guys come.

https://www.si.com/college/baylor/.amp/football/bears-jeff-grimes-dave-aranda-head-coach-big-12-byu

I'd bank on that author assuming "coaching somewhere else" meant an G5 school

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'd bank on that author assuming "coaching somewhere else" meant an G5 school

Colorado and ASU are G5 schools? Interesting.

Edited by AUwent

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

You aren’t helping yourself. 

• Haha 1

Guys, a gerbil on a spinning wheel would be an upgrade to what we have. So if that is what we are going for might as well call up Les Miles. At least he has credentials 

Edited by DAG
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Guys, a gerbil on a spinning wheel would be an upgrade to what we have

I would go lower than that.  I would rather have a broomstick than what we have now.  At least with a broom we can sweep out this garbage.

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

That our next head coach was an Auburn QB and has a Pac 12 Championship and a Rose Bowl win on his resume. He is currently coaching and living in Georgia. 👀

you sure it was not a big birdy that is yellow in color and poops in the house so much we have to put down newspaper?

• Haha 1

People want to argue over coordinators and even non-coordinators (Dell)...I have only heard about people with AU ties.  That is a problem.  We think only people with AU ties work here.  We should be taking a look at coaches that have a record at a program that have done well.  They are Head Coaches...they have done well at their place(s).  We may not be able to get some but there are many that are out there.

Curt Cignetti - 12 years as a HC and right below Saban with the # of wins.  currently at JMU

Chris Klieman -10 years as a HC and right below Curt and at KSU. 

Lance Leipold - 16 years as HC currently at Kansas he has a better winning % than Kelly, Jimbo, Napier and Fickell and is below the two mentioned above in %.

So can we start talking seriously about HCs that may want a shot at the SEC and have proven records?  Or if you still want to talk about OCs who worked under gus a year but never called plays, or HCs that were fired because of NCAA violations and did other things and Lane Kiffen who has a worse winning % than Gus...oh and Kiffin is not much better than Clay Helton in the % game

Also, don't say that oh they can't do it in the SEC, because some of you will say that but yet be promoting someone like Grimes or Dell or even Kiffin or Freeze which if you still honestly look at their records thay haven't shown to be a consistent winner like the 3 above.  We are a good school, we deserve better than trying to get someone in our league that will burn out or be thrown out. 

Play this challenge...take a coach prospect and negative recruit them...that will show you their flaws if you are honest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Essentially.  G5 or bottom dwelling P5 school.  Certainly not a top 15 school

14 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

We should be taking a look at coaches that have a record at a program that have done well.  They are Head Coaches...they have done well at their place(s). 

You just described Bryan Harsin. 

I'm all about a search that actually evaluates and thoughtfully picks an active head coach, but coaching in this league is different and presents challenges not just any Big 12 flavor of the month guarantees any better results than a coordinator or anyone else. Right now, we need to recruit worse than anything. We are going to come into next year with a Vanderbilt level roster if we can't and we've got A LOT of ground to make up. If we don't play this right, we might very well be in the situation Tennessee is just now apparently getting out of. It's that bad. 

If this Helton thing has any reality to it, that tells me that this episode with Gus and Harsin has left Auburn in worse shape with a negative future and we Saturdays in fall might mean anything but football going forward. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I don't even care to discuss anymore because he isn't. Only by Auburn faithful, but he is respected. Auburn should Hire Deion. If he says no, see what Kiffin is talking about. If he is talking crazy then you go to Rhule. If Rhule doesn't want to come then the last line is Freeze.

Nope, Deion then Freeze

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1