A little birdy told me

TeamZero77

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Even better if you ask me 

Freeze gets alot of flack and yes he made mistakes. There is a reason Saban wanted him in his rehabilitation program. He would crush it here

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Nope, Deion then Freeze

This is where I'm at.  Both could be absurdly quick hires.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This is where I'm at.  Both could be absurdly quick hires.

No doubt both would be ready to go if offered 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

You just described Bryan Harsin. 

I'm all about a search that actually evaluates and thoughtfully picks an active head coach, but coaching in this league is different and presents challenges not just any Big 12 flavor of the month guarantees any better results than a coordinator or anyone else. Right now, we need to recruit worse than anything. We are going to come into next year with a Vanderbilt level roster if we can't and we've got A LOT of ground to make up. If we don't play this right, we might very well be in the situation Tennessee is just now apparently getting out of. It's that bad. 

If this Helton thing has any reality to it, that tells me that this episode with Gus and Harsin has left Auburn in worse shape with a negative future and we Saturdays in fall might mean anything but football going forward. 

You said I described Harsin but I didn't.  What I did do was throw 3 coaches out there that have had success at multiple programs.  They have shown they can win at multiple programs and still be in the top 15 win records of active coaches with a lot of years.  You cherry picked Big 12.  Have you watched any of these coaches teams this year? There are no guarantees which is true.  I also know that a coach who has 10 years being a HC is more proven than a coordinator who has ZERO experience as a HC or even a coach that has HC experience but has been fired and has a less record than what I presented. So do you not think that these coaches can't recruit? You would be wrong as they have been successful wherever they have been.

By your response, it tells me you have no clue on what or where these coaches have coached or what they have done.

11 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

That our next head coach was an Auburn QB and has a Pac 12 Championship and a Rose Bowl win on his resume. He is currently coaching and living in Georgia. 👀

Nope. Not happening.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Freeze has been talking with WV...6.5 a year is the rumor.  He seems to be waiting on AU unless they lock him down.

Guessing the SEC just won’t allow him.

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Guessing the SEC just won’t allow him.

Thinking more of WV has an AD and they are talking.  People aren't happy with Brown...so maybe behind the scenes there are talks going on.  Don't think it has anything to do with the SEC yet because we don't have an AD who has a short list...

10 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

There are no guarantees which is true.  I also know that a coach who has 10 years being a HC is more proven than a coordinator who has ZERO experience as a HC or even a coach that has HC experience but has been fired and has a less record than what I presented. So do you not think that these coaches can't recruit? You would be wrong as they have been successful wherever they have been.

By your response, it tells me you have no clue on what or where these coaches have coached or what they have done.

Brother, I don't really care. I've seen so many hot shot coaches from the Big 12, Big 10 and up and comers with little leagues come in and crash and burn hard that I don't really care who they are. A few work like Urban Meyer. Most don't. Kirby Smart was an unproven coordinator. Jimbo Fisher was an established head coach of multiple years with a ring. 

We have one issue right now... can they recruit at the highest level IN THE SEC right away? If the answer is no, I don't care who they are or what they did at Kansas. Kansas doesn't have to recruit against the top 2 programs in the nation for every recruit and as we found out with Harsin, if you aren't ready for that, you aren't ready to win at Auburn. If the coaches you list are capable, good. I hope we hire one. I just understand mentioning guys like Grimes, not because he has all of this head coaching experience, but because he is a PROVEN recruiter in the SEC who recruits at a high level and has done so against the best. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Brother, I don't really care. I've seen so many hot shot coaches from the Big 12, Big 10 and up and comers with little leagues come in and crash and burn hard that I don't really care who they are. A few work like Urban Meyer. Most don't. Kirby Smart was an unproven coordinator. Jimbo Fisher was an established head coach of multiple years with a ring. 

We have one issue right now... can they recruit at the highest level IN THE SEC right away? If the answer is no, I don't care who they are or what they did at Kansas. Kansas doesn't have to recruit against the top 2 programs in the nation for every recruit and as we found out with Harsin, if you aren't ready for that, you aren't ready to win at Auburn. If the coaches you list are capable, good. I hope we hire one. I just understand mentioning guys like Grimes, not because he has all of this head coaching experience, but because he is a PROVEN recruiter in the SEC who recruits at a high level and has done so against the best. 

So are you pulling for Grimes?  Seems like it.  You talk about recruiting, but there is more to running a program than recruiting. Jimbo got the #1 class and it is now falling apart over there.  Some are primed on leaving, NIL draws kids to places that they aren't in love with so they don't get playing time and decide to head on.  Welcome to the new world.  Grimes has picked up linemen looking at his all time stats. 

Curt Cignetti is better in my opinion and would be a good fit.  I think he knows the SEC better than Grimes.  Oh and he has a Ring under his belt also not as a HC though. 

Curt has also been a RC at a couple of major programs. But again as you said you don't care it is all about recruiting...

• Like 1

Just now, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Curt has also been a RC at a couple of major programs. But again as you said you don't care it is all about recruiting...

I don't know what Curt Cignetti can do here. I don't know what Hugh Freeze can do here. I know two things: Jeff Grimes is a solid coach and great recruiter and Auburn is going to have a disaster of a roster next year. 

Cignetti was with Alabama 12 years ago, so he understands what he would be getting into. He has an impressive record, mostly in smaller level football. He's certainly worth a look, but I fail to see how he's that large an improvement over a guy like Grimes. Both know the game of football, both have been a part of building multiple programs and both have zero head coaching experience on an SEC level. 

Right now, yeah. The thing I care most about is recruiting, because if we can't turn this roster around with some speed, we'll be right back in the spot we're in 3 or 4 years from now. There's a lot of guys that make sense to me. Sanders and Kiffen could excite the fan base, Grimes has a strong recruiting track record, Freeze has accomplished a lot with very little. I'm just not sure we have time to wait on someone to adjust and that's the challenge with hiring some up and comer from across the country. 

We both hope we make a good hire. I just don't see the automatic disdain for a guy like Grimes unless you are throwing a name like Kiffen at me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Thinking more of WV has an AD and they are talking.  People aren't happy with Brown...so maybe behind the scenes there are talks going on.  Don't think it has anything to do with the SEC yet because we don't have an AD who has a short list...

There is  short list I believe... The future AD may not know it. But there is already a short list LOL

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, AUINSY said:

This is 110% exactly what I’m saying. Auburn football is it’s own worst enemy. And if this happens, it might just gain me as an enemy too. If not as an enemy, than at least entirely apathetic and unenthusiastic alum concerning Auburn football. We will really be a basketball school if this happens. 

I've been in this boat for the last 5 yrs. 

The only coaching candidate I've seen rumored that could end my apathy and unenthusiastic mood for AU football is Coach Prime. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

So are you pulling for Grimes?  Seems like it.  You talk about recruiting, but there is more to running a program than recruiting. Jimbo got the #1 class and it is now falling apart over there.  Some are primed on leaving, NIL draws kids to places that they aren't in love with so they don't get playing time and decide to head on.  Welcome to the new world.  Grimes has picked up linemen looking at his all time stats. 

Curt Cignetti is better in my opinion and would be a good fit.  I think he knows the SEC better than Grimes.  Oh and he has a Ring under his belt also not as a HC though. 

What tells you “some are primed on leaving”? The three that are suspended indefinitely may be primed for leaving but that priming was instigated by aTm, not them. I believe 98% would suspend them, if what we have heard is true.

Edited by Hank2020

9 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I don't know what Curt Cignetti can do here. I don't know what Hugh Freeze can do here. I know two things: Jeff Grimes is a solid coach and great recruiter and Auburn is going to have a disaster of a roster next year. 

Cignetti was with Alabama 12 years ago, so he understands what he would be getting into. He has an impressive record, mostly in smaller level football. He's certainly worth a look, but I fail to see how he's that large an improvement over a guy like Grimes. Both know the game of football, both have been a part of building multiple programs and both have zero head coaching experience on an SEC level. 

Right now, yeah. The thing I care most about is recruiting, because if we can't turn this roster around with some speed, we'll be right back in the spot we're in 3 or 4 years from now. There's a lot of guys that make sense to me. Sanders and Kiffen could excite the fan base, Grimes has a strong recruiting track record, Freeze has accomplished a lot with very little. I'm just not sure we have time to wait on someone to adjust and that's the challenge with hiring some up and comer from across the country. 

We both hope we make a good hire. I just don't see the automatic disdain for a guy like Grimes unless you are throwing a name like Kiffen at me. 

Curt is a solid coach with many years of running a program, he has a winning record 105-33.  Dude has been the RC while coaching at UA & NC State.

43 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

I've been in this boat for the last 5 yrs. 

The only coaching candidate I've seen rumored that could end my apathy and unenthusiastic mood for AU football is Coach Prime. 

What if he doesn't have any interest in Auburn? Asking for a friend...

13 hours ago, cbo said:

Everything is not about the schedule. We don't even know what the schedule will look like in a couple years. Either way, the right coach would love to play the toughest teams. 

Let's quit acting like Auburn is some pathetic football program that would be lucky to get Dell McGee as HC. 

99% chance this Helton thing isn't true. If it is, it means we still have morons at the top. It wouldn't mean no one wants to coach AU football. 

This thread is almost as stupid as the thread that was started by a moderator a couple years ago about Gus being willing to take a less-than-market-value buyout.

Cut to the car chase: he didn't.

• Like 2