MSU Cohen as new AD?

gravejd

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

This is the same stupid s*** that got us in the mess we’re in right now - idiots going rogue and not getting all the players on the same page.

Can we fire Roberts at this point?  We seem hellbent on not learning from the past. 

It's not ideal, but Hoke thinks that people will put their hurt feelings to the side and give this regime a shot. Let's pray he's not, because if they have to go against the grain they're screwed and we'll be back here in three years.

Cross-posted from my post on eagle's nest for you free forum guys:

Generally, my understanding of what happened. Everyone was on board for Hartwell. PTB, other coaches, etc. We had no interest from other SEC/P5 ADs.   Hartwell was the product of a traditional AD search.

Then a consulting company was brought in to do a non-traditional search, you know, kick the tires type of thing. Just to see if any potential candidates had slipped through the cracks.

everything after this is my conjecture:

The consulting company did its search and got its results to Roberts in the last month. At the top of their list was Cohen. Roberts interviews him.

Cohen guarantees a Matt Rhule type hire (or even Rhule himself) in the interview with such confidence or proof of interest by the coach that Roberts felt he had to pull the trigger on Cohen to make a huge home run hire.

Some of this is conjecture based upon the inside info I’ve heard but I find it to be pretty plausible and a reason for the Cohen hire out of left field. 

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, au302 said:

It's not ideal, but Hoke thinks that people will put their hurt feelings to the side and give this regime a shot. Let's pray he's not, because if they have to go against the grain they're screwed and we'll be back here in three years.

Yeah.  That's what people said with Greene and Harsin too.  They'll give them a shot until things aren't going well and then all hell breaks loose.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Didba said:

Cross-posted from my post on eagle's nest for you free forum guys:

Generally, my understanding of what happened. Everyone was on board for Hartwell. PTB, other coaches, etc. We had no interest from other SEC/P5 ADs.   Hartwell was the product of a traditional AD search.

everything after this is my conjecture:

Then a consulting company was brought in to do a non-traditional search, you know, kick the tires type of thing. Just to see if any potential candidates had slipped through the cracks.

The consulting company did its search and got its results to Roberts in the last month. At the top of their list was Cohen. Roberts interviews him.

Cohen guarantees a Matt Rhule type hire (or even Rhule himself) in the interview with such confidence or proof of interest by the coach that Roberts felt he had to pull the trigger on Cohen to make a huge home run hire.

Some of this is conjecture based upon the inside info I’ve heard but I find it to be pretty plausible and a reason for the Cohen hire out of left field. 

I dunno, Roberts has been around long enough to know better than that.

`

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

I dunno, Roberts has been around long enough to know better than that.

I know I am not an insider but, some of my reply is not conjecture but confirmed info. Just an FYI.

• Like 1

I still don't see why we dislike this Cohen guy. I mean if he can deliver someone like Rhule that is major in my eyes. But at the end of the day, you cannot make everyone very happy either. It is what it is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I still don't see why we dislike this Cohen guy. I mean if he can deliver someone like Rhule that is major in my eyes. But at the end of the day, you cannot make everyone very happy either. It is what it is.

He literally could have made everyone happy.  He chose not to.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Just now, TitanTiger said:

He literally could have made everyone happy.  He chose not to.

Titan I respectively disagree. If it was Hartwell people would've said why the hell did it take so long? If it was Rich it was a JABA Hire. Quite frankly I would've really liked Nunez. The Cohen one came out of left field for sure, but it sounds like he knocked the interview out of the park and the firm hired by Auburn did their job. I still question this "methodical process" but I think ultimately we had to get someone in here and no matter who it would've been, they would've been vilified by some entity.

Now, Cohen can really get people on board , IF he gets in here and have a major plan starting with getting freaking rid of CBH ASAP. 

• Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

Titan I respectively disagree. If it was Hartwell people would've said why the hell did it take so long? If it was Rich it was a JABA Hire. Quite frankly I would've really liked Nunez.

I'm not talking about making every single Auburn fan happy.  I'm talking about making the Important People at Auburn happy.  He had options in front of him that those folks were all good with, whichever way he went.  He decided to go rogue and has gotten significant pushback.  It's the same stupid mistake Greene made with Harsin.  And it seems Roberts likes repeating the past and expecting different results.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I'm not talking about making every single Auburn fan happy.  I'm talking about making the Important People at Auburn happy.  He had options in front of him that those folks were all good with, whichever way he went.  He decided to go rogue and has gotten significant pushback.  It's the same stupid mistake Greene made with Harsin.  And it seems Roberts likes repeating the past and expecting different results.

Well, I am going to repeat this. They gave him full autonomy. By doing that, they have to own their own admission in doing that. You cannot play it both ways.  Now at the end of the day, Roberts will have to live and die by his decision just like AG did. But those people chose to give both of these individuals full autonomy supposedly.

• Like 3

Roberts isn’t popular at the moment with a lot of the backers that’s for sure, but he was definitely listening to some. 

That’s why I was hearing different than the insider info on this board.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well, I am going to repeat this. They gave him full autonomy. By doing that, they have to own their own admission in doing that. You cannot play it both ways.  Now at the end of the day, Roberts will have to live and die by his decision just like AG did. But those people chose to give both of these individuals full autonomy supposedly.

They gave him autonomy in the context of there being a lot of good communication between Roberts and them.  Everyone was on the same page - until Roberts decided to call an audible and spring it on everyone at the last second.  He'd better hope to God it's a smashing success because right now it reeks of not learning the lessons of the past.  It's literally the dumb thing Greene did that has us in this current mess.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

They gave him autonomy in the context of there being a lot of good communication between Roberts and them.  Everyone was on the same page - until Roberts decided to call an audible and spring it on everyone at the last second.  He'd better hope to God it's a smashing success because right now it reeks of not learning the lessons of the past.  It's literally the dumb thing Greene did that has us in this current mess.

Who was the choice that AG didn’t choose? Who did the PTB agree on to be the coach?

Just now, imaolgatiger said:

Who was the choice that AG didn’t choose? Who did the PTB agree on to be the coach?

Allen Greene went rogue on the PTB and chose Harsin instead of someone the money people were on board with.  Roberts is going rogue and doing the same thing with the AD hire.

• Like 1

Allen Greene went rogue on the PTB and chose Harsin instead of someone the money people were on board with.  Roberts is going rogue and doing the same thing with the AD hire.

I get that…who were the money people’s options that AG passed on?

Just now, imaolgatiger said:

I get that…who were the money people’s options that AG passed on?

There were various options at the time.  Do we really have to rehash that?  It's not really the point.  The point is, Harsin wasn't even on the C-list for any of them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Would you rather have Cohen or McGlynn, just curious?

We were soooo close to getting Hartwell and finally having our house in order. :banghead:

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Would you rather have Cohen or McGlynn, just curious?

Good lord.  Sophie's Choice.  The Guy Roberts Told the PTB to Shove it Up Their Ass over vs One Step Above Tim Jackson.  Just shoot me in the head.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

We were soooo close to getting Hartwell and finally having our house in order. :banghead:

Yep.

23 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Good lord.  Sophie's Choice.  The Guy Roberts Told the PTB to Shove it Up Their Ass over vs One Step Above Tim Jackson.  Just shoot me in the head.

Yep.

What's frustrating to me is that there was nothing that could've indicated this would happen. Can Roberts convince the PTB to go along with this and support it, unlike with Greene and Harsin? It's just mind boggling that somehow we were able to get our house in order on the hardwood and on the diamond, yet the gridiron seems to somehow turn everything to rot.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am in agreement with your general thinking because I don't agree with the common thought that money men are all united. Seems like there are several factions of money men, and that's the main issue. No more days of all of them falling in line with Coach PD and Lowder.

So you can't appease everyone. While one money group may like you, the next may be waiting to pounce once you screw up. You really do have to shoot your shot and pray you make it. If Gogue and Allen made there's, they'd be heroes. Same will happen with Roberts and Cohen in the next few weeks. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Donors always want reciprocal control and part of leadership is consensus building. But the leader can’t be rogue, just incompetent. Otherwise it’s just puppet stuff.

I work with boards and execs on clarity with roles and responsibilities - streamlining. I can tell you what is being alluded to about AU’s structure rarely comes to good answers, is always slow, and misfires constantly. Getting  to  right answers would be sheer luck. It may be JABA - but, competitively, it’s also roadkill.

Edited by auburnatl1

34 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Donors always want reciprocal control and part of leadership is consensus building. But the leader can’t be rogue, just incompetent. Otherwise it’s just puppet stuff.

I work with boards and execs on clarity with roles and responsibilities - streamlining. I can tell you what is being alluded to about AU’s structure rarely comes to good answers, is always slow, and misfires constantly. Getting  to  right answers would be sheer luck. It may be JABA - but, competitively, it’s also roadkill.

0eb466b3-cd7e-4d8c-b798-9f232b324107_tex