MSU Cohen as new AD?

gravejd

Water under the bridge. We’re all packed now. Let’s get this trip started.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

My point is, it’s all message board stuff. There’s nothing out there solid that I know of that can point to any Auburn coach who loves or hates Cohen. So deciding that “ if Bruce likes him he must be ok” is just silly. 

good point!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You can disagree all you want, but I'm telling you what what going on.  There was pushback and it was/is significant.  Maybe it can be smoothed over.  But if history teaches us anything about Auburn it's that when you decide to go off script like this, you better be damn sure it's a smashing success, because the second it isn't, the people who weren't happy at the start are going to let it be known this was never their choice.  

And having the backing of "2 or 3 important people" even if it were true, wasn't what we were trying to do.  There's always been that. The problem is the other people who aren't on board.  We were supposed to be doing things differently this time and once again we've decided to be dysfunctional.

And by the same token u can disagree with me all you want. You keep pushing this narrative that ALL parties were supposed to be in alignment on this hire of the AD. That simply will never happen. Never has at AU and I doubt it ever will.  I'm surprised u think this time would be different. I bet they can't all even decide on what's for lunch, much less all be aligned on the AD hire. BTW, it will be the same case when we hire a coach. I'm surprised,  that your surprised about how this went down. Green and Gouge may have went rogue. Roberts didn't. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

No need to stroke out people.  The plan is in place. The first domino will fall today or tomorrow.  The head coach will be named in a month or so. It's hilarious some of u think Cohen will employ a search committee and scour the country for a head coach. There isn't time for that. The plan is set. Cohen is on board with it. He has a very very short list to choose from. Sit back and enjoy...

Where are you getting this info from?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

You keep pushing this narrative that ALL parties were supposed to be in alignment on this hire of the AD. That simply will never happen

I think he's telling you it WAS the case with Hartwell. It doesn't sound to me like he's guessing. 

Just now, Viper said:

Just now, Viper said:

Different places, mostly from just listening to what I hear and trying to apply common sense ( which sometimes gets u in trouble at AU). It's mostly based on the fact that there are 2 or 3 people at AU who call the shots in the athletic dept. Study them, their past habits and u can gain alot of insight.

Disclaimer. I didn't do the above when I predicted Harsjn wouldn't get fired this year... I went rogue LOL

3 minutes ago, WarrrEagleHey said:

I think he's telling you it WAS the case with Hartwell. It doesn't sound to me like he's guessing. 

If the 2 or 3 people who call the shots wanted Hartwell . They would've hired him

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Different places, mostly from just listening to what I hear and trying to apply common sense

I don't see how if you're just listening to what you hear or gleam from folks on other forums, that you can be so bold to trump what the chief MOD has heard.

We know he has legit connections. Do you?

17 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

And by the same token u can disagree with me all you want. You keep pushing this narrative that ALL parties were supposed to be in alignment on this hire of the AD. That simply will never happen. Never has at AU and I doubt it ever will.  I'm surprised u think this time would be different. I bet they can't all even decide on what's for lunch, much less all be aligned on the AD hire. BTW, it will be the same case when we hire a coach. I'm surprised,  that your surprised about how this went down. Green and Gouge may have went rogue. Roberts didn't. 

I'm not pushing a narrative.  I'm telling you reality.  There was complete alignment with Hartwell.  There was with Nunez too.  This was Auburn finally getting its s*** together and pulling in the same direction.  Then Roberts veered off script.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

If the 2 or 3 people who call the shots wanted Hartwell . They would've hired him

The entire point this time was to stop doing it that way and to get all the Important People on the same page together, not just 2 or 3 people.

Ultimately it comes down to whom this AD can get. I have hope that he can get Rhule or Deion. Totally fine with not getting Hartwell/Grimes if this occurs 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Remember our discussion about group think? It is playing out now. There are different factions with different pieces. All who have their own truth. Sounds like Roberts pulled the rope a dope and people can’t handle it. 

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm not pushing a narrative.  I'm telling you reality.  There was complete alignment with Hartwell.  There was with Nunez too.  This was Auburn finally getting its s*** together and pulling in the same direction.  Then Roberts veered off script.  

So, I just want to make sure that I understand what your saying... When u say Roberts veered off script... Are you saying he didn't get approval from anyone to hire  Cohen?  Roberts went solo?

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ultimately it comes down to whom this AD can get. I have hope that he can get Rhule or Deion. Totally fine with not getting Hartwell/Grimes if this occurs 

I agree. The HC hire is more important than the AD hire

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Remember our discussion about group think? It is playing out now. There are different factions with different pieces. All who have their own truth. Sounds like Roberts pulled the rope a dope and people can’t handle it. 

Whats funny is people thought it would be different and everyone would align . Just won't ever happen at AU, not how we roll

55 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You can disagree all you want, but I'm telling you what what going on.  There was pushback and it was/is significant.  Maybe it can be smoothed over.  But if history teaches us anything about Auburn it's that when you decide to go off script like this, you better be damn sure it's a smashing success, because the second it isn't, the people who weren't happy at the start are going to let it be known this was never their choice.  

And having the backing of "2 or 3 important people" even if it were true, wasn't what we were trying to do.  There's always been that. The problem is the other people who aren't on board.  We were supposed to be doing things differently this time and once again we've decided to be dysfunctional.

The only “smashing hires” Auburn has made in the past 20 or so years has been Bruce Pearl and Butch T. And it took two years for them to show they were in fact “smashing”. Off script or on script Auburn just can’t seem to get it right. And now we have the same bickering over the football program I have seen my entire life. It’s exhausting.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Viper said:

I don't see how if you're just listening to what you hear or gleam from folks on other forums, that you can be so bold to trump what the chief MOD has heard.

I missed it. What did the chief mod hear?

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

So, I just want to make sure that I understand what your saying... When u say Roberts veered off script... Are you saying he didn't get approval from anyone to hire  Cohen?  Roberts went solo?

Cohen wasn't anyone's pick among the power players.  If he got any approval at all, it was with maybe a couple of people he sold the idea to and then he tried to rush it through for God only knows what reason.  Or he thought Cohen was so head and shoulders above the rest that everyone would get on board and he overplayed his hand.  I'm just telling you, there's been significant pushback and it surprised virtually everyone.

And the entire point of hiring Roberts was that we were going to do this different than the way we've done it before.  Even if he did get 2 or 3 to back him (which I don't have any intel supporting such a notion), that's the typical Auburn way of doing these things and it's one of the biggest contributing factors to why we can't be consistent or get the big fish coaching hires we desire.  There's just always this 800-lb gorilla in the room of Auburn's dysfunctional PTB, dividing into camps with one group backing this guy and another camp or two backing others and a struggle to see who can exert their influence on the final decision.  This time we were going to preempt all that bull**** and get all these guys pulling together and generating consensus.  

Roberts decided to revert to the same s*** we've been doing for the better part of 20 years.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Viper said:

I didn't say I was listening to forums. It's really simple to me. At AU there has always been 2 or 3 folks who call the shots. Those people have changed names over the years but the process hasn't.  Now, some are upset because they were so sure AU would all align and sing Kombyya on this AD hire. It didn't happen and it won't on the HC hire. It's really that simple. Follow the 2 or 3 decision makers , see who their favorites are and connect the dots. Greene didn't do that and u see what happened to him.

• Like 1

Everything I have read about this Cohen seems competent . Yes miss on a few hires but Miss state also had major success under his helm. He seems to be an analytical guy and he also has helped with infrastructure growth there. There was also talk that he penny pinched but it seems the opposite. He wanted Miss State to spend money. The only negative it seems to me is the power people were not included in his acceptance by Roberts. 

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I didn't say I was listening to forums. It's really simple to me. At AU there has always been 2 or 3 folks who call the shots. Those people have changed names over the years but the process hasn't.  Now, some are upset because they were so sure AU would all align and sing Kombyya on this AD hire. It didn't happen and it won't on the HC hire. It's really that simple. Follow the 2 or 3 decision makers , see who their favorites are and connect the dots. Greene didn't do that and u see what happened to him.

My question is do you think Freeze would still be a play with Cohen? Or are you saying it really doesn’t matter, it is up to the power players influence ?

9 hours ago, The Freak said:

I dunno, Roberts has been around long enough to know better than that.

The process was for Roberts to make a decision, then discuss it with everyone before signing off.  Some people said they don't like the choice.  That is how it is supposed to work.  The problem- HOKES of the world get info during this step and talks about "pushback" Auburn people freak out.  If Cohen declines our offer, then Auburn people freak out again.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Auburn93 said:

The process was for Roberts to make a decision, then discuss it with everyone before signing off.  Some people said they don't like the choice.  That is how it is supposed to work.  The problem- HOKES of the world get info during this step and talks about "pushback" Auburn people freak out.  If Cohen declines our offer, then Auburn people freak out again.  

Thank you.....damn I'm tired of all this. Roberts is supposed to make his choice and then get feedback. Someone (MSU people) decided to poison the well. But hey....it's the AUBURN WAY.