MSU Cohen as new AD?

gravejd

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Cohen wasn't anyone's pick among the power players.  If he got any approval at all, it was with maybe a couple of people he sold the idea to and then he tried to rush it through for God only knows what reason.  Or he thought Cohen was so head and shoulders above the rest that everyone would get on board and he overplayed his hand.  I'm just telling you, there's been significant pushback and it surprised virtually everyone.

And the entire point of hiring Roberts was that we were going to do this different than the way we've done it before.  Even if he did get 2 or 3 to back him (which I don't have any intel supporting such a notion), that's the typical Auburn way of doing these things and it's one of the biggest contributing factors to why we can't be consistent or get the big fish coaching hires we desire.  There's just always this 800-lb gorilla in the room of Auburn's dysfunctional PTB, dividing into camps with one group backing this guy and another camp or two backing others and a struggle to see who can exert their influence on the final decision.  This time we were going to preempt all that bull**** and get all these guys pulling together and generating consensus.  

Roberts decided to revert to the same s*** we've been doing for the better part of 20 years.

Ok. If this is indeed what happened, Roberts will be fired before long just like everyone else does that bucks certain PTB. I disagree with that cause I think he got approval from the 2 most important ones. Just as u stated above about the 800 LB gorilla in the room. I'm not trying to necessarily be " right" here. I just think it's naive to think all of the sudden everybody at AU is on the same page.

5 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Communication and alignment. Building a consensus takes time. But it's requirement at this level of management. Things get handled quietly. Don't ever deviate from those two basic tenets of leadership. Look at the last 24 hours. This rookie mistake can still be fixed.

What mistake?  That someone leaked info that some people disagreed with Roberts' guy?

8 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Same old Auburn stuff. What’s the old saying about insanity again? The Football program will remain in purgatory because too many people with a checkbook wants to micromanage it. Tragic because Auburn has all the potential in the SEC, but can’t seem to get out of its own way. 

This is a myth created by message boards.  We are just privy to the ongoing discussions in the selection of an AD.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

My question is do you think Freeze would still be a play with Cohen? Or are you saying it really doesn’t matter, it is up to the power players influence ?

I think Freeze is the preferred pick of  A VERY IMPORTANT power broker at AU. I also think that Cohen has been given a very short list with Danny Hugh's name at the top. I dont think it would be a good career move for Cohen to buck certain PTB right off the bat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Ok. If this is indeed what happened, Roberts will be fired before long just like everyone else does that bucks certain PTB. I disagree with that cause I think he got approval from the 2 most important ones.

And once again, it wasn't supposed to be that way this time.

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Just as u stated above about the 800 LB gorilla in the room. I'm not trying to necessarily be " right" here. I just think it's naive to think all of the sudden everybody at AU is on the same page.

They were with Hartwell.  They were with Nunez.  Roberts wanted to go after a bigger name and decided to forsake that alignment, either by going solo and stupidly believing he could get everyone behind it, or by reverting to Typical Auburn Stupidity and only getting a couple of folks on board before pushing it through.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

The plan was to finally get alignment between the people who matter at Auburn, the AU administration and the football coach. It’s all anyone associated with this entire situation has been preaching for weeks. No more factions and infighting. No more lack of communication and going rogue. It was what Roberts was finally going to bring to the table. And the first thing he does is veer off and do his own thing and try to rush it through. 

It’s stupid and a repeat of all the dumb s*** that got us in this mess we’re in now. People at Auburn never ******* learn. 

I don't think so.  He didn't veer off.  It's called looking for the best fit and discussing it with the BOT and our donors. Now, I hope Cohen is for the NIL and other important things. The PLAN is to find a winning candidate.  What if Cohen can bring the best head coach?  That is what I will be looking for. 

Edited by Auburn93

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

They were with Hartwell.  They were with Nunez.  Roberts wanted to go after a bigger name and decided to forsake that alignment, either by going solo and stupidly believing he could get everyone behind it, or by reverting to Typical Auburn Stupidity and only getting a couple of folks on board before pushing it through.

I get that. But why did u think it would be different.  Unless the 2 main players were on board there would be no complete alignment.  I just can't believe if 1 of the 2 main players told Roberts not to hire Cohen that he would proceed and hire him. It's been this way at AU for 40 years

Edited by NWALA Tiger

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm glad you know Chris better than everyone else. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm not pushing a narrative.  I'm telling you reality.  There was complete alignment with Hartwell.  There was with Nunez too.  This was Auburn finally getting its s*** together and pulling in the same direction.  Then Roberts veered off script.  

He didn't veer off script.  He wants to win.  He found another option.  He chooses the AD.  He is the president.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

I don't think so.  He didn't veer off.  It's called looking for the best fit and discussing it with the BOT and our donors. Now, I hope Cohen is for the NIL and other important things. The PLAN is to find a winning candidate.  What if Cohen can bring the best head coach?  That is what I will be looking for. 

If he's not, then he should find a new industry to work in.

The very first thing I'm doing as AD is making sure our NIL is the best of the best. It's like what an AD would do 5 years ago but now you can put it in email and text lol

Amazing how many people these days are energized by negativity. Pretty well ANY new AD or HC will be met with hostility by a healthy percentage of Auburn followers/fans. "We've been burned too many times" blah blah. The difference between now and just 5 yrs ago is the number of auburnites that totally buy into rumors and sourceless "stories", whipping themsleves into a quasi-informed frenzy and personalizing their opinions. Consider the source (or lack thereof), view it skeptically (esp social media) and do your own research people.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I'm glad you know Chris better than everyone else. 

I don't claim to know the man's heart.  I'm just telling you that there was a process and a way of doing this being followed and it was designed to avoid the typical Auburn faction infighting and get all the power folks pulling the same direction and he decided to surprise everyone for God only knows what reason.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't claim to know the man's heart.  I'm just telling you that there was a process and a way of doing this being followed and it was designed to avoid the typical Auburn faction infighting and get all the power folks pulling the same direction and he decided to surprise everyone for God only knows what reason.  

The power folks need to align with Auburn and Auburn only. They tend to be the problem more often than not. I don't believe for 1 second that Chris Roberts went totally rouge on this. At least on purpose. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

He didn't veer off script.  He wants to win.  He found another option.  He chooses the AD.  He is the president.  

He did veer off script and you'd have to have lived in a cave the last 2 months not to comprehend that.  Everyone wants to win.  That's what everyone at Auburn who has influence, money and position in the admin says and probably believes in their heart.  But the problem over and over has been that unlike other places who experience more consistent success, Auburn hasn't had all or at least the overwhelming majority of these people all working together.  The hire of Roberts was supposed to usher in a change to that Auburn way of doing these things.  It was supposed to be a guy who'd know how to work with all these folks, build consensus, foster good communication and buy-in, and get us all pulling in the same direction together.  The way this Cohen thing has gone down is the exact opposite of that.  Whether he did so thinking he could convince everyone to jump on board quickly, or he reverted to the tired Auburn script of "curry favor with 2 or 3 of the big boys and run with it," it wasn't smart.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I didn't say I was listening to forums. It's really simple to me. At AU there has always been 2 or 3 folks who call the shots. Those people have changed names over the years but the process hasn't.  Now, some are upset because they were so sure AU would all align and sing Kombyya on this AD hire. It didn't happen and it won't on the HC hire. It's really that simple. Follow the 2 or 3 decision makers , see who their favorites are and connect the dots. Greene didn't do that and u see what happened to him.

youre-amazing-alan-rickman.gif

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

What mistake?

See above and other places. Look for it. The "script" includes keeping everyone important in the know. Doesn't mean you have 100% buy in, but at least THEY know before the world knows. That's the mistake.

Edited by slyinsocal

27 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

What mistake?  That someone leaked info that some people disagreed with Roberts' guy?

This is a myth created by message boards.  We are just privy to the ongoing discussions in the selection of an AD.  

Ok then why has Auburn struggled at hiring the right guy like UGA, UF, LSU, USCe, etc. other schools hire a coach get them what they need and support them. Even if it’s dissent you rarely if ever hear it played out publicly. Our football program has major mismanagement issues, and it’s about time someone gets it right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Our football program has major mismanagement issues, and it’s about time someone gets it right.

Exactly. A myth/rumor struggles to persist if it's fully fabricated. The reason this has legs is because it has played out in real time again and again. Roberts was the guy that was going to get us moving in a new direction, and in his first major public decision it appears he has defaulted to the same old $#&!?@. It's exhausting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Different places, mostly from just listening to what I hear and trying to apply common sense ( which sometimes gets u in trouble at AU). It's mostly based on the fact that there are 2 or 3 people at AU who call the shots in the athletic dept. Study them, their past habits and u can gain alot of insight.

Disclaimer. I didn't do the above when I predicted Harsjn wouldn't get fired this year... I went rogue LOL

No offense, but I really wouldn’t act like an insider if you aren’t one. Our real insiders catch enough hell as it is. 

5 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

No offense, but I really wouldn’t act like an insider if you aren’t one. Our real insiders catch enough hell as it is. 

No offense taken . Never once said I was an insider. Go back and read some of my other posts. I explained how I came to my conclusions.  I like to research and find out things for myself  and formulate my opinion from that. You dont have to agree with or even read what I post. I didn't realize u had to be an insider to do such on a message board. All opinions should be welcome, not just ones that agree with the "insiders". I enjoyed my debate with TitanTiger.  I hope he did as well.

I am of the opinion that before we hire a new AD, the PTB would get rid of Harsin first. Do we want our brand new AD's first major act to be firing our football HC? Kind of gets them started with something negative. Makes more sense for his first big thing to be hiring the new coach, not firing the old one first. Just my opinion on how that should be handled.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ranger12 said:

I am of the opinion that before we hire a new AD, the PTB would get rid of Harsin first. Do we want our brand new AD's first major act to be firing our football HC? Kind of gets them started with something negative. Makes more sense for his first big thing to be hiring the new coach, not firing the old one first. Just my opinion on how that should be handled.

That is the juicy rumor. The reason Harsin was late to his presser Sat.  He was fired. Cohen had accepted.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He did veer off script and you'd have to have lived in a cave the last 2 months not to comprehend that.  Everyone wants to win.  That's what everyone at Auburn who has influence, money and position in the admin says and probably believes in their heart.  But the problem over and over has been that unlike other places who experience more consistent success, Auburn hasn't had all or at least the overwhelming majority of these people all working together.  The hire of Roberts was supposed to usher in a change to that Auburn way of doing these things.  It was supposed to be a guy who'd know how to work with all these folks, build consensus, foster good communication and buy-in, and get us all pulling in the same direction together.  The way this Cohen thing has gone down is the exact opposite of that.  Whether he did so thinking he could convince everyone to jump on board quickly, or he reverted to the tired Auburn script of "curry favor with 2 or 3 of the big boys and run with it," it wasn't smart.

Roberts ONLY job in this situation is to hire the best AD possible, not to cow-tail to a groups of fat cats.  If some of the powers that be get their panties in a wad so be it.  They'll have to get over it.  Personally I think Cohen is the best choice of the known candidates.  The most important hire is to hire a winner as head coach.  If this is done by Cohen/Roberts it will solve the problem.  Winning cures all ills.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1