MSU Cohen as new AD?

gravejd

Being totally clueless about who would make the best AD, I listened to rumors and had sold myself on the idea of Hartwell. So, the Cohen thing disappoints me to some extent. However, I'm hoping that the PTB will make the right decision.

17 minutes ago, Ranger12 said:

I am of the opinion that before we hire a new AD, the PTB would get rid of Harsin first. Do we want our brand new AD's first major act to be firing our football HC? Kind of gets them started with something negative. Makes more sense for his first big thing to be hiring the new coach, not firing the old one first. Just my opinion on how that should be handled.

If it's Cohen, he has no problem firing coaches. A lot of people would view it as a positive and jump for joy with relief at the news.

10 minutes ago, Ranger12 said:

I am of the opinion that before we hire a new AD, the PTB would get rid of Harsin first. Do we want our brand new AD's first major act to be firing our football HC? Kind of gets them started with something negative. Makes more sense for his first big thing to be hiring the new coach, not firing the old one first. Just my opinion on how that should be handled.

They could have paid him and wished him bon voyage already. Either current admin is too intimidated to go fire him; or they already know the firing point is not til December or later (for some reason); or they don't plan to do a simple 'here's your check bye' dismissal, and want to have the whole staff in place for some legal battle.

Anyway, unless you have firsthand knowledge of the situation and communicate with the primaries, you're working with your unique model of people and processes pieced together from rumors of unknown certainty. Fine for speculation but these impassioned extrapolations to "here's how it went down in detail", and "here's the detailed strategy going forward" get bizarre. But that's what makes fan boards so entertaining.

2 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

Roberts ONLY job in this situation is to hire the best AD possible, not to cow-tail to a groups of fat cats.  If some of the powers that be get their panties in a wad so be it.  They'll have to get over it.  Personally I think Cohen is the best choice of the known candidates.  The most important hire is to hire a winner as head coach.  If this is done by Cohen/Roberts it will solve the problem.  Winning cures all ills.

You aren't getting it.  This wasn't a "kow tow to fat cats" situation.  It was understanding the reality at EVERY major college sports program is that there are influential people who matter when it comes to hires/fires, overall direction of the program, money for major facilities, and so on.  And with NIL it's only more so.  

Auburn has had a problem over the last 20 years or so with a disconnect between those people and the administration, or that those people were not all working together and there were factions.  The promise of Roberts was that we were finally going to stop doing business that way and get all the major people together and pulling in the same direction with the admin.  It has hurt us in our ability to get major facility upgrades and it has hurt us in our coaching searches because of this lack of "alignment."  And up until Saturday, Roberts was operating that way.  He was working with all the major players, keeping lines of communication open, listening to their input, keeping consensus and buy-in and so on.  The move to Cohen was not in line with that way of doing things and surprised a lot of people.  So no, his only job was bigger than just choosing an AD on his own or even with the backing of 2 or 3 people.  It was to reorient Auburn in the way it does these things.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

If the new A.D., who most have never heard of before Saturday, has everyone this rustled, can’t wait to see what happens when we hire a new coach. 

I know. Gonna be interesting to see how people react to Deion coming to the plains. 

8 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

If the new A.D., who most have never heard of before Saturday, has everyone this rustled, can’t wait to see what happens when we hire a new coach. 

chip.PNG

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

You aren't getting it.  This wasn't a "kow tow to fat cats" situation.  It was understanding the reality at EVERY major college sports program is that there are influential people who matter when it comes to hires/fires, overall direction of the program, money for major facilities, and so on.  And with NIL it's only more so.  

Auburn has had a problem over the last 20 years or so with a disconnect between those people and the administration, or that those people were not all working together and there were factions.  The promise of Roberts was that we were finally going to stop doing business that way and get all the major people together and pulling in the same direction with the admin.  It has hurt us in our ability to get major facility upgrades and it has hurt us in our coaching searches because of this lack of "alignment."  And up until Saturday, Roberts was operating that way.  He was working with all the major players, keeping lines of communication open, listening to their input, keeping consensus and buy-in and so on.  The move to Cohen was not in line with that way of doing things and surprised a lot of people.  So no, his only job was bigger than just choosing an AD on his own or even with the backing of 2 or 3 people.  It was to reorient Auburn in the way it does these things.

Yeah I am disappointed in the way that things went down, I was hoping Roberts was actually going to get things better squared away but so far looks like JABA over and over. No idea how messed up things must be in administration but as an alum gets old seeing the University look like it's being run by keystone cops (insert your own analogy), just more ammo for other univeristies and media to poke fun, I mean thats always fun reading the daily media rags dragging us in the mud ( and rightfully so).

I still hope that Roberts is able to achieve those objectives that you mentioned but so far the AD hire has not been a good look, hope somehow they are able to shore things up and get the ship turned around in the right direction. :)

Yes, let's appease the PTB and all the other people just because so they can continue to meddle and not let a coach run his program. Not sure why folks are so supportive of that level of micromanaging. I get trying to give everyone what they want but that is not reality. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Yes, let's appease the PTB and all the other people just because so they can continue to meddle and not let a coach run his program. Not sure why folks are so supportive of that level of micromanaging. I get trying to give everyone what they want but that is not reality. 

A complete misread of the situation or what people are trying to explain here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

A complete misread of the situation or what people are trying to explain here.

I didn't misread anything. I get what you are saying. Let Roberts live and die by his choice. He's a President after all. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Looks like it's just about official.  I'm excited for whatever that's worth.

Yes, especially if it allows us to start making needed changes!

This is gonna be interesting folks. From all accounts, Cohen is a lot different than Jacobs/ADAG personality wise. He is an old school, tough, stubborn, SOB baseball coach type that doesn't take **** from anyone.

State fans said when he got promoted to AD over there, he basically went Elon mode and had a ton of people clean out their offices. He may have also sparred with the boosters (allegedly). However, he's been successful in this league as a coach and AD to the extent one can at a school like State.