MSU Cohen as new AD?

gravejd

4 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

If there really are assurances that he will run his own athletic department, I think this is a good thing, hope it is really true and that the PTB allow this.

A wink and a nod was included with that

2 hours ago, Ranger12 said:

I am of the opinion that before we hire a new AD, the PTB would get rid of Harsin first. Do we want our brand new AD's first major act to be firing our football HC? Kind of gets them started with something negative. Makes more sense for his first big thing to be hiring the new coach, not firing the old one first. Just my opinion on how that should be handled.

Noted, but not how it works. 

It sounds like there was a large contingent that backed Hartwell all these weeks and everyone was aligned and supporting the guy.  Then something happened and we see an about-face with Cohen popping up out of nowhere.  Now some folks are pissy again and a bunch are fractured again.

Good Lord!  Why does Auburn always have such fickle puppet masters? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

I didn't misread anything. I get what you are saying. Let Roberts live and die by his choice. He's a President after all. 

It's not micromanaging, appeasing to meddlers, kow towing, or anything else. It's called a simple courtesy. A line of communication. Let important people know BEFORE it goes public. Of course it's the president's call to make.

5 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

It sounds like there was a large contingent that backed Hartwell all these weeks and everyone was aligned and supporting the guy.  Then something happened and we see an about-face with Cohen popping up out of nowhere.  Now some folks are pissy again and a bunch are fractured again.

The "puppet masters" weren't fickle on this.  The president threw them a last minute curveball.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

A wink and a nod was included with that

Seriously.  That language is meaningless window dressing.  Auburn - just like every other major college athletic department - will let the AD run the department until enough of the big money people stop stroking checks because they don't like the direction things are going or how you're doing things.  There is no such thing as an AD at this level that gets to make all the major decisions without working closely with these folks and building consensus. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The "puppet masters" weren't fickle on this.  The president threw them a last minute curveball.

I guess it would be interesting to know why it changed the last minute, whats up with that...lol.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Seriously.  That language is meaningless window dressing.  Auburn - just like every other major college athletic department - will let the AD run the department until enough of the big money people stop stroking checks because they don't like the direction things are going or how you're doing things.  There is no such thing as an AD at this level that gets to make all the major decisions without working closely with these folks and building consensus. 

I'm not sure why u are throwing shade to me. Every sentence u typed above is a detailed explanation of a wink and a nod. 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah thats just reality and the way things have always been done. Winning cures a lot of those issues, it's when your not winning and have other issues that it becomes a problem.

Just now, bishoptf said:

I guess it would be interesting to know why it changed the last minute, whats up with that...lol.

Still trying to get to the bottom of that one.  The best I've got right now is that Roberts really valued P5/SEC experience and wanted as big a name as he could feasibly get.  And while I sort of get why someone might feel that way about the experience thing, I don't understand why he decided to do it the way he did.  And I hope it doesn't come back to haunt him - and us.

• Like 1

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm not sure why u are throwing shade to me. Every sentence u typed above is a detailed explanation of a wink and a nod. 

I wasn't.  I was agreeing with you.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah but @ Auburn …let’s just say it’s been a tid bit different than what goes on at other schools. Curious to see where we are in 3-5 years, I for one hope in a more consistent, unilateral place.

16 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Just adds to the mess the new AD has to deal with as if firing and hiring a new head football coach wasn't enough to deal with. 

Well the good news is that in certain areas, we can only go up.  I for one don't know enough about him to think this is a bad hire and plan to support our new administration as we find our way out of the wilderness.  Sounds like he is a very straightforward guy and will no doubt address the BH issue, hopefully sooner than later.

It’s time for his short list of coaches to be leaked out... I’m betting that the short list was agreed upon before the hire.. 

Just the anticipation of things getting better is pretty exciting.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

It’s time for his short list of coaches to be leaked out... I’m betting that the short list was agreed upon before the hire.. 

Just the anticipation of things getting better is pretty exciting.

Since Cohen was the Mississippi State baseball coach and then their AD, wonder if Dan Mullen is his guy? I hope not. Mullen is looking for a HC job too. 

Just now, TeamZero77 said:

Since Cohen was the Mississippi State baseball coach and then their AD, wonder if Dan Mullen is his guy? I hope not. Mullen is looking for a HC job too. 

I’m with you. Of all the names people are throwing out there, Mullen is the worst

On 10/30/2022 at 10:19 PM, TitanTiger said:

I'm not talking about making every single Auburn fan happy.  I'm talking about making the Important People at Auburn happy.  He had options in front of him that those folks were all good with, whichever way he went.  He decided to go rogue and has gotten significant pushback.  It's the same stupid mistake Greene made with Harsin.  And it seems Roberts likes repeating the past and expecting different results.

I’ve been out of pocket for days and out of it….. pain med’s, hospital stay, yuck.

Just catching up on news and I see this.  Do you still believe Roberts went rogue and pissed about Cohen?

Edited by keesler

34 minutes ago, keesler said:

I’ve been out of pocket for days and out of it….. pain med’s, hospital stay, yuck.

Just catching up on news and I see this.  Do you still so adamant that Roberts went rogue and pissed about Cohen?

I’m in wait and see mode with Cohen. I don’t think Roberts did a great job in how he kinda sprung this everyone without keeping them in the loop and it took some smoothing over behind the scenes. It looks like he managed to repair the damage before it really blew up and that’s a good thing.

Auburn cannot afford to not all be pulling in the same direction any longer. 

• Thanks 1