John Cohen - New Auburn Athletics Director

Zeek

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The con is rumored that the big money people don’t like him and the fans want him gone ? Even though they gave him an extension last summer Bad hire in the previous coach prior to Leach. 

the pros: his coaches had a successful run at Mississippi state . He has proven to go out of the box to get coaches (see leach), he has over shadowed infrastructure growth there. He supposedly fancies Matt Rhule and rumored to also like DS. Take if for what it is worth . 

Agree in that for those that want Deion...it's a good hire because with hiring Leach he's willing to think outside of the box. Not saying we may get the same type of Auburn hire for a head coach but that does give me hope. Morehead didn't workout but I don't recall it being a big backlash with Miss. St fans when he was announced. Miss ST. football is relevant so that's a positive. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

He needs to be gone ASAP. I don’t care if Cohen has his own interim coach he wants. I want him gone like now.

Personally i want Harsin to hold EVERY L this team takes. I don't think they want either coordinator as interim. For morale and a spark the likely interim would be Zach or Caddy but they're so young in their careers that they don't need that stain on their resume. Again, i agree that i wish Harsin was gone yesterday but every L needs to be on his record!

Edited by WarEagle1983

Good luck. I hope it works out here and you turn all the sports teams into winning machines. 

Nobody knows what they’re talking about when it comes to AD hires because we didn’t know any of these guys until a few days/weeks ago. So nobody knows if this a good/bad hire

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Good luck. I hope it works out here and you turn all the sports teams into winning machines. 

Nobody knows what they’re talking about when it comes to AD hires because we didn’t know any of these guys until a few days/weeks ago. So nobody knows if this a good/bad hire

Well our Women's BB coach isn't a friend.  He didn't hire her to be their coach and took our job so the story goes.  I believe our Baseball coach knows him.  So I wonder what the skinny is there...but he is getting 1.5 mil a year? Wow...

• Like 1

was he the AD when mullin got caught cheating and blamed us? if so maybe he had to support his coach but if it is true i would never hire him. maybe he will be a great AD but he has to show me something.

I'll say this. Cohen had the wherewithal to move on from Joe Moorehead two years in and his record was better than Harsin's. Moorehead also beat an Auburn team in 2018 that should have been contending for a championship that year. Yet Cohen (and boosters presumably) recognized a culture misfit.

And the hiring of Leach was a huge move for a school of State's caliber. The Pirate generates great media exposure.

• Like 2

I will support him and hope that he is successful! We are on the boat and away from the dock, so let's hope he guides us to where we want to go! I've been an Auburn fan since I was old enough to choose and I will always choose to support my school! War Damn Eagle!

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Well Harsin has been fired so Cohen is off to a great start in my book! Glad its official and we can start the process of building the football program back up!

• Like 1

I still don't understand why he left baseball to be an AD.  The money isn't that different and MSU always has a pretty good team.

1 minute ago, Auburn93 said:

Oh, no.  McGlynn? 

Why not McGlynn? Dude had successfully navigated us out of through more problems with the NCAA than anyone alive.  

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

There were four candidates seriously mentioned and vetted. Cohen, Hartwell, Nunez, and McGlynn. Each has their pros/cons and different supporters. This was a bit of a surprise to some as his name came up seemingly last second. However, Roberts had been tight lipped so it should have been somewhat expected. The upside is he has SEC experience and has done some good things for Mississippi State.

Time will tell how the boosters and other players react.

He coached baseball at Mississippi State as well didn't he? They seem pretty good in athletics lately but from the Mississippi State fans that I've read, they're happy he is gone but also calling him a traitor so who knows? 

54 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I still don't understand why he left baseball to be an AD.  The money isn't that different and MSU always has a pretty good team.

They usually get “off the field” when they see a good opening as they get older.

13 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Why not McGlynn? Dude had successfully navigated us out of through more problems with the NCAA than anyone alive.  

And into a lot of internal issues as well.