Mens Basketball schedule

gravejd

Looking at the schedule and the uncertainty around the timing and health of Westry, my preseason prediction is  21-9 overall and 12-6 in the league (not counting unscheduled tourney games). I do however think this team will build as the year goes on, barring injury, and be better built for tourney play. 

On 11/3/2022 at 10:05 AM, SumterAubie said:

Those last 3.  

Face with Peeking Eye

Yeah, at Lexington and at Tuscaloosa back to back?!?!  WTH??

On 11/3/2022 at 9:00 PM, Sani-Freeze said:

Y'all come on and join me in Athens Jan. 4. Tickets are $20 - https://georgiadogs.com/sports/2019/12/20/georgia-bulldogs-tickets

Okay but, you've got to run a shuttle bus from Atlanta (with food and beverages).

• Like 1

Some interesting recent results by a few of our next opponents with Colgate beating Syracuse and St. Louis beating Memphis. Currently we have a quad 3 win and two quad 4s. Coming up:

TX So - q4

Bradley -q2

St. Louis - q2 (maybe a q1 by time we play them)

Colgate - q3

So the schedule gets a bit tougher before we get a few quad 1 games with Memphis, USC and potentially Washington. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2022 at 9:33 AM, gravejd said:

Link to this years schedule. Maybe a Mod can pin this for easy reference:

https://auburntigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2022-23

I'll try a screen shot as well:
image.thumb.png.ab80e0075cd378150b9befcdea545998.png

image.png.6ca8858dcb2b0dee4c2b5259a6f560c5.png

Thanks !!!  Greatly appreciate your input. 

Hard to get excited about the game tonight. TxSo is not a good team no matter how you try to view it. Just lost by nearly 40 to Houston and are 1-4 coming in. I guess I'll be watching to see how we handle an inferior opponent and what our shooting looks like. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our current strength of schedule is around 75th depending on who's metrics you look at. It will get better in the next few weeks, but I think it is weaker than anticipated and will not help us much come seeding time. 

• Like 1

Just now, JwgreDeux said:

Our current strength of schedule is around 75th depending on who's metrics you look at. It will get better in the next few weeks, but I think it is weaker than anticipated and will not help us much come seeding time. 

for example, we are currently ranked in the top 15 so you would be normally looking at a 4 seed maybe, but most projections have us as a 6-7 seed right now. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Mens Basketball schedule

first quad 1 game coming up vs Memphis.  Looking forward to this one and seeing how we play.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

first quad 1 game coming up vs Memphis.  Looking forward to this one and seeing how we play.  

Could be a rock fight with 2 really good defensive teams. Excited to see if we can raise our level of play to match a relented Memphis team. Also fun fact is that Memphis has bama next after playing us so great measuring stick

• 4 weeks later...

We are essentially at the half-way point of the regular season. Our record of 12-3 is right about where it was expected to be. The Georgia loss being the only game we had no business losing. Overall the team is a little behind where I thought we would be. That is mostly due to the play/status of Westry. I still am holding out some hope that he gets reinserted to the lineup as a 2 and provides some needed scoring from that spot. Traore is more raw than what I projected based on the Israel games, but not surprising Williams is holding on to that spot. Donaldson is ahead of where I thought he would be so that is nice to see. Everyone else was a pretty known commodity and we are still trying to figure it out. I think the rotations we have seen are what they are, and CBP will stick with it until/unless Westry can get in the mix. 

We can win any game on our schedule when we play elite defense. We can lose any game on it when we don't. I don't expect any player to change who they are, but do hope CBP can continue working on each guy so we get the best they have more often than the bad versions. Overall at this point, I am pleased and don't expect things to just collapse. Stay patient as we will lose some more games, but hopefully we can find a way to work out some kinks and build towards a postseason run, as I do not expect us to keep pace for a regular season title. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward at the schedule and the conference race, we are in a tough spot. Currently we are fourth in the league at 3-1, with UT, Bama and A&M all undefeated. Of those 4 teams, we have the toughest schedule the rest of the way, as we play all three of those teams twice, plus at UK.  THat would project us to likely 3-4 or more league losses if we split those game and drop one more somewhere along the way for a league record of 13-6 or so. A&M plays us twice but only once against each Bama and UT plus at UK. If they split those games and drop one other, they will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-4. UT plays us twice, and bama and A&M once plus at UK. IF they split and lose one other, they also will be around 15-4. Bama has us twice and UT and A&M once each plus UK at home (they already won that game), so they have the easiest way to the end, likely 16-3 or so. 

Arky and MIzzou are the wild cards that may be able to disrupt some folks. Bama and us already have wins over them but we will See. Does UK get it together? Can UGA keep winning games? A lot of games left, but we have a tough road to the end. I never expected us to challenge for the regular season league title, but thought I'd take a look at what we have left. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, of note, we are currently pretty much a lock for the ncaa tourney at this point.

18 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Looking forward at the schedule and the conference race, we are in a tough spot. Currently we are fourth in the league at 3-1, with UT, Bama and A&M all undefeated. Of those 4 teams, we have the toughest schedule the rest of the way, as we play all three of those teams twice, plus at UK.  THat would project us to likely 3-4 or more league losses if we split those game and drop one more somewhere along the way for a league record of 13-6 or so. A&M plays us twice but only once against each Bama and UT plus at UK. If they split those games and drop one other, they will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-4. UT plays us twice, and bama and A&M once plus at UK. IF they split and lose one other, they also will be around 15-4. Bama has us twice and UT and A&M once each plus UK at home (they already won that game), so they have the easiest way to the end, likely 16-3 or so. 

Arky and MIzzou are the wild cards that may be able to disrupt some folks. Bama and us already have wins over them but we will See. Does UK get it together? Can UGA keep winning games? A lot of games left, but we have a tough road to the end. I never expected us to challenge for the regular season league title, but thought I'd take a look at what we have left. 

I am feeling a little better about Flan after last 3 games. He seems to have found his niche playing D, rebounding, taking good shots not over-driving and getting in trouble. Like you I would love to see Westry come on taking minutes away from both KD and Zep. Green also seems to be playing better lately cutting down turnovers, scoring and actually running the offense instead of just dribbling. Green keeps this up and Flan remains solid and we should have a good team. Broome has become the player I hoped and Williams is solid. I hope CMoore is not to banged up and he and Flan at the 3 gives us two solid players at a position I thought might be our second weakest position after SG. 

I have no false elusions about this team wining SEC championship but we should be good enough to get to the big Dance and if Westry can become an integral part of the team by end of season and we can get some solid minutes from Traore we might win a couple of games in the big dance. We need 15 minutes or more a game out of Westry to slow down big guards and he also needs to score 6-8 a game efficiently along with 3-5 boards a game for us to go anywhere in the big dance.

8 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Also, of note, we are currently pretty much a lock for the ncaa tourney at this point.

Hell, after our schedule, the NCAA is going to be a breather!

• Haha 1

Current teams we have played that are projected tourney teams: 

Wins: Northwestern, Colgate, Arkansas 

(Bradley and St. Louis are projected as potential auto-qualifiers even though they are not currently leading their conferences)

(Mississippi State is on the bubble right now)

Losses: Memphis

(USC on the bubble right now)

So we are somewhere between 3-1 and 6-2 vs current tourney teams. UGA is currently top 100 in the net putting our road loss to them as a quad 2 loss which is not a bad loss currently. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After our last stretch of games, even with the losses, we are UP to 18 in Kenpom. In many of those close losses we exceeded the anticipated metrics so we have been holding in the metrics. We moved up 10 spots after the win over Mizzou. 

• Like 1