Zeek's Case for Lane Kiffin

Zeek

52 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

So who can do that PLUS everything else coaching at Auburn entails?  They all have pluses and minuses.

The Stache with panache!

But of the others, I like Lane best for our current situation 

• Like 2

Just now, aubiefifty said:

in case yall need something else to worry about bill o'brian has surfaced as a potential candidate. i know some bama fans are not happy with him. so does he get a serious look and how would he rate with you guys?

I don’t know many Auburn fans that would be happy with him either. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Just curious.  Why is he so low in recruiting rankings this yr. Barely above us?

He's not:

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 11.39.34 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 11.39.51 AM.png

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

And that's before they add more to the class.  Kiffin likes to keep some slots open for transfers, but once they get up to about 18-19 guys like most of the people ahead of them have, they'll be Top 15.

• Like 2

Since we are giving opinions…here is mine.  
I think with LK and HF you are basically getting the same coach.   HF seems to have a more likable personality and LK seems more ruthless on the field, but that might be totally wrong, because I don’t know either of them personally.   
With Deion, you are getting instant excitement about the football team.   I believe Deion would scare the crap out of Saban and Smart on the recruiting side and LK and HF scares the crap out them on the strategy side.   It’s going to be interesting to see who becomes coach.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Newbomb said:

I have spoken to several different Alabama fans and they believe Kiffin is coach in waiting for Saban to retire in a couple of years.

Interesting. Greg McElroy says no chance for Lane at Bama. Saban will have direct input on his predecessor and Lane ain’t happening 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

The more I think about this hire and the potential candidates mentioned, it becomes clear to me that the best choice for Auburn and our immediate future is Lane Kiffin. Does he have his flaws and baggage? For sure and most coaches do; it's a matter of how well they perform on the field and if those issues impede their success. Kiffin has a lot of support and is believed to be the number one option by many of the BOT and Cohen as well. It's a simple matter of cost and doing our due diligence to evaluate other candidates thoroughly.

Let's take a look at Lane Kiffin's football career:

• 1994-96 Quarterback at Fresno State
  • 1997-98 Assistant at Fresno State
  • 1999 GA at Colorado State
  • 2000 DQC at Jacksonville Jaguars
  • 2001 TE Coach at USC
  • 2002-03 WR Coach at USC
  • 2004 Passing Game Coordinator & WR Coach at USC
  • 2005-06 OC/WR Coach at USC
  • 2007-08 HC of the Oakland Raiders
  • 2009 HC at Tennessee (7-6)
  • 2010-13 HC at USC (28-15)
  • 2014-16 OC/QB Coach at Alabama
  • 2017-2019 HC at Florida Atlantic (27-13)
  • 2020-present HC at Ole Miss (23-9)

We see a journey of a coaching career for sure but Auburn has never had a coach leave for a better job. It just doesn't happen and I don't believe Lane would leave Auburn for any other position. The money will be too good and the resources are just as good as anywhere else when we're winning. What Lane has managed at bout FAU and OM is impressive for two schools that were really struggling before he took them over.

Regarding recruiting, which might be the most important factor, Kiffin has been around the game long enough to know the process and he has seen it done at the highest levels first hand in the early 2000s at USC and later at Alabama. His work in the portal has made Ole Miss a bubble playoff team and a threat to win the division all while having a mediocre quarterback in Jaxon Dart. What's better? He has proven this year he can have a run-first offense even with two starting freshmen at both tackle spots. Speaking of running, Quinshon Judkins is someone that Harsin believed we didn't have room for... as a true freshman Judkins currently has 1k+ yards and 13 rushing touchdowns. He is a player I suspect might follow Kiffin were Auburn to land him; it would also be my hope that those young Offensive Tackles would follow as well.

Those that have read my thread about the current state of the roster know just how important this recruiting class and portal cycle will be for the future of the program. We undersigned last year and with the new portal rules we could legitimately add almost 40 new players to the roster before next season. Auburn could look like a totally new program in just one offseason.

It is my firm belief that the next hire has to be a name that every recruit in the southeast knows without having to look them up on Google. We can't hire another Idaho somebody that looks promising but no one actually knows. Instead lets pony up the cash and take the man who has historic cellar dweller Ole Miss (8-1) in the SEC West, drives Saban absolutely nuts, and has proven he can run an effective offense literally everywhere he has been. Pair him with a DC like Muschamp (if at all possible) or T-Will (who has been crushing it at UCF) and let's fly.

Lane Kiffin could be for Auburn what Lincoln Riley is for USC.

I agree with everything you said and I think Lane is an excellent choice should we not be able to land Deion :)

• Like 3

what is kiffs buyout? fourteen million is what i heard unofficially. will this matter? with the millions given to gus and to harsin would we realistic pile fourteen mil more in the IOU department? i have no idea is why i am asking.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Lane turns us around the fastest, IMO.

I don't know.   They all would turn us around pretty quickly now that we put the shovel down and have quit digging.

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Whether it's the portal, NIL, whatever ... we need a coach who can go toe-to-toe with Bama and UGA.  Those guys have recruiting machines running.  Although, I have heard there's 'donor fatigue' at Bama.  Anyways ... we don't have to win every battle but we have to get our share, capture the legacies, etc. ... not get our clock cleaned like what's happening today.  We're not even a factor.

So who can do that PLUS everything else coaching at Auburn entails?  They all have pluses and minuses.

What is donor fatigue in this instance?  

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He's not:

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 11.39.34 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 11.39.51 AM.png

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

And that's before they add more to the class.  Kiffin likes to keep some slots open for transfers, but once they get up to about 18-19 guys like most of the people ahead of them have, they'll be Top 15.

Ok. Thought I read on here that he only had 6 or 7 commits this cycle. Will teach me to research more on what I read on here

Here’s my argument against Kiffin. The coaches that have succeeded in any way at Auburn have been about Auburn. They’ve embraced Auburn and the culture, and have gone above and beyond to connect with fans and alumni. I’d argue that was one of many things Harsin did poorly. He was too egotistical and made enemies within the boosters and athletic departments quickly. Lane Kiffin is about Lane Kiffin. He has a massive ego that needs constant stroking, and uses Twitter to get it when the media isn’t giving it to him. He’s not an Auburn lifer type coach. He’ll stick around for 2-3 years until another offer comes his way that makes him feel more like a god. In fact, I’d see him getting us good again just as Saban retires, then he darts from here to Bama. 

I don’t know if it’s desperation to be on the level of our rivals or what, but I’ve never understood the Lane Kiffin obsession. He’s not a fit at Auburn. Just like everyone kept wanting to hire Petrino for years even though he didn’t fit here, there’s an odd obsession with Kiffin, and I just don’t get it, especially since his defenses have generally been really bad.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

in case yall need something else to worry about bill o'brian has surfaced as a potential candidate. i know some bama fans are not happy with him. so does he get a serious look and how would he rate with you guys?

Who has actually reported this? I only see bammers putting this out on social media hoping to get rid of the guy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Who has actually reported this? I only see bammers putting this out on social media hoping to get rid of the guy.

Same. I saw a photoshopped image of him in sideline AU gear getting passed around yesterday that was shot down quickly. 

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Whether it's the portal, NIL, whatever ... we need a coach who can go toe-to-toe with Bama and UGA. 

Not necessarily. There are other ways to get good talent besides butting heads with them a lot on the trail. Deion, Lane, & Freeze can improve our talent level without have to go head to head with our Rivals a lot early.

Think about the years with the best talent we've had. Yes there were some battles withour rivals but more times than not we didn't beat Bama & UGa for said talent.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

i posted the article and it is in the auburn articles. todays versions.................

28 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Here’s my argument against Kiffin. The coaches that have succeeded in any way at Auburn have been about Auburn. They’ve embraced Auburn and the culture, and have gone above and beyond to connect with fans and alumni. I’d argue that was one of many things Harsin did poorly. He was too egotistical and made enemies within the boosters and athletic departments quickly. Lane Kiffin is about Lane Kiffin. He has a massive ego that needs constant stroking, and uses Twitter to get it when the media isn’t giving it to him. He’s not an Auburn lifer type coach. He’ll stick around for 2-3 years until another offer comes his way that makes him feel more like a god. In fact, I’d see him getting us good again just as Saban retires, then he darts from here to Bama. 

I don’t know if it’s desperation to be on the level of our rivals or what, but I’ve never understood the Lane Kiffin obsession. He’s not a fit at Auburn. Just like everyone kept wanting to hire Petrino for years even though he didn’t fit here, there’s an odd obsession with Kiffin, and I just don’t get it, especially since his defenses have generally been really bad.

Very good assessment. I don't like Kiffen for that exact reason. He's also immature in a way that's inappropriate for a man who's almost 50 years old. I really hope he doesn't get the Auburn job.

It's disconcerting to see the people seemingly haven't learned their lesson on coaches and their personalities.......

• Like 1

My other question is are you wanting to pay him somewhere around $10 million on top of his buyout for a guy who has never won anything in the SEC. I mean, I would get it if he had multiple championships or playoff runs, like Kelly and LSU or even Jimbo and A and M, but for a guy who doesn’t have that, are you really going to spend that much money for “possibility” and then no telling what kind of buyout we will have include in the contract and guaranteed money. I’m sorry, I just don’t see him worth that much money. Everyone knows it will take an astronomical amount of money to get him here and I just don’t know how you can say he’s worth it. Again, I like Kiffin but I don’t think he’s worth that much…

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Has Lane surpassed Danny Hugh for u?

Yes only because he has way less off field things. I think Hugh is a better coach though .