Zeek's Case for Lane Kiffin

Zeek

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes only because he has way less off field things. I think Hugh is a better coach though .

Pains me to hear you say that...LOL.. I'm sticking with Deion, Danny Hugh,  Kiffin.. In that order . I still also predict it will be Danny Hugh's job. I wish it could be Caddy. But it won't 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The lions roar said:

No one believes this who is being honest. There are risks with all the coaches mentioned here including Deion. People just trying to convince us their coach is better. Personally I think Kiffin has the least risk, but would be happy with any of the 4 candidates mentioned.

People are not being honest to claim Deion is the best option. He is a boom or bust candidate. If he’s the guy, I hope it’s boom. 

• Like 1

Fun fact for the Freeze contingent that ringers him moot for the position: Guess who the AD was at Mississippi State that was involved in uncovering the Ole Miss scandal?? I’ll give you a hint, we just hired him…

43 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Very good assessment. I don't like Kiffen for that exact reason. He's also immature in a way that's inappropriate for a man who's almost 50 years old. I really hope he doesn't get the Auburn job.

It's disconcerting to see the people seemingly haven't learned their lesson on coaches and their personalities.......

I think folks want him because he’d be a splash hire and because he’s used the portal pretty successfully. But I don’t think he gets us over the hump to elite, and I don’t think he’d stick around. The dart from UT to USC after 1 year shows that he’s after the elite of elite jobs. A job like Auburn, that’s in that next group down (a great but not elite program) he’d see as just another stepping stone to the top.

And I agree with you. He acts like a teenager. I hate the idea of a Twitter troll being the face of our program. 

18 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

People are not being honest to claim Deion is the best option. He is a boom or bust candidate. If he’s the guy, I hope it’s boom. 

I agree on Deion. It’s hard to tell how he’d do in the power 5. What I like about Deion is that he seems to legitimately enjoy coaching and mentoring. He’d actually fit rather well with the Auburn culture because of that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Couple of points on Kiffen:

1. As USC OC, he got them into the NC game, lost to Mac Brown's/Vince Young's Texas team on a last play TD. He has a history of good to great O, no disputing that. 

2. He reminds me a LOT of Jackie Sherrill at MSU. For those of you not old enough to remember, Sherrill succeeded by scarfing up JUCO players and other program's retreads back when transferring was just something you didn't do unless something really bad happened - 0.0 GPAs, assaults, etc. Sherrill was also noted for his snark toward other coaches. 

Back then, JUCO/transfer wasn't sustainable and the ruins of the MSU program proved it, but for now it appears to be a workable solution. FOR NOW. What happens in a year or two when the NCAA decides the chaos is too much and then places restrictions on the portal? Will Kiffen be able to recruit? Will the talent management team Harsin put in place compensate for Kiffen's lack of passion for recruiting? Lot of unanswered with him, but there is with all the others too. 

Do you know if he can turn a bull into a steer?  Wasn't that a specialty of Jackie?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

They weren't overloaded with said talent in 2010.  Kiffin took the job and shortly after, USC got hammered with a 2-year postseason ban and a loss of 30 scholarships over the next three years among other things.  As a result they had kids transfer out including their starting DE and lost the #1 recruit in the country that year, OT Seantrel Henderson.  In the wake of that, USC went 8-5 after a 9-4 year in Carroll's last season there.

From there, every year crippled USC a little more being down 10 schollies per year.  His records:
2011: 10-2 (won P12 South)
2012: 7-6
2013: 3-2 (fired)

Whatever reasons you want to ascribe for what happened a decade or more ago at USC, "being set up for success" isn't one of the problems.  They were kneecapped right out the gate by the NCAA and it started showing its effects quickly as existing players graduated or got drafted. 

There are reasons to favor other coaches over Kiffin or to ding Kiffin (every coach on this list has plusses and minuses) but this ain't one of them.

You mean to say in your opinion this isn't one of them. His team had Barkley, woods, Marquis lee, kahlil, oh lawd Holmes, Turek, Wheeler grimble, and I'm sure I'm leaving people off and I'm sure there are other guys besides them that didn't play in the NFL but were great college players. And that's just offense.

Defense he had robey-Coleman, TJ McDonald, Wright, woods,breslin, dion Bailey, Devon Kennard, Josh Shaw, uko, wes Horton. Jawanza Sterling.

This is one team one year. These guys played ball in the NFL. There wasn't a team anywhere close to them in talent. So boo hoo he lost a player. He had 3 4 stars guys behind him at tackle. If you want to make light of that I can't stop you. But no the stupid stuff that's been brought up about the other guys this is certainly something to look at to me.

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You mean to say in your opinion this isn't one of them. His team had Barkley, woods, Marquis lee, kahlil, oh lawd Holmes, Turek, Wheeler grimble, and I'm sure I'm leaving people off and I'm sure there are other guys besides them that didn't play in the NFL but were great college players. And that's just offense.

Defense he had robey-Coleman, TJ McDonald, Wright, woods,breslin, dion Bailey, Devon Kennard, Josh Shaw, uko, wes Horton. Jawanza Sterling.

This is one team one year. These guys played ball in the NFL. There wasn't a team anywhere close to them in talent. So boo hoo he lost a player. He had 3 4 stars guys behind him at tackle. If you want to make light of that I can't stop you. But no the stupid stuff that's been brought up about the other guys this is certainly something to look at to me.

First, those are just a couple I mentioned, not the only ones they lost.

All those guys went 9-4 Carroll's last year and 8-5 Kiffin's first year.  What was left went 10-2 the next year and would have played for the Pac 12 title except for probation.  But as soon as those left, the sanctions made it all but impossible to restock the roster and the record reflected it.

You're overstating the case on this point.  You simply cannot say "set up for success" when the minute you become head coach you get slapped with a two year postseason ban and the loss of 10 scholarships a year for 3 years.  Maybe you can squeeze a little success out (which he did going 10-2 his second year) before the sanctions gut you, but that's about it.

15 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I think folks want him because he’d be a splash hire and because he’s used the portal pretty successfully. But I don’t think he gets us over the hump to elite, and I don’t think he’d stick around. The dart from UT to USC after 1 year shows that he’s after the elite of elite jobs. A job like Auburn, that’s in that next group down (a great but not elite program) he’d see as just another stepping stone to the top.

And I agree with you. He acts like a teenager. I hate the idea of a Twitter troll being the face of our program. 

I don't get the concern about Lane's Twitter. He jokes around on there. It's not that serious. 

Meanwhile, Bruce Pearl's tweets are far more controversial (and far worse, but that's personal opinion) and no one cares because he wins. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I get the UT to USC thing, but at the same time, Kiffin isn't the same guy he was 10-12 years ago either.  Like him or not, Saban did that guy a lot of good bringing him in as OC and while he's still cocky and brash, he's more mature than he was then and understands how far to take it in a way he didn't before.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Fun fact for the Freeze contingent that ringers him moot for the position: Guess who the AD was at Mississippi State that was involved in uncovering the Ole Miss scandal?? I’ll give you a hint, we just hired him…

Don’t think that was the case but could be wrong.    I remember that the NCAA allegations were going on and Ole Miss tried to lay the blame on Houston Nutt.   Nutt’s attorneys did a request of all records including phone records.   That’s when it became public that HF was calling a female service 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Don’t think that was the case but could be wrong.    I remember that the NCAA allegations were going on and Ole Miss tried to lay the blame on Houston Nutt.   Nutt’s attorneys did a request of all records including phone records.   That’s when it became public that HF was calling a female service 

Heard that Mississippi State was the leader in pushing allegations about their suspect recruiting…

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

First, those are just a couple I mentioned, not the only ones they lost.

All those guys went 9-4 Carroll's last year and 8-5 Kiffin's first year.  What was left went 10-2 the next year and would have played for the Pac 12 title except for probation.  But as soon as those left, the sanctions made it all but impossible to restock the roster and the record reflected it.

You're overstating the case on this point.  You simply cannot say "set up for success" when the minute you become head coach you get slapped with a two year postseason ban and the loss of 10 scholarships a year for 3 years.  Maybe you can squeeze a little success out (which he did going 10-2 his second year) before the sanctions gut you, but that's about it.

I used the second year team as the example because that 10-2 team had even more talent than the one I used. I don't feel I'm over stating at all. I feel like I'm looking at more than you are. You are focused on the sanctions. Which certainly can bring a team down, I'm looking at they were so far ahead of everybody it would have taken 3 years just for them to fall to a level of teams like Arizona and Washington State. 

Facts are no matter what though he marched a team out on the field that was more talented than every team he played or at the least a majority and he had a subpar record against them. He had first round talent all over his team 2 of the 3 years. 

13 minutes ago, cbo said:

I don't get the concern about Lane's Twitter. He jokes around on there. It's not that serious. 

Meanwhile, Bruce Pearl's tweets are far more controversial (and far worse, but that's personal opinion) and no one cares because he wins. 

Bruce Pearl's players don't seem to care either. And before today, I never knew he was so controversial. I want to see a good product on the field/court.. I'm not into judging every little thing on a person.. and if we all want to do that, then we would probably not like any of the players on the teams either. I'd guarantee they all say some very controversial stuff (depending on the person listening). And I'd guarantee all of us say controversial stuff. When did the world start expecting everybody to be perfect angels? The same ones complaining about what somebody says on twitter are probably listening to some foul mouth music as well. Who cares. 

💗

15 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Dude, you can't talk to that cat about anything positive related to Danny Hugh. He will even make up stuff as u correctly pointed out. It was Nutts lawyers that got the ball rolling at Ole Miss.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan Sanders said:

Bruce Pearl's players don't seem to care either. And before today, I never knew he was so controversial. I want to see a good product on the field/court.. I'm not into judging every little thing on a person.. and if we all want to do that, then we would probably not like any of the players on the teams either. I'd guarantee they all say some very controversial stuff (depending on the person listening). And I'd guarantee all of us say controversial stuff. When did the world start expecting everybody to be perfect angels? The same ones complaining about what somebody says on twitter are probably listening to some foul mouth music as well. Who cares. 

💗

I can't tell if you are arguing or agreeing with me. 

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I used the second year team as the example because that 10-2 team had even more talent than the one I used. I don't feel I'm over stating at all. I feel like I'm looking at more than you are. You are focused on the sanctions. Which certainly can bring a team down, I'm looking at they were so far ahead of everybody it would have taken 3 years just for them to fall to a level of teams like Arizona and Washington State. 

Facts are no matter what though he marched a team out on the field that was more talented than every team he played or at the least a majority and he had a subpar record against them. He had first round talent all over his team 2 of the 3 years. 

Before Kiffin coached one down in 2010, USC lost 7 players to the NFL Draft from the previous season.  Plus whoever else graduated, or left early and signed free agent deals.

In the 2011 draft, USC had 10 players drafted (again, besides graduations and UDFA signings).  That's 17 NFL quality guys gone and he's only coached one season.  He took what was left to a 10-2 mark that year.

By the time they play football for the 2012 season, USC has had two recruiting classes that are 10 players less than everyone else, not to mention that many of the top players aren't going to go there anyway when they know USC is going to be down for a while due to these sanctions.  He's lost all those players but can't replace them with comparable talent.

I'm sorry but you aren't looking at more.  You're cherry picking...for what reason I have no idea.  There are valid questions to ask about Kiffin being the best choice for Auburn.  Like I said, every coach on the list has pros and cons to mull over.  This just ain't one of them.

8 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Kiffin just endorsed Deion. Said AU should hire him.... 

And if you read what he said carefully, he avoided the question of whether he (ie, Kiffen's agent) was in talks with AU.

1 hour ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Good grief, did Freeze beat you up and take your lunch money as a child? We get it, you dont like him. 

• Dislike 1

23 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Before Kiffin coached one down in 2010, USC lost 7 players to the NFL Draft from the previous season.  Plus whoever else graduated, or left early and signed free agent deals.

In the 2011 draft, USC had 10 players drafted (again, besides graduations and UDFA signings).  That's 17 NFL quality guys gone and he's only coached one season.  He took what was left to a 10-2 mark that year.

By the time they play football for the 2012 season, USC has had two recruiting classes that are 10 players less than everyone else, not to mention that many of the top players aren't going to go there anyway when they know USC is going to be down for a while due to these sanctions.  He's lost all those players but can't replace them with comparable talent.

I'm sorry but you aren't looking at more.  You're cherry picking...for what reason I have no idea.  There are valid questions to ask about Kiffin being the best choice for Auburn.  Like I said, every coach on the list has pros and cons to mull over.  This just ain't one of them.

Right and I showed the players he took out on the field. It was still an all star team. I'm not cherry picking anything o literally looked at 3 teams he had when he coached and didn't even use his most talented team as my example. That's literally the complete opposite of cherry picking. I showed the roster that he had, not anybody he had and then lost but the team that he had and all of the talent that was available. If I really wanted to nail this down and show how silly this is I could show some of the rosters of the teams they went up against but I'm not.

But yeah like I said this is a question anybody should really ask. It's absolutely one of them. Just not one for you, for whatever reason.

But if people are going to use experience as a pro for some and a con for others yeah we should look at it all

3 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

I believe Kiffin is a great OC. His coaching leaves a lot to desire and his defenses have been bad to downright atrocious every where he has been a head coach. I mean, he made Auburn look like the Chiefs offense this year and needed an onside kick to beat us. His analytics would cost Auburn 2-3 losses a year guaranteed. He can do that at Ole Miss because there really isn’t any pressure on him like it would be here. They will not fire him if he wins 8-10 games a year. That can’t be said at Auburn. Also, his lack of recruiting is really a red flag. I also wonder how much passion he has to take over a program like Auburn and realize that if he hasn’t made the playoffs in 3 years he is done. I think Kiffin is in the perfect place honestly. Yes, I would like him as a head coach, could do a lot worse, but I also feel like his record this year has been inflated by the teams they have played. Even last year, we beat them and he doesn’t do too well in big games. He beats the Arkansas’ and Miss States of the league but not much after that. Again, would he want to jump in a situation where the stakes are higher? His personality just does not seem like a good fit…

^^This. Also, Ole Miss isn't scheduling a home and home with a ranked opponent in most years and playing UGA every year. He has some head scratching losses and in game decisions. The competition will level up at Auburn and I don't think Kiffin will all of a sudden become a better in game decision maker just because he's on the plains.