Zeek's Case for Lane Kiffin

Zeek

2 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

and your stance that he would fall in love so much with Auburn that he would never want to go back to a place where he helped win a NC, is naive, and devoid of facts, logic, HISTORY, or anything else to back it up. 

Also- the fact that Prime would outrecruit Joey and also be better with NIL, is more important than when/if Joey would leave us. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

and your stance that he would fall in love so much with Auburn that he would never want to go back to a place where he helped win a NC, is naive, and devoid of facts, logic, HISTORY, or anything else to back it up. 

It's not devoid of facts.  I decimated that argument by pointing out the error of believing Alabama has more money than Auburn to work with.

It's not devoid of history, because as I pointed out, Auburn (at least since the forward pass and leather helmets were in play) not lost a coach to another school, much less Alabama.  Plus, we went through this in 1982 when Pat Dye - the guy Bear himself wanted to succeed him at Alabama and who coached under Bear at Bama for 8 years, came to Auburn only to have Bear retire two seasons later.  There wasn't even a serious question about trying to get Dye to flip to Alabama and they were coming off the most dominant period in modern football history.

It's not devoid of logic.  Lane was an OC for less than three full seasons at Alabama and was let go right before the national title game because he was so eager to get working on the frickin' Florida Atlantic job.  You act like there's some reason to believe in a magnetic pull for Kiffin to Bama and it doesn't exist.

The reality is, if Kiffin is successful at Auburn, Auburn can and will match anything Alabama would pay him, he could absolutely win SEC and national titles at Auburn, and he'd have all the resources he'd need to sustain that success.  And on top of all that, he wouldn't have the burden of trying to follow a legend.  As the mantra goes, never follow the legend, follow the guy who followed the legend.  Whether it's Ray Perkins after Bear, Ron Zook after Spurrier, Muschamp after Meyer and many others, it almost never goes well for that next guy.

Stop buying into a loser mentality.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

"Oh ok" nothing.  You're fretting over smoke and vapor.  Lane's only ties to UAT are being an OC there for 3 years.  

Despite their recent successes, their athletic department isn't any more profitable than Auburn's.  In the most recent year there are figures (2019-2020), Alabama had a profit of $16.1 million for their athletic department and Auburn had profit of $17.9 million.  In fact, Auburn was the 5th most profitable athletic department in the NCAA.  Only Oregon, Texas, UGA and Florida made more after expenses.

They don't have a significantly larger alumni pool than Auburn and they don't have any appreciable advantage in terms of big money boosters and donors either.  Auburn would absolutely be able to match anything Alabama offered Lane if they wanted to.

If your mentality is not to take a head coach because he might leave you for someone "better" (even though there's literally zero history of that happening at Auburn), you're buying into a defeatist mentality and worrying about nothing.

The concern over Kiffin leaving Auburn for Alabama is not the highest. It’s just one of many, many concerns over Kiffin. 

The fact that he coached for a short period at Alabama has nothing to do with a concern over him leaving Auburn for Alabama.

It’s his long history of leaving a program after a short period. He has zero allegiance to any program. These facts are what make him such a concern over this topic alone IMO.

Sure, he detests Saban in that he wants to stick it to his former boss. That’s great. Have another bag of popcorn and make another snarky twitter post before kickoff, because that’s as close as Kiffin will get to beating him.

I don’t where he’s at…if offered the opportunity to replace Saban with ALL the recruiting + NIL + portal, broken glass he would crawl over.

IMO, none of the other realistic candidates would leave Auburn for Alabama just because the job opened up.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

The concern over Kiffin leaving Auburn for Alabama is not the highest. It’s just one of many, many concerns over Kiffin. 

The fact that he coached for a short period at Alabama has nothing to do with a concern over him leaving Auburn for Alabama.

It’s his long history of leaving a program after a short period. He has zero allegiance to any program. These facts are what make him such a concern IMO.

Sure, he detests Saban in that he wants to stick it to his former boss. That’s great. Have another bag of popcorn and make another snarky twitter post before kickoff, because that’s as close as Kiffin will get to beating him.

I don’t where he’s at…if offered the opportunity to replace Saban with ALL the recruiting + NIL + portal, broken glass he would crawl over.

From Ole Miss, yes.  Not from Auburn.

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

What history has he shown that he wouldn’t? 

Other than the fact that no Auburn head coach since the 1800s has left to go coach ANYWHERE else?  Other than the fact that Bear's preferred choice, Pat Dye, who coached under Bear for 8 years at Bama didn't wait for Bear to step down to get that job, nor consider jumping to Bama two years into his tenure at Auburn?  Other than the fact that following a legend at a school very rarely works out well for the next guy? Other than the fact that Bama wouldn't be able to pay him anymore than Auburn would?  Other than...?

What history there is much more behind my stance on this than yours.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Other than the fact that no Auburn head coach since the 1800s has left to go coach ANYWHERE else?  Other than the fact that Bear's preferred choice, Pat Dye, who coached under Bear for 8 years at Bama didn't wait for Bear to step down to get that job, nor consider jumping to Bama two years into his tenure at Auburn?  Other than the fact that following a legend at a school very rarely works out well for the next guy? Other than the fact that Bama wouldn't be able to pay him anymore than Auburn would?  Other than...?

Man, Titan going back to Little House on the Prairie days to prove his point LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Other than the fact that no Auburn head coach since the 1800s has left to go coach ANYWHERE else?  Other than the fact that Bear's preferred choice, Pat Dye, who coached under Bear for 8 years at Bama didn't wait for Bear to step down to get that job, nor consider jumping to Bama two years into his tenure at Auburn?  Other than the fact that Bama wouldn't be able to pay him anymore than Auburn would?  Other than...?

Pat Dye was a man of impeccable character. 

Lane Kiffin is a child void of character.

It’s funny, when Prime’s name started surfacing several weeks ago, some folks here said no way because he’s all about himself.

I can’t think of a more self-centered teenager in an adult’s body that has ever head coached in the SEC than Kiffin.

At least when Prime thumps his chest, he has a long history of stats, awards, trophies & rings to back it up. 

When Kiffin thumps his chest, it’s right after he hits the Enter key.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It's not devoid of facts.  I decimated that argument by pointing out the error of believing Alabama has more money than Auburn to work with.

It's not devoid of history, because as I pointed out, Auburn (at least since the forward pass and leather helmets were in play) not lost a coach to another school, much less Alabama.  Plus, we went through this in 1982 when Pat Dye - the guy Bear himself wanted to succeed him at Alabama and who coached under Bear at Bama for 8 years, came to Auburn only to have Bear retire two seasons later.  There wasn't even a serious question about trying to get Dye to flip to Alabama and they were coming off the most dominant period in modern football history.

It's not devoid of logic.  Lane was an OC for less than three full seasons at Alabama and was let go right before the national title game because he was so eager to get working on the frickin' Florida Atlantic job.  You act like there's some reason to believe in a magnetic pull for Kiffin to Bama and it doesn't exist.

The reality is, if Kiffin is successful at Auburn, Auburn can and will match anything Alabama would pay him, he could absolutely win SEC and national titles at Auburn, and he'd have all the resources he'd need to sustain that success.  And on top of all that, he wouldn't have the burden of trying to follow a legend.  As the mantra goes, never follow the legend, follow the guy who followed the legend.  Whether it's Ray Perkins after Bear, Ron Zook after Spurrier, Muschamp after Meyer and many others, it almost never goes well for that next guy.

Sorry, and succinctly: wrong. More important to get a coach who would best Joey F. via 1)recruiting, 2)NIL,  3)quality assistants (especilly on the defensive side- NFL HOF DB, you know)  and 4) 24/7 national media excitement, which would change the national perception of the program and make more of the best players want to come. 

Difference in competing, which Joey would do- vs. dominating, which is Prime's mantra in whatever he has always done. Your daddy's restored Mustang vs a brand new Lamborgini. Yacht Rock vs Hip Hop. Preppy button down Izods vs FearOfGod and some gold chain action....

Just now, The Freak said:

I doubt Tn has a long list of folks that left for a better program either.

True.  But it's happened.  In 1970, Doug Dickey left Tennessee for Florida.  

But concerning Lane, what lessons do you think he might have picked up from that?  A couple that come to mind for me:

1.  The grass is rarely greener.
2.  It's hard as hell to follow a legendary coach at a school.

If you're going into this search worried about losing a guy to someone else down the road, you don't have the stomach to be making suggestions.  It's a defeatist mentality.  Being worried that Lane might leave for Bama or Prime might leave for FSU or whoever is what lower tier programs do.  That's what the Ole Misses, MSU's and Kentucky's of the world do.  That is not Auburn.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If someone thinks that Bana can attract Kiffin in some way shape or form, they have to believe they can attract ANYONE we get that they want(is successful). It’s defeatist logic. It’s buying into what Bama spreads about being the lil brother. We must go (and fully support) get who we think is the best choice (taking fit into play due to Harsin not fitting well). I personally believe Kiffin would be fairly successful wherever he went with full support.

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

It’s funny, when Prime’s name started surfacing several weeks ago, some folks here said no way because he’s all about himself.

I can’t think of a more self-centered teenager in an adult’s body that has ever head coached in the SEC than Kiffin.

At least when Prime thumps his chest, he has a long history of stats, awards, trophies & rings to back it up. 

If anyone would be likely to leave after a few years here, I'd say you've got a much stronger argument for Prime to leave for Mama at FSU than some tenuous tie Kiffin might have to Bama.

I say you go for the coach you think can get the job done, and if turning around recruiting fast is a primary factor, that's Lane or Prime.  You hire one of them.  Leave worrying about that other s*** to losers and worrywarts.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

True.  But it's happened.  In 1970, Doug Dickey left Tennessee for Florida.  

But concerning Lane, what lessons do you think he might have picked up from that?  A couple that come to mind for me:

1.  The grass is rarely greener.
2.  It's hard as hell to follow a legendary coach at a school.

If you're going into this search worried about losing a guy to someone else down the road, you don't have the stomach to be making suggestions.  It's a defeatist mentality.  Being worried that Lane might leave for Bama or Prime might leave for FSU or whoever is what lower tier programs do.  That's what the Ole Misses, MSU's and Kentucky's of the world do.  That is not Auburn.

Kiffin himself supports this logic as he was a west coast guy and chose to go there soon after taking Tenn. role. He now says he probably should have stayed at Tenn. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

Sorry, and succinctly: wrong.

....he says with nary a jot of evidence to back it up.

3 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

More important to get a coach who would best Joey F. via 1)recruiting, 2)NIL,  3)quality assistants (especilly on the defensive side- NFL HOF DB, you know)  and 4) 24/7 national media excitement, which would change the national perception of the program and make more of the best players want to come. 

Again, if that's the argument you want to make to favor Prime over Lane, that's fine.  I won't argue that.  But the bull**** you've been carping about up to this point is laughable.

37 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

from what i have read and it was last year that dabo has a bama clause in case they want him when saban retires. i would be super shocked if dabo is not the guy to replace saban. and you are right about kiff and bama. people forget they left him at least once at a stadium tho i do not remember why. people can change their minds of course but i agree kiff is not going to bama.

Can’t worry about what a coach may or may not do about other jobs. Auburn is a destination job. If Kiffin were to be successful and get us into the playoffs and possibly win championships, he’s not going anywhere. Also, no one wants to follow Saban. Imagine the first year if they don’t win 10 games. I honestly believe they will hire a coordinator of from their own staff or a position coach because the pressure would be too much to follow him. Anyways, back to Kiffin, can’t worry about what he will do if you believe he’s the guy…

Edited by Auburnguy101
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

No, they don't.  I've said this a couple of times now, but the fact is, Auburn's athletic department is more profitable than Alabama's.  In the most recent year we have figures, Auburn made a profit of $17.9 million on athletics to Alabama's $16.1 million - and that is with Alabama at the peak of its history and Auburn in a lull.  They don't have any advantage to speak of in terms of overall alumni base, nor number of big money alums and boosters either.  

I'm so happy to see those numbers. 

It's encouraging to know that Auburn's finances eclipse those of one of the nation's top programs and are considerably better than theirs, when considering how both of the major revenue generating athletic programs have performed over the last decade.  Like putting a consistently elite championship contending football team on the field doesn't matter one fig to the bottom line.  UAT's been wasting their $$ on that old goat over there, paying him $10mm/yr salary and blowing up the bank on facility expansion and upgrades.  WE the rich ones! 🤑

"He has proven this year he can have a run-first offense even with two starting freshmen at both tackle spots."

That speaks to recruiting and also development to me.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Lotta truth here. Lane is petty at times. In an introverted kinda way

On 11/2/2022 at 10:45 AM, Mike4AU said:

Not that my opinion matters…

Kiffin = great OC

Kiffin =bad and lazy HC

Bad and lazy coaches don’t turn Ole Miss into what they are. That’s just reality. He’s a loafer, and you see him loaf around and think he’s lazy. He’s done enough to have Ole Miss head and shoulders above Auburn. If that’s what a lazy version of Lane can do, sign me tf up.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Bad and lazy coaches don’t turn Ole Miss into what they are. That’s just reality. He’s a loafer, and you see him load around and think he’s lazy. He’s done enough to have Ole Miss head and shoulders above Auburn. If that’s what a lazy version of Lane can do, sign me tf up.

image.gif.2b4d10011eccb14aecabaaf1bfeb2a1e.gif

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Bad and lazy coaches don’t turn Ole Miss into what they are. That’s just reality. He’s a loafer, and you see him loaf around and think he’s lazy. He’s done enough to have Ole Miss head and shoulders above Auburn. If that’s what a lazy version of Lane can do, sign me tf up.

I don't think Lane is lazy, I think he's brilliant, and he's someone who probably doesn't have to put in as much effort as some of his peers. Maybe that gets interpreted as being lazy by some. That being said, you can't rely on talent in recruiting. You've got to be willing to outwork the other guy. 

Edited by Barnacle