Pearl win tracker - Unofficially first all time at AU (214 wins/200 official)

Sani-Freeze

Top AU men's basketball coach career win totals: 

1. Bruce Pearl in real life: 214-118 wins in 10 seasons (2014-present); .645

2. Joel Eaves: 213-100 in 14 seasons (1949–1963); .681

3. Bruce Pearl officially recognized*: 200-118; .625

3. Cliff Ellis: 186-125 in 10 seasons (1994-2004); .598

4. Sonny Smith: 173-154 in 11 seasons (1978-1989); .529

*The university vacated 12 of the 18 wins from 2016-17 as part of a deal with the NCAA stemming from the Chuck Person issues. Later, there were two additional wins (one each credited to assistants Wes Flanigan and Steven Pearl) that occurred while Bruce was serving the related suspension. So his officially recognized total from the university is 14 fewer than the overall total.  

https://auburntigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/bruce-pearl/3784

Also worth noting when comparing to other AU coaches - Bruce didn't quite get ten full seasons due to the Covid shutdown in 2020. AU had an experienced team that seemed to be heating up at the right time to win some games in March that year. 

Bruce has quickly climbed up Auburn's all-time career coaching win list, with a higher win percentage than any other AU coach except Joel Eaves at .681 (aside from a guy named Papke who went 38-18 in the 1920s). Eaves, Pearl and Shug Jordan are the only three AU coaches with winning records against SEC opponents. 

Edited by Sani-Freeze
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Bruce has quickly climbed up Auburn's all-time career coaching win list, with a higher win percentage than any other AU coach except Joel Eaves at .681 (aside from a guy named Papke who went 38-18 in the 1920s). Eaves, Pearl and Shug Jordan are the only three AU coaches with winning records against SEC conference opponents.  Here are the career win totals: 

1. Joel Eaves: 213 wins in 14 seasons (1949–1963); .681

2. Cliff Ellis: 186 wins in 10 seasons (1994-2004); .598

3. Sonny Smith: 173 in 11 seasons (1978-1989); .529

4. Bruce Pearl: 166 wins in 8/9 seasons (2014-present); .631

I mentioned this in passing in another thread. Glad you made it's as this is a huge deal for our program. He is likely to be #2 at this end of this season, and could be the leader at the end of next season. 

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Men's basketball career win tracker
On 11/3/2022 at 11:34 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think it’s impressive how good his splits look like with how horrid the first half of the tenure was, record wise 

I don't know what the strength of schedule was like for Eaves and Sonny, but I don't think Cliff Ellis was actively scheduling competitive out-of-conference matchups like we are now. So you could make the case that Bruce has gotten this many wins faster but also against a tougher field. 

Of course, Eaves wasn't coaching as many games per season so you have to look more at win % rather than total Ws for comparison. Regardless, it's an incredible feat for Bruce to get to this point so quickly.

Edited by Sani-Freeze
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

I don't know what the strength of schedule was like for Eaves and Sonny, but I don't think Cliff Ellis was actively scheduling competitive out-of-conference matchups like we are now. So you could make the case that Bruce has gotten this many wins faster but also against a tougher field. 

Of course, Eaves wasn't coaching as many games per season so you have to look more at win % rather than total Ws for comparison. Regardless, it's an incredible feat for Bruce to get to this point so quickly.

Not to mention this may be the toughest the SEC has ever been in basketball. Bruce is closing in on the most wins, with the best percentage, playing arguably the toughest schedule of any other Auburn basketball coach.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 2

• Sani-Freeze changed the title to AU basketball/Bruce Pearl career win tracker (tied for 3rd all time)
On 11/4/2022 at 10:22 AM, Sani-Freeze said:

Bruce has quickly climbed up Auburn's all-time career coaching win list, with a higher win percentage than any other AU coach except Joel Eaves at .681 (aside from a guy named Papke who went 38-18 in the 1920s). Eaves, Pearl and Shug Jordan are the only three AU coaches with winning records against SEC opponents.  Here are the career win totals: 

1. Joel Eaves: 213 wins in 14 seasons (1949–1963); .681

2. Cliff Ellis: 186 wins in 10 seasons (1994-2004); .598

3. Sonny Smith: 173 in 11 seasons (1978-1989); .529

4. Bruce Pearl: 173 wins in 8/9 seasons (2014-present); .638

he wil be the AU legend in a few yrs

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Pearl career win tracker (tied for 3rd all time)
  • Sani-Freeze changed the title to Pearl career win tracker (3rd all time at AU)

If we don't drop any games He could tie for 2nd on the 25th of Jan. vs A&M. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

If we don't drop any games He could tie for 2nd on the 25th of Jan. vs A&M. 

Unless things go south in a bad way, he should be 2nd, at least by the end of this season.  

Now six wins away from #2 spot.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Just one away from catching Cliff now

Forgive me if I’m too pessimistic, but he may not get another one this year.    
I’m sure we’re the underdog in our final 3 regular season games, and the SEC tourney will be tough.  The NCAA Tournament will be tough as well.   If we drop down to the NIT😱 he should get a couple of wins and pass Cliff.  

I may be a sunshine pumper and "Bruce apologist",  but some of you are really the total opposite.  I ain't counting a loss till we lose. And the apposing coaches aren't looking forward to playing AU either.

Edited by JuscAUse!

5 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Forgive me if I’m too pessimistic, but he may not get another one this year.    
I’m sure we’re the underdog in our final 3 regular season games, and the SEC tourney will be tough.  The NCAA Tournament will be tough as well.   If we drop down to the NIT😱 he should get a couple of wins and pass Cliff.  

I don't know about the next two, but we are 100% taking down Tennessee on 3/4. So he will tie it then and get another win in the SEC tourney to pass Ellis. Calling it now...

• Love 1

I shouldn't  believe this but for some reason I do. We beat KY to tie Cliff and then beat Tenn. to pass Cliff.   

• Like 1

• Sani-Freeze changed the title to Pearl career win tracker (2nd all time at AU)

So Bruce now needs 26 to tie Eaves and 27 to become the GOAT.  

We’ll see what happens in the portal, but if we have a really good year next year, he may get it next year.   At least by the early part of the 24-25 season Bruce should be the all time wins leader!!!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Bump. Looking at this topic, Auburn's official website has CBP at 173 whereas other sites have hime at 187. This difference is apparently related to the Chuck Person investigation and vacating wins where Purifoy and Wiley played and they were later deemed ineligible. That would have him tied for third with Sonny Smith and still chasing Ellis with 186 and Eaves with 208. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Bump. Looking at this topic, Auburn's official website has CBP at 173 whereas other sites have hime at 187. This difference is apparently related to the Chuck Person investigation and vacating wins where Purifoy and Wiley played and they were later deemed ineligible. That would have him tied for third with Sonny Smith and still chasing Ellis with 186 and Eaves with 208. 

I hope he stays long enough to take the top spot and then some. I worry about a comment I read around last year that insinuated Pearl might only want to keep going a year or two longer...

54 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I hope he stays long enough to take the top spot and then some. I worry about a comment I read around last year that insinuated Pearl might only want to keep going a year or two longer...

LINK OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

LINK OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

There are several reasons I can't (or won't) link back to that, chief among them that I have no desire to dig back through the archives to find that post, and I think it was from the Nest. And I'll preface this with the fact that it was far from definitive, hence why I say it was 'insinuated'.

Trust me, I'd rather pretend like it didn't happen.

11 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

There are several reasons I can't (or won't) link back to that, chief among them that I have no desire to dig back through the archives to find that post, and I think it was from the Nest. And I'll preface this with the fact that it was far from definitive, hence why I say it was 'insinuated'.

Trust me, I'd rather pretend like it didn't happen.

The only quote I remember him saying on record (definitively) regarding his future was at some point early last season when asked about how long he desired to go, he responded with a “I want to retire at Auburn, and for as much effort as I put into what I do, I don’t see myself still doing it in 10 years.”

On 11/5/2022 at 8:51 AM, Sani-Freeze said:

sonny and ellis scheduled weak ass opponents