My closing case for Deion

auburnatl1

Well said!   I agree!!!

JSU’s last game is 11/19.   The Iron Bowl is 11/26.  I think the announcement of Coach Prime to AU should be done during that week.  That way no one is talking about bama and their potential playoff blah blah blah, because everyone is talking about Auburn!!!!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

The logic for Deion. No ra-ra. He is unlike any other hire we’ve (maybe any P5) ever considered and there’s no wise old man to talk to to figure it out. The opportunity lis historically unique - no precedent - and therefore he’s been tagged by some as not grown up table thinking.  I believe that to be a mistake we would deeply regret.  For a long time. The case for Prime.

1) Recruiting/the portal -  We were getting crushed in recruiting before Harsin. And uga has benefitted. Deion, who’s brand is literally worth $10’s if not $100s of million alone, could be the most dominant force in all of college football. This will be hard for some to accept - but imo beyond Dabo and maybe even Saban. Immediately. He would dominate metro Atlanta (which has the pop of ala and miss combined) and other large southern, especially Fla cities.   

2) elite coordinators. Deions intellect of the game is underestimated and he knows to/can build the strongest most senior  in college football.  And he could be helped with the large program experience concerns, as he transitions.

3) Financial. No $20-40m buyout. Straight deal.  Revenue from tv (ratings would be through the roof) and tickets sales would increase radically. Strengthens NIL.

4) hiring him instead of another coach doesn’t create a vacancy at a competitor that he might fill. Have no interest in recruiting against him.

5) Unifies the fan base and combined with Pearl, a coalescence of a fresh, high energy AU brand. Buries our current dysfunction rep. 
6) Turn around speed. Unlike lesser known or “redemption” candidates. Prime gives the highest impact velocity. Portal and current class could be  resurrected to a top 5-10 realistically. 

7) Finally, our situation demands it. It’s historically bad. From every perspective. Comparing to other au messes wont work. Situations dictate the solution/candidate. We’re currently a fading afterthought with almost a zero roster - and require a massive splash jump start.

If ANY other option being discussed could directly challenge saban and Kirby,  as fast and with as high a ceiling, I’d love to hear the name.  And candidly I struggle with the risk arguments if people would fully think it through. Musk got where he is because he knew a good bet where’ others didn’t.  It’s that kind if moment. IMO going Jaba safe is actually our highest risk possible. Unless the new goal is beating arky most of the time.

image.gif.49f1d4f78a2f53eeffb3bbddf4a46af8.gif

• Like 1

Prior to Auburn hiring Coach Cadillac as an interim the SEC had no minority head coaches.  We are the premier league in college football.  "The SEC is the only Power 5 conference without any minority head coaches. The Pac-12 and Big Ten each have three Black head coaches, while the ACC has two. In the Big 12, Baylor's Dave Aranda is Mexican American."  ESPN article Why are there no Black College Football Head Coaches in SEC dated August 28, 2022.

I think if we were to hire Coach Prime it would give Auburn even more positive publicity.

Edited by Newbomb
  • Like 5

Genuinely can't lose w/ Deion.  What if he goes 3-9 two seasons in a row and gets canned?  Then you have 2 years of 4/5 star recruits for the next coach.  SO many other potential problems w/ Kiffin/Freeze etc.  Do something Auburn hasn't done...let Deion be our Orange Jersey.

• Like 4

The case for Deon is this..He will be the best recruiter in the country. That is 100% of what it takes to win in college football with what's left over dedicated to "coaching players up".

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, peashooter said:

It would be unprecedented to hire a coach from an FCS school who has been a head coach for 3 years. 

College football also has never had someone of Deion’s stature become a football coach at a program like Auburn…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Genuinely can't lose w/ Deion.  What if he goes 3-9 two seasons in a row and gets canned?  Then you have 2 years of 4/5 star recruits for the next coach.  SO many other potential problems w/ Kiffin/Freeze etc.  Do something Auburn hasn't done...let Deion be our Orange Jersey.

You don’t believe some of those kids would leave if the reason they came was because of Deion? No guarantee the cupboard will be as full as you think. And also if he is 3-9 two seasons in a row he has done a terrible job in the area most Deion detractors have a concern about - coaching in the SEC.

I want a guy who can come in here with the level of commitment as Pat Dye had for Auburn  or Vince Dooley had for uga.

Totally embrace Auburn University it’s alumni it’s players it’s fans it’s students.  It’s just not a paycheck.  To say War Eagle and mean it!

To me I can only see this type of personality in Coach Sanders.  I see him being like Coach Pearl and what Coach Pearl has brought to our university.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

What will it take to get him here? Serious question. How much $ will it take for Deion to say yes to us? I think he’d be worth $10 mil/ year to start for everything he brings to the table

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

The logic for Deion. No ra-ra. He is unlike any other hire we’ve (maybe any P5) ever considered and there’s no wise old man to talk to to figure it out. The opportunity lis historically unique - no precedent - and therefore he’s been tagged by some as not grown up table thinking.  I believe that to be a set in our ways mistake we would deeply regret.  Potentially quickly and for a long time. The case for Prime.

1) Recruiting/the portal -  We were getting crushed in recruiting before Harsin. And uga has benefitted. Deion, who’s brand is literally worth $10s if not $100s of millions alone, could be the most dominant force in all of college football. This will be hard for some to accept - but imo beyond Dabo and maybe even Saban. Immediately. He would dominate metro Atlanta (which has the pop of ala and miss combined) and other large southern, especially Fla, cities.   

2) elite coordinators. Deions intellect of the game is underestimated and he knows to/can build the strongest most senior  in college football.  And he could be helped with the large program experience concerns, as he transitions.

3) Financial. No $20-40m buyout. Straight deal.  Revenue from tv (ratings would be through the roof) and tickets sales would increase radically. Strengthens NIL. Also, potential under amour impact.

4) hiring him instead of another coach doesn’t create a vacancy at a competitor that he might fill. Have absolutely no interest in competing against him.

5) Unifies the fan base and combined with Pearl, coalesces a fresh, high energy AU brand. Buries our current dysfunction rep. 

6) Turn around speed. Unlike lesser known or “redemption” candidates. Prime gives the highest impact velocity. Current train wreck class could be  resurrected to a top 5-10 realistically. 

7) Finally, our situation demands it. It’s historically bad. From every perspective. Comparing to other au messes wont work. Situations dictate the solution/candidate. We’re currently a fading afterthought with almost a zero roster - and require a massive splash jump start.

Including Kiffin (who I accept as plan b), if ANY other option being discussed could directly challenge saban and Kirby,  as fast and with as high a ceiling, I’d love to hear the name.  And candidly I struggle with the risk arguments if people would fully think it through. Musk got where he is because he knew a good bet where’ others didn’t.  It’s that kind if moment. IMO going Jaba safe is actually our highest risk possible. Unless the new goal is beating arky most of the time.

But would we get a competent Coach?  That’s a big deal in the SEC

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

5 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Seriously, do we really believe the Auburn higherups are ready for this?

Isn't that pretty standard in the SEC?

3 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

No. But that’s jax st not Deion. You’re blurring the two.  If you listen to his speeches and approach, he’s pretty old school.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

You don’t believe some of those kids would leave if the reason they came was because of Deion? No guarantee the cupboard will be as full as you think. And also if he is 3-9 two seasons in a row he has done a terrible job in the area most Deion detractors have a concern about - coaching in the SEC.

Nah

3 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

I’m an auburn lower down and I’m ready for this! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Don’t forget though, if he did that poorly and was fired, I feel that many of those supposed high recruits split too. That’s simply the nature now for college ball. That is why I have cooled on LK and DS and would be pleased with Freeze or Caddy at this point. I mean, at this point, what does AU really have to lose? We are at the bottom currently. 

• Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Don’t forget though, if he did that poorly and was fired, I feel that many of those supposed high recruits split too. That’s simply the nature now for college ball. That is why I have cooled on LK and DS and would be pleased with Freeze or Caddy at this point. I mean, at this point, what does AU really have to lose? We are at the bottom currently. 

Respectfully, I think it’s time we stop thinking that way. It’s settling. People fall in love with auburn. It’s our biggest strength.  I grew up in Miami with little knowledge of AU and I did. So did my sister. So did Pearl.  I agree kiffin’s a mercenary, but I don’t think Prime is. Just an instinct.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"My closing case for Deion"

I vastly prefer Jeff Grimes. Then Sanders or Dell McGee if Grimes for some reason is not available.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

I am all for Deon or Kiffin. Pay them a good salary, but nothing stupid.  But give them some very high incentive packages. Much higher than any one else gives to their coaches.  

If it's true the roster and overall mood and direction of the program needs an immediate jolt, then Deion is the defibrillator. It's an extremely critical point in history right now. Either go for broke and reach for the stars, or be patient for the next 3 to 4 years. The roster has to be #1. Could players leave with Deion? Sure. Do you want great players on the roster or not? I would rather have them and take my chances versus not having them at all.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Option #1- a coach with less coaching experience who can bring in the talent ASAP.  

Option #2-a coach with more coaching "experience" who can't recruit as well and would take 3-4 years to get the talent on the roster. 

Which option would be better for Auburn right now ? My opinion is option #1 because Auburn needs talent now. With BOTH Bruce Pearl and Deion Sanders as coaches, Auburn would have elite recruiting handled. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3