My closing case for Deion

auburnatl1

On 11/19/2022 at 1:01 AM, Systems said:

Auburn hasn't hired a head football coach w/o previous head coaching experience since Ralph Shug Jordan; not likely to break that trend with this hire. 

Wrong.  Say hello to Doug Barfield.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

No offense, I mean this in the nicest possible way but,,, are you insane?

You honestly believe Charles Barkley and Bo Jackson know more about competing, about winning than,,, Mikey and Woodford?

Why sure. The war stories of @Mikey and @augolf1716 competing for a spot in the presence of one Mike Donahue in the blazing August sun are the stuff of legends.

What has happened to the interest in Deion as our next HC?  Did Auburn ever even seriously consider him?

He should have garnered at least as much consideration as Lane Kiffin, whom I like as a HC possibility.

I'm not completely sold on Deion, but I am surprised that he wasn't seriously considered, if he wasn't.

I'm certainly not privy to the AU coaching search details (gee, they didn't ask my opinion for some reason; I'm shocked).  But it doesn't feel like they took Deion seriously.  I'm surprised.

10 hours ago, Viper said:

Which is why @Mikey's guy, with 28 years as an assistant and zero as a HC, is a fart in the AU coaching search wind.

It's not my opinion. It's a stat. More than that, having previous HC experience is (very likely) a prerequisite for the AU admin qualifying the future head football coach. 

1. Proven successful previous head football coaching experience.

2. High-character.

3. Loyalty.

4. Etc. 

Edited by Systems

7 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Wrong.  Say hello to Doug Barfield.  

Ok - while proving me wrong, you're solidifying my argument that the new guy should have previous HC experience. Thanks & WDE

Edited by Systems
  • Haha 1

Sanders probably gives Auburn the best chance to land the most and highly-ranked recruits from all over the country and from other SEC schools via the transfer portal (TAMU). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Systems said:

It's not my opinion. It's a stat. More than that, having previous HC experience is (very likely) a prerequisite for the AU admin qualifying the future head football coach. 

2. High-character.

3. Loyalty.

4. Etc. 

I guess Grimes can aim for high character.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Viper said:

I guess Grimes can aim for high character.

He's more likely to win games here than is Sanders. In any case, Grimes is probably several steps down the ladder and apparently Sanders has never been on the ladder at all so there ya' go.

• Facepalm 1

36 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He's more likely to win games here than is Sanders. In any case, Grimes is probably several steps down the ladder and apparently Sanders has never been on the ladder at all so there ya' go.

Neither has been on the ladder, so we're fighting a moot point.

Of course, Kiffin can say no thanks and it's back to everyone's favorite again.

I still have Sanders light years ahead of Grimes.

14 minutes ago, Viper said:

I still have Sanders light years ahead of Grimes.

And I have Grimes light years ahead of Sanders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why all this talk about Sanders? If it’s all about star power and charisma, name Bo Jackson the head coach. Cam Newton for OC and QB coach, with Frank Thomas coaching tight ends. Takeo Spikes for DC. Add Charles Barkley as the recruiting coordinator and we would crush it for years to come 😅.

Heisman winners

NFL MVPs

Dual Sport stars

Baseball HOFer

NFL Pro Bowler

Broadcast Experience

Deion has nothing on this dream team. War Eagle!

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

What has happened to the interest in Deion as our next HC?  Did Auburn ever even seriously consider him?

He should have garnered at least as much consideration as Lane Kiffin, whom I like as a HC possibility.

I'm not completely sold on Deion, but I am surprised that he wasn't seriously considered, if he wasn't.

I'm certainly not privy to the AU coaching search details (gee, they didn't ask my opinion for some reason; I'm shocked).  But it doesn't feel like they took Deion seriously.  I'm surprised.

I made a post a couple weeks back and I said that all the fans wanting Deion are just setting themselves up to be hurt and pissed off because he won't even get a look from Auburn. Our fans built all of this "Prime is coming to Auburn" stuff up when, in reality, nobody has ever said he was vetting an interview or that we were going that route. Then the media latched on after they saw how passionate our fanbase was for Deion. The media knew it would get a ton of followers and clicks on their sites or podcasts. Then when John Cohen announces our new HC and it isn't Deion, the fans will immediately get pissed and blame boosters for meddling or the BOT for not backing a Deion hire. I've never understood why our fans always get a coach into their head and start building all of these fairytales that we are going to hire him just to be pissed off when it doesnt happen. The Deion faithful have now moved over to Cadillac for coach.

And now they're thinking Dabo is coming to Auburn. Dabo just inked a 10 year, $115 million dollar extension at Clemson on Sept. 8th, 2022. The contract runs through 2031. He is also a Bammer and absolutely hates Auburn. There's no way in hell he would even consider this job. Now the media is pumping out articles about how Dabo reached out to us. BS The media just knows that any big name they throw out there, our fanbase is so freaking desperate to win that they'll latch onto any news and believe its gonna happen. 

Fans are just setting themselves up to be angry over something that was never happening to begin with. 

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I Fans are just setting themselves up to be angry over something that was never happening to begin with. 

I’m trying to follow this.  So is your point to just accept and settle because disappointment is… bad?

14 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I’m trying to follow this.  So is your point to just accept and settle because disappointment is… bad?

Disappointment is bad when you set yourself up to be disappointed and that's what a number of our fans have done. There's no way that a coach with Sanders' lack of experience is going to be hired at an SEC school. Sit back and think about it for a minute. Something like that isn't happening.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Disappointment is bad when you set yourself up to be disappointed and that's what a number of our fans have done. There's no way that a coach with Sanders' lack of experience is going to be hired at an SEC school. Sit back and think about it for a minute. Something like that isn't happening.

Never said it would. Let me ask a different question - make it simple, forget the  straight line traditional  resume focus for a min.

Given his intangibles and the staff he would have assembled, would  he have nailed the role and taken us finally to an elite level? I know what you’re going to say, but Vegas would have liked his odds.

Guest MustardSeed
On 11/20/2022 at 8:33 PM, Systems said:

2. High-character.

3. Loyalty.

4. Etc. 

So you’re saying Deion (doesn’t tick #1, Lane doesn’t tick 2 or 3), and Freeze (is the opposite of #2) are all off the board?

I think your list only really leaves Dabo out of all the real names we’ve heard…which would be great but unlikely. So if that’s the case it’s maybe a Luke Fickel?  Franklin doesn’t check #2 (check how he left Vandy).  Lanning is close to checking them all but not sure 1 year counts for #1…

So…who have you got making that list?

Guest MustardSeed
15 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

I was just about to post this. Deion would tear it up in S Florida.

I bet UCF would trade him for Gus…and with how big their school is support would be insane. They’d be an instant powerhouse…assuming his coaching/assistants are mid-top tier. UCF fans already want Gus gone 🤣

8 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Never said it would. Let me ask a different question - make it simple, forget the  straight line traditional  resume focus for a min.

Given his intangibles and the staff he would have assembled, would  he have nailed the role and taken us finally to an elite level? I know what you’re going to say, but Vegas would have liked his odds.

No need to read any farther. Assumed intangibles is 99% of what Sanders has to offer. In other words, pie in the sky. Pipe dreams. Wishing on a star. There's no solid, tangible reason to hire him.

I think USF would be a great starting place for Deion. If he does well there he for sure can jump into a respected program. Colorado is a joke and I hope he doesn’t go there.