Jump to content

My closing case for Deion


auburnatl1
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Deon would be a great hire for the obvious reasons - even if stayed for only a few years.  It would certainly put us on an equivalence basis talent-wise with the top programs in the league.

I just can't think of a good reason why he might want to do it.  :dunno:

He's a competitor. We play in the toughest division in football and what better way to show you're the best by winning the Conference. We have the resources, history and location to compete, all we are missing is a coach to bring the fanbase/boosters together. 

Edited by arein0
Formatting
Link to comment
Share on other sites





Deion would elevate au in every way. I’m not sure we can even fully visualize the lift and implications. We’d be the hottest most covered  destination in college sports. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would love for Dion Sanders to be the HBC at Auburn. It would be an incredible atmosphere, recruiting would be phenomenal and I am positive he would surround himself with outstanding coordinators and position coaches but the major question is still the same. Does he want to leave the HBCU community before his task is complete. Yes, he said he would listen to offers from the big universities, that does not mean he is wanting to make that move yet.  Could it happen? Absolutely! Will it? That is the million dollar question….

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, arein0 said:

He's a competitor. We play in the toughest division in football and what better way to show you're the best by winning the Conference. We have the resources, history and location to compete, all we are missing is a coach to bring the fanbase/boosters together. 

All true. 

But, I think Dionne has a purpose for being where he is at a HBCU, so it sort of depends where he thinks he is in fulfilling that purpose. 

He can always stay put until later - say when the job at FSU opens - to prove the power 5 case.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, arein0 said:

He's a competitor. We play in the toughest division in football and what better way to show you're the best by winning the Conference. We have the resources, history and location to compete, all we are missing is a coach to bring the fanbase/boosters together. 

Deion has nothing to prove to anyone.   He isn’t doing what he is doing to prove that he is  competitive.   He thinks he has a purpose to better educate young black men and to bring attention to HBCU’s.   If he is contacted and does decide to coach at Auburn, it will be to continue that purpose.   He doesn’t strike me as the guy that will get emotionally invested in Auburn.   Again that’s just my opinion.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The notion that Auburn can somehow go bargain basement on salary or buyout with Deion is ludicrous.  To think we could pay him less than the current upper half of SEC HC's and not have to give him guaranteed buyout compensation just because he and his staff are coming from the SWAC is silly. 

He and his entourage will come to the table educated on all SEC program's contract terms AND they will expect to get Big 6 money to coach at a Big 6 SEC school. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

My closing argument: There is no ceiling for Prime at Auburn.

Everybody on the planet seems to see it.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Everybody on the planet but AU seems to see it.

Well we don’t know that yet. Again we are only relying on people on websites that just do not know what is going on behind the scenes. 
I will say that our past hiring processes would indicate that we struggle with seeing the obvious. Hopefully Cohen can see it and convince the $ people. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

He and his entourage will come to the table educated on all SEC program's contract terms AND they will expect to get Big 6 money to coach at a Big 6 SEC school. 

As they should. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Deion has nothing to prove to anyone.   He isn’t doing what he is doing to prove that he is  competitive.   He thinks he has a purpose to better educate young black men and to bring attention to HBCU’s.   If he is contacted and does decide to coach at Auburn, it will be to continue that purpose.   He doesn’t strike me as the guy that will get emotionally invested in Auburn.   Again that’s just my opinion.  

Deion wouldn't be a competitor if he believed your 1st statements. As for the rest, being competitive and helping educate / mentor youth aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, that's one of the main reasons people get into coaching.

The original question I was answering was why would Deion have interest in coming to Auburn. 

As for the FSU part, he could just as easily say that they had lots of opportunities to hire him and feel slighted that they didn't reach out to him earlier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are lots of reasons Deion would come to Auburn, and he’s said them himself. 

He has stated repeatedly he would be stupid to not entertain P5 offers. 

He has interviewed for P5 jobs and has said he felt he should have been hired (Arky and TCU are two I know of).

He wants to take care of his staff who is making probably less than SEC analysts.  I know he has a few working for free and at least one guy is he paying out of his own pocket. 

He wants more exposure for his son and if so, he needs to make the move now to the P5 so Shedeur has two years to play before he can declare.  

Auburn sits right smack in the middle of a recruiting hotbed and Deion would have every resource available to any head coach including a funded NIL to recruit. 

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AEAugirl said:

There are lots of reasons Deion would come to Auburn, and he’s said them himself. 

He has stated repeatedly he would be stupid to not entertain P5 offers. 

He has interviewed for P5 jobs and has said he felt he should have been hired (Arky and TCU are two I know of).

He wants to take care of his staff who is making probably less than SEC analysts.  I know he has a few working for free and at least one guy is he paying out of his own pocket. 

He wants more exposure for his son and if so, he needs to make the move now to the P5 so Shedeur has two years to play before he can declare.  

Auburn sits right smack in the middle of a recruiting hotbed and Deion would have every resource available to any head coach including a funded NIL to recruit. 

 

All of these are true but he also states that he is on a mission to make HBCU’s back to being a destination for young, talented African American  men as it once was. He has stated he should have been offered two of the P5 jobs, not that he would have taken them. I am not saying he would turn  down the Auburn job, IF offered, (and yes I upper cases if) but going by what he is most passionate about at the moment, Auburn isn’t it. JMO

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Deion should be our number 1 target.  And, I still think either Kiffin or Freeze would make for good hires as well.  

Honestly, considering how awful everything has been the last 2 years we are really in a good place for this hiring.  We have multiple coaches out there that could provide instant improvements in recruiting, portal and morale.

 

Will it work out?  Who knows...

Will our #1 accept the position?  Who knows...

 

I'm excited to find out come end of season!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, BornAU76 said:

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Deion should be our number 1 target.  And, I still think either Kiffin or Freeze would make for good hires as well.  

Honestly, considering how awful everything has been the last 2 years we are really in a good place for this hiring.  We have multiple coaches out there that could provide instant improvements in recruiting, portal and morale.

 

Will it work out?  Who knows...

Will our #1 accept the position?  Who knows...

 

I'm excited to find out come end of season!

 

People don't like this, but he looks like an old man limping to the air plane.  This is not a long term solution for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

My closing argument: There is no ceiling for Prime at Auburn.

There is also no floor and Sanders being below the floor level is just as likely as him exceeding the ceiling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

There is also no floor and Sanders being below the floor level is just as likely as him exceeding the ceiling.

The floor is Harsin and a rock on my driveway could coach /recruit better than him. 
Deion can recruit better than anyone else we would hire. 
You want to win now, you have to take chances. At least we gave it a shot and did not settle. 

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, aubaseball said:

He doesn’t strike me as the guy that will get emotionally invested in Auburn.

Disagreed. He is all about getting attention on Jackson State to lift that program. He adores them. It will be no different anywhere else he goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

The floor is Harsin and a rock on my driveway could coach /recruit better than him. 
Deion can recruit better than anyone else we would hire. 
You want to win now, you have to take chances. At least we gave it a shot and did not settle. 

An awful lot of people are taking this assumption as truth. Nobody has any idea how Sanders will recruit when he has to bump heads with the Big Boys for every single recruit on his list. He's been able to sell JSU to a few coveted recruits because he's pumping up the "help HBCU's" sales pitch. He won't have that angle to use at Auburn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

An awful lot of people are taking this assumption as truth. Nobody has any idea how Sanders will recruit when he has to bump heads with the Big Boys for every single recruit on his list. He's been able to sell JSU to a few coveted recruits because he's pumping up the "help HBCU's" sales pitch. He won't have that angle to use at Auburn.

Fair. It’s speculation. But it’s a good bet he could be the best in the country.

Candidly, Ive reached the point where I believe that if Deion - a guy who only wants to be elite at any level - doesn’t believe he can be dominant at auburn, for any reason, he’ll turn us down. Pretty quickly. He loves what he’s doing and is in no hurry. His stock will continue to rise and the coaching openings next year might be huge and could pick whatever he wants. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Fair. It’s speculation. But it’s a good bet he could be the best in the country.

Candidly, Ive reached the point where I believe that if Deion - a guy who only wants to be elite at any level - doesn’t believe he can be dominant at auburn, for any reason, he’ll turn us down. Pretty quickly. He loves what he’s doing and is in no hurry. His stock will continue to rise and the coaching openings next year might be huge and could pick whatever he wants. 

What you have in Sanders s a long-shot bet that someone who has never tried P5 head or even assistant coaching is going to be a big success. On rare occasion, long shots do finish in the money but pinning your hopes on that happening is not the way to make a living.

Would Sanders think he can succeed at Auburn? Of course he would. He and every other coach who is considered for the job thinks he can succeed at Auburn. Harsin thought he could succeed at Auburn. Belief in success will be there no matter who we hire. It's a non-issue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What you have in Sanders s a long-shot bet that someone who has never tried P5 head or even assistant coaching is going to be a big success. On rare occasion, long shots do finish in the money but pinning your hopes on that happening is not the way to make a living.

Would Sanders think he can succeed at Auburn? Of course he would. He and every other coach who is considered for the job thinks he can succeed at Auburn. Harsin thought he could succeed at Auburn. Belief in success will be there no matter who we hire. It's a non-issue.

I get the big boy pants skepticism but Deion has competed in worlds that are much bigger than auburn. He understands the challenge and our strengths and weaknesses probably better than us. And he’s knows  coaches and analysts throughout the industry who counsel him.

This is different. Deion is worth over $50m and making millions in endorsements and commercials as we speak. He gives most his salary back to jax st. We can’t buy him and he’s only interested in winning national championships. Plus he feels a calling where he’s at. IMO selling him on au would be harder than selling you on Deion.  Which is why I’ve always advocated Deion 1st but have a plan b.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Mikey said:

An awful lot of people are taking this assumption as truth. Nobody has any idea how Sanders will recruit when he has to bump heads with the Big Boys for every single recruit on his list. He's been able to sell JSU to a few coveted recruits because he's pumping up the "help HBCU's" sales pitch. He won't have that angle to use at Auburn.

Definitely no evidence to support good recruiting at this level, but the plusses certainly point that way to me:

-recruiting at a historic level at JSU ( nobody close).

-has the persona/personality to get ino the room with every recruit he visits

-has the NFl experience/connections to point recruits to the place they want to go (NFL) (his existing staff has more NFL experience than any other in CFB at this point).

all these and more point to him being a successful recruiter where ever he is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...