My closing case for Deion

auburnatl1

4 hours ago, woodford said:

Think of him recruiting for Auburn. If HBCU’s/JSU are so great then why would you go to Auburn? No one can honestly answer that question.

“I don’t know how many more times I have to say it. I’m not going to be the Alabama coach.”

That guy did ok at recruiting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

So have you actually watched him coach his team yet?

And the stuff about tackling I just don't know what you have going on with that. What you describe is what is said about corners in general. Then on top of that you have plenty of film of him tackling literally everybody. You do not have one play on film where you see him avoid a player because he seems scared. You are literally just saying stuff.

Lastly neither saban or smart questions their player's manhood. If they did they wouldn't even be successful. That's just what fans imagine needs to take place that don't actually play or work with kids. 

If that was truly successful then you would have corporations mirroring the template and when you go to work you would have bosses questioning their employees manhood. 

How tough was saban as a player that he wasn't even good enough to play pros? Do you think of that? The guys that weren't even talented enough to play at a high level don't have their toughness questioned but the guy who is regarded as the best to ever play his position isn't tough.......really think about what you are saying

Hi Cole,

I've thought a lot about what I'm saying.  And I've followed Deion throughout his career, including seeing him make a game-clinching heartbreak interception of an AU pass in the end zone as time expired in a game against Florida State when I was a student at AU - we lost because of him.

And then I was a huge fan of his while he was playing for the Atlanta Braves - minus the one childish and stupid incident where he vindictively poured cold water over an old man (Tim McCarver) in the locker room after a playoff win.

But overall, Deion is great.  And I'd be fine with him as AU head coach.  I'm just trying to chime in and discuss a few concerns.

I don't really doubt his ability to be tough on players, but I honestly question it.

And yes, both Saban and Smart get to the point of questioning players' man cards in order to motivate them.  I was invited long ago to watch football practices at Alabama A&M University (because I coached the DC's son in baseball), and was shocked at the level of "man card challenging" done by the coaches there during every-day practices.  It was eye-opening.  It was almost like watching the movie "Full Metal Jacket" all over again.

Have you ever witnessed college football coaching at the field level so you could see and hear everything that went on?  I have.

I realize that no DB wants to tackle Bo Jackson, Derrick Henry, Earl Campbell, or John Riggins.  But at this point we are splitting hairs between candidates and many criticisms are valid, because none of the potential coaches check every box.

In the end, I fully expect Deion to be our next head coach.  I'd bet on it, and I'd welcome that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Hi Cole,

I've thought a lot about what I'm saying.  And I've followed Deion throughout his career, including seeing him make a game-clinching heartbreak interception of an AU pass in the end zone as time expired in a game against Florida State when I was a student at AU - we lost because of him.

And then I was a huge fan of his while he was playing for the Atlanta Braves - minus the one childish and stupid incident where he vindictively poured cold water over an old man (Tim McCarver) in the locker room after a playoff win.

But overall, Deion is great.  And I'd be fine with him as AU head coach.  I'm just trying to chime in and discuss a few concerns.

I don't really doubt his ability to be tough on players, but I honestly question it.

And yes, both Saban and Smart get to the point of questioning players' man cards in order to motivate them.  I was invited long ago to watch football practices at Alabama A&M University (because I coached the DC's son in baseball), and was shocked at the level of "man card challenging" done by the coaches there during every-day practices.  It was eye-opening.  It was almost like watching the movie "Full Metal Jacket" all over again.

Have you ever witnessed college football coaching at the field level so you could see and hear everything that went on?  I have.

I realize that no DB wants to tackle Bo Jackson, Derrick Henry, Earl Campbell, or John Riggins.  But at this point we are splitting hairs between candidates and many criticisms are valid, because none of the potential coaches check every box.

In the end, I fully expect Deion to be our next head coach.  I'd bet on it, and I'd welcome that.

How do you not doubt something but then question it? That doesn’t even make sense. Not even in a forum.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

How do you not doubt something but then question it? That doesn’t even make sense. Not even in a forum.

To me, questioning is "wondering", while doubting is "I don't think so".

It's just semantics.

I wonder about his toughness.  That's all.  And I think that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

“I don’t know how many more times I have to say it. I’m not going to be the Alabama coach.”

That guy did ok at recruiting.

He sure did. He also won a NC at an SEC school a few years prior to that statement. He also wasn't praising the NFL and building it up like it's some superior institution that is somehow neglected by society.

Sort of apples and oranges. 

Something tells me that Georgia Tech will hire Deion and he will bring in top 10 classes and a plethora of transfers. He will coach there for 3 years before retiring due to health issues. They win one ACC title, never win a playoff game, and go 0-3 against Georgia lol If there were futures bets for that I would put a grand on it.

Edited by woodford

5 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

To me, questioning is "wondering", while doubting is "I don't think so".

It's just semantics.

I wonder about his toughness.  That's all.  And I think that makes sense.

I understand the comment. To doubt someone that played at the top of the NFL for most of his career 1989-2005 (I believe), including at least 8 Pro-bowl selections while also playing at a high level in a totally different sport. Not sure how you can do all that wo being “tough”. We just have different understandings of the term. He isn’t a line backer , and wasn’t built like one. 

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

I understand the comment. To doubt someone that played at the top of the NFL for most of his career 1989-2005 (I believe), including at least 8 Pro-bowl selections while also playing at a high level in a totally different sport. Not sure how you can do all that wo being “tough”. We just have different understandings of the term. He isn’t a line backer , and wasn’t built like one. 

I understand your disagreement.  We're splitting hairs here between 3 great coaches who would bring us back to CFP reality.  I would love it if Deion was the coach chosen...

Just trying to chime in and discuss...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I understand your disagreement.  We're splitting hairs here between 3 great coaches who would bring us back to CFP reality.  I would love it if Deion was the coach chosen...

Just trying to chime in and discuss...

Sorry if I came off argumentative.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Sorry if I came off argumentative.

Not at all.  Let's discuss.  No hard feelings here.

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, woodford said:

He sure did. He also won a NC at an SEC school a few years prior to that statement. He also wasn't praising the NFL and building it up like it's some superior institution that is somehow neglected by society.

Sort of apples and oranges. 

Something tells me that Georgia Tech will hire Deion and he will bring in top 10 classes and a plethora of transfers. He will coach there for 3 years before retiring due to health issues. They win one ACC title, never win a playoff game, and go 0-3 against Georgia lol If there were futures bets for that I would put a grand on it.

Point was he instilled belief in the Dolphins organization he wasn’t interested in the Alabama job. IIRC, he pissed off lots of Dolphins players the way he left them hanging. Did that divorce have any affect whatsoever recruiting players to Alabama? 

Prime is not going to GT. Their academic standards are too high. Just because he loves Atlanta doesn’t mean he wants to coach the college team there.

If AU hires Kiffin, Ole Miss will hire Prime.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Point was he instilled belief in the Dolphins organization he wasn’t interested in the Alabama job. IIRC, he pissed off lots of Dolphins players the way he left them hanging. Did that divorce have any affect whatsoever recruiting players to Alabama? 

Prime is not going to GT. Their academic standards are too high. Just because he loves Atlanta doesn’t mean he wants to coach the college team there.

I think you are correct, if he will go.

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

I not sure everyone had seen my post about the CEO. But a Ceo with over $100 million said he would become an Auburn fan and become a cash supporter if they hire Sanders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

No one will ever accuse of a lack of detail in your predictions.
We don’t need another problem in our ga recruiting so I hope youre wrong. Imo Their weak facilities, lack of football passion, and academic requirements make being successful there  a non starter for him.

20 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

No one will ever accuse of a lack of detail in your predictions.
We don’t need another problem in our ga recruiting so I hope youre wrong. Imo Their weak facilities, lack of football passion, and academic requirements make being successful there  a non starter for him.

I’m mostly joking. I’d be ok with the Deion hire at Auburn. I just don’t think he’s the second coming of Christ like some do. There are some serious and legitimate questions that would have to be answered. And to some people that’s blasphemy but whatever. It’s not our call. 

It's just wild no other candidates have the fly by question everything about their life. Besides freeze it's strictly football. Sanders people are literally using the good he does to make a negative

8 hours ago, woodford said:

I can’t get past the whole “I love HBCU’s and support them but will definitely dip immediately if given a better opportunity.” Just seems like a giant virtue signal he’s using to parlay into a better job. Kind of sleazy but genius for him to get paid more one day. Deion is entertaining but he definitely gives off a politician like grifter vibe at times.  

You can sincerely believe in something and not dedicate the rest of your life to it. 

I don't get a "grifter" vibe from Deion. But all big time college coaches are part politician/salesman. They are selling themselves constantly to everyone. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's just wild no other candidates have the fly by question everything about their life. Besides freeze it's strictly football. Sanders people are literally using the good he does to make a negative

Not entirely accurate Cole...at least I don't think so.

Look, Deion is going to be our next head coach.  No doubt, if he takes the offer, and it will be a heavy offer.  We have to get this hire right, and he is as "right" as any coaching candidate we have.  And we have good candidates.

We are all anxious, but we have a few weeks to wait yet.  It's gonna be a tough and sometimes argumentative period on this board.

Hopefully, we can all kiss and make up after Deion is hired.

48 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Look, Deion is going to be our next head coach.  No doubt, if he takes the offer, and it will be a heavy offer.  We have to get this hire right, and he is as "right" as any coaching candidate we have.  And we have good candidates.

We are all anxious, but we have a few weeks to wait yet.  It's gonna be a tough and sometimes argumentative period on this board.

Well feel free to quote me some posts that says otherwise but until then I'm going to believe what I believe

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Who told u Deion was for sure gonna be our next coach? You have stated this twice....

Deion firmly believes in the HBC mission. He will flirt with a offer and then stay. He will publicly identify the offers and his rejection and spin it beautifully to show his commitment to a deeper purpose of coaching. His stock will go even higher and it will be a brilliant move. 

Edited by GreenTiger

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well feel free to quote me some posts that says otherwise but until then I'm going to believe what I believe

Cole, I don't know what you mean.  I'm just a casual fan, on a casual forum.  But I'm damn proud to be an Auburn graduate.  Class of 1985, when Bo Jackson  set the standard for all college running backs.

Other than that, I don't know anything about sports.  I just to love to watch AU play.

On the other hand, I claim, like you and many here, to know what I'm talking about.  But in reality, I don't.  No more than I claim to know about fishing.

But I still fish.  And occasionally catch something.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Who told u Deion was for sure gonna be our next coach? You have stated this twice....

No one.  It's just my personal guess, and I don't have any inside (or outside) sources.

This is a message board for discussion, and I like to discuss.  I don't claim to have any inside or expert knowledge, unlike multiple moderators have here in the past, while claiming to have "knowledge" that proved to be wrong.

Can you imagine a scenario otherwise than Deion being hired?  I can't.  But the AU boosters and the Rane Man may have other plans.  I'm just a casual fan and graduate.

There is no chance that AU will ever consult me on  any coaching hire, so my opinion matters exactly 0%.  It's just an opinion.

30 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Cole, I don't know what you mean.  I'm just a casual fan, on a casual forum.  But I'm damn proud to be an Auburn graduate.  Class of 1985, when Bo Jackson  set the standard for all college running backs.

Other than that, I don't know anything about sports.  I just to love to watch AU play.

On the other hand, I claim, like you and many here, to know what I'm talking about.  But in reality, I don't.  No more than I claim to know about fishing.

But I still fish.  And occasionally catch something.

I don't know anything about all that other stuff you were saying, I was just responding to the stuff you said when you quoted me

53 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't know anything about all that other stuff you were saying, I was just responding to the stuff you said when you quoted me

OK, then let's fish sometime and talk AU sports.

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

No one.  It's just my personal guess, and I don't have any inside (or outside) sources.

This is a message board for discussion, and I like to discuss.  I don't claim to have any inside or expert knowledge, unlike multiple moderators have here in the past, while claiming to have "knowledge" that proved to be wrong.

Can you imagine a scenario otherwise than Deion being hired?  I can't.  But the AU boosters and the Rane Man may have other plans.  I'm just a casual fan and graduate.

There is no chance that AU will ever consult me on  any coaching hire, so my opinion matters exactly 0%.  It's just an opinion.

Ok.