Rob Pate article:Worth a read

Taker

This is a Great article from Rob, I think that it sums up what most of us feel and it highlights the greatness that we are about to see from this interim staff... I am excited to see what the boys can do. We may not win a game, but I am certain that the team we see tomorrow night in Starkville will be completely different than what we have seen so far this year. 

War Eagle and let's go!!!!

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/pates-perspective-four-auburn-greats-stand-in-the-gap-fight-for-the-programs-legacy/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 2

Great article. Thanks for sharing. Hoping our men make some bulldog heads roll tomorrow, win/lose/or draw!

Had a lump in my throat after reading that. Great stuff. Auburn people know the opportunity before us. Let’s hope this is the new beginning we’ve all dreamed about. War Damn Eagle 🦅 Forever 

8 hours ago, Taker said:

This is a Great article from Rob, I think that it sums up what most of us feel and it highlights the greatness that we are about to see from this interim staff... I am excited to see what the boys can do. We may not win a game, but I am certain that the team we see tomorrow night in Starkville will be completely different than what we have seen so far this year. 

War Eagle and let's go!!!!

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/pates-perspective-four-auburn-greats-stand-in-the-gap-fight-for-the-programs-legacy/

How do you gauge greatness if not by winning any games? I’m confused.

• Sad 1

Great article by Rob! Definitely sums  up the feelings of the Auburn family and especially of the players that have worn the orange and blue. War Eagle 🦅 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

By at least getting the fundamentals of the game right and not turning the ball over 4x/game. I think we all witnessed the effort of the Auburn team (at least offensively) against Ole Miss, and although we didn’t win, they exceeded our expectations and performed better than they had probably all season. Defensive scorching is/was another story. Of course we want to win, and hopefully we do. But hopefully the going through the motions, lack of discipline, penalties, turnovers, less than inspiring play, and awful mistakes will decrease, along with boneheaded coaching calls from the previous staff. Taking some pride in what they’re doing on the field will go a long way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUINSY said:

By at least getting the fundamentals of the game right and not turning the ball over 4x/game. I think we all witnessed the effort of the Auburn team (at least offensively) against Ole Miss, and although we didn’t win, they exceeded our expectations and performed better than they had probably all season. Defensive scorching is/was another story. Of course we want to win, and hopefully we do. But hopefully the going through the motions, lack of discipline, penalties, turnovers, less than inspiring play, and awful mistakes will decrease, along with boneheaded coaching calls from the previous staff. Taking some pride in what they’re doing on the field will go a long way. 

This is exactly what we're all hoping for today.  The stress of the last few weeks has been a heavy burden on these kids, and a huge distraction. That's been lifted, and now they can focus on the game instead of being caught up in all the drama. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

This is exactly what we're all hoping for today.  The stress of the last few weeks has been a heavy burden on these kids, and a huge distraction. That's been lifted, and now they can focus on the game instead of being caught up in all the drama. 

I think the other thing too is our guys just having fun. I don’t think our guys have enjoyed playing in a while. Bo talked about how Harsin took the joy out of the game. Maybe Caddy and co can bring some fun back into it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Greatness is not a metric that is measured simply by W/L record, Greatness is an intangible that is measured by effort and desire to fight on even though the opposition looks to be to much. I believe that what we see out of this team and staff will be GREATNESS by many standards. If we reduce it to simple w/L record then we are robbing these young men of the respect that they deserve for their strong will and character. 

1 hour ago, AUINSY said:

💯 

33 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Let's all hope that the DRAMA is gone for a while (except for on the field where we win in dramatic fashion)

10 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

I think the other thing too is our guys just having fun. I don’t think our guys have enjoyed playing in a while. Bo talked about how Harsin took the joy out of the game. Maybe Caddy and co can bring some fun back into it. 

A lot can be said for a joyous environment. We as grown men can't often times handle the stress of a toxic environment and succeed. How can we expect young men too... I agree that with the new staff and new life and galvanized atmosphere will yield a much different result that what we have seen the last 2 years. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Adversity builds character. Character builds communities. Communities build cities. Cities build states. States built this country. How big do you want to build?

Edited by Bottomfeeder
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, AUINSY said:

I haven't seen Auburn players having fun in a long,long time. They're all due to have a great day. I hope this game is the one where it starts to return. There are some terrible Harsin habits they'll have to shake off but maybe they can take a big step at MSU.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Taker said:

Greatness is not a metric that is measured simply by W/L record, Greatness is an intangible that is measured by effort and desire to fight on even though the opposition looks to be to much. I believe that what we see out of this team and staff will be GREATNESS by many standards. If we reduce it to simple w/L record then we are robbing these young men of the respect that they deserve for their strong will and character. 

💯

Let's all hope that the DRAMA is gone for a while (except for on the field where we win in dramatic fashion)

A lot can be said for a joyous environment. We as grown men can't often times handle the stress of a toxic environment and succeed. How can we expect young men too... I agree that with the new staff and new life and galvanized atmosphere will yield a much different result that what we have seen the last 2 years. 

If you think a football team can be “great” and not win any games, I believe you are wrong. Many different words can be used to describe them but not great. Unless you modify the term great in some way. 

8 hours ago, Bottomfeeder said:

Adversity builds character. Character builds communities. Communities build cities. Cities build states. States built this country. How big do you want to build?

So I can agree if you describe a winless team by they have great “character”. But that is not what the poster said. He basically said they can be great regardless of wins/losses. Besides that, you are building nations not football teams.lol

20 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

If you think a football team can be “great” and not win any games, I believe you are wrong. Many different words can be used to describe them but not great. Unless you modify the term great in some way. 

I disagree, someone can be great even if they do not win, you are mistaking the point of thinking that the "team" is a singular entity made up of one. However it in fact is not that. It is a group of individuals that can in fact have greatness within them and coming out of them and still not produce and end result of a win. Therefore I am a firm believer that by sheer will of continuing to fight and improve does in fact represent greatness for this group if individuals that make a "football team" 

Now if you are referencing the program... no this isn't great! 

20 minutes ago, Taker said:

I disagree, someone can be great even if they do not win, you are mistaking the point of thinking that the "team" is a singular entity made up of one. However it in fact is not that. It is a group of individuals that can in fact have greatness within them and coming out of them and still not produce and end result of a win. Therefore I am a firm believer that by sheer will of continuing to fight and improve does in fact represent greatness for this group if individuals that make a "football team" 

Now if you are referencing the program... no this isn't great! 

I understand what makes a team. That’s pretty simple , even to a dodo like me. A team can have great character, they can have great toughness, they can have many other great attributes, but if they have no wins they will not be recognized as a great football team. A “great” example (see what i did there, lol) would be the 1971 Marshall team. I believe they only won 2 games that year but showed a “great” deal of courage and tenacity. But to describe a football team by great with no wins doesn’t fit at all.

12 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I understand what makes a team. That’s pretty simple , even to a dodo like me. A team can have great character, they can have great toughness, they can have many other great attributes, but if they have no wins they will not be recognized as a great football team. A “great” example (see what i did there, lol) would be the 1971 Marshall team. I believe they only won 2 games that year but showed a “great” deal of courage and tenacity. But to describe a football team by great with no wins doesn’t fit at all.

I can understand that but the original reference point was not the Greatness of this football team, however the Greatness that we would see out of this staff (team included) using the terms that you are using (Character, fight, desire, etc). By many standards that would be considered great. I agree this will not go down as a Great Auburn team by any standard but I think that we will all look back and remark at how Great this staff did with what they were handed... 

Sorry I got off topic and started a debate of "GREAT TEAM" vs "Greatness" 

I thought the guy’s fought their asses of tonight.  The same deficiencies that the team has had all year, namely lack of an offensive line, cost them what would have been a morale boosting victory.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I thought the guy’s fought their asses of tonight.  The same deficiencies that the team has had all year, namely lack of an offensive line, cost them what would have been a morale boosting victory.  

I agree. A loss like that is tough when you really need a win. I'm proud of them for not giving up or taking the easy road. Hopefully we can finish out the year with some wins. If not, then there will be plenty to correct.