Tough loss, But

russnagel1

It certainly seemed to be a better team last night. We all could tell there was more enthusiasm, which is great everybody loves that. The game planning and scheme seemed much better on both sides of the ball. I'm not an X's and O's type of fan, I watch and have fun or I watch and get mad. I would like to hear from the more football savy members of AUFamily. What did ya'll see that was different last night? What kind of adjustments were made?

An X's and O's thread might be popular.

I saw where someone speculated that several play calls may have been made to just show the players that the coaches believed in them.  🤷‍♀️ I’m not an Xs and Os person either.  I appreciate when someone explains certain plays so that I can learn something new, so I agree with you.  I’d like to see someone explain the different plays that they saw last night.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russnagel1 said:

It certainly seemed to be a better team last night. We all could tell there was more enthusiasm, which is great everybody loves that. The game planning and scheme seemed much better on both sides of the ball. I'm not an X's and O's type of fan, I watch and have fun or I watch and get mad. I would like to hear from the more football savy members of AUFamily. What did ya'll see that was different last night? What kind of adjustments were made?

An X's and O's thread might be popular.

I thought we looked like a high school team from the 1970's in a play off game giving it all they had.  It was like let's put all the tight ends on run side of the field and run the football.  

Edited by Auburn93

Someone mentioned in the game thread last night that they were emotionally invested in the game for the first time in a while.  Exactly how I felt.  Heart was racing up and down, pulling for our Tigers hard on every snap.  I know we aren’t in the moral victory business but damn that was fun watching the game last night.  We are Auburn and we’ll get the right guy in place and we’ll be back sooner rather than later. 
WAR DAMN EAGLE

• Like 5

Not an X's and O's expert either, but these are a few of what I've read...

Offense- Used outside zone more. Apparently we rarely did that under Harsin. Seemed like we also ran the toss sweep with Jarquez a bit more like we used to last year and let him find space. With Robby, looks like they started to roll him out the pocket a little bit more and let him attempt throws from there or tuck and run. Hard to scheme around him.

Defense- This is where more of the changes happened, and they were dramatic. Personnel wise a lot more rotation on DL. At LB there were massive changes. Steiner only played 6 snaps, and Barton Lester and Levant rotated in his spot. This caused them to use Pappoe more in space and as a DE type LB. Secondary JD Rhym seemed to play the whole game, and Marquise Gilbert got a lot of snaps for the first time. 

Where I am curious is what we did schematically to slow the air raid like we did. They started out fast the first two drives, but Leach and Rogers were really flustered and frustrated for most of the rest of the game. Not sure if we were disguising coverages, but whatever it was worked. 

5 minutes ago, au302 said:

Offense- Used outside zone more. Apparently we rarely did that under Harsin. Seemed like we also ran the toss sweep with Jarquez a bit more like we used to last year and let him find space. With Robby, looks like they started to roll him out the pocket a little bit more and let him attempt throws from there or tuck and run. Hard to scheme around him.

Defense- This is where more of the changes happened, and they were dramatic. Personnel wise a lot more rotation on DL. At LB there were massive changes. Steiner only played 6 snaps, and Barton Lester and Levant rotated in his spot. This caused them to use Pappoe more in space and as a DE type LB. Secondary JD Rhym seemed to play the whole game, and Marquise Gilbert got a lot of snaps for the first time. 

Where I am curious is what we did schematically to slow the air raid like we did. They started out fast the first two drives, but Leach and Rogers were really flustered and frustrated for most of the rest of the game. Not sure if we were disguising coverages, but whatever it was worked. 

We had a ton of press coverage and was able to disrupt the routes long enough for the DL to force their QB either out of the pocket or the check down throw to the RB which it seemed to have a LB there to make a play nearly every time. In the second 1/2 their only success in passing was the occasional deep ball and the long drag route over the middle which one ended up being a TD. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barkchevious said:

Someone mentioned in the game thread last night that they were emotionally invested in the game for the first time in a while.  Exactly how I felt.  Heart was racing up and down, pulling for our Tigers hard on every snap.  I know we aren’t in the moral victory business but damn that was fun watching the game last night.  We are Auburn and we’ll get the right guy in place and we’ll be back sooner rather than later. 
WAR DAMN EAGLE

I haven’t jumped off the coach clapping and yelling  and scaring the dogs like that years. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I haven’t jumped off the coach clapping and yelling  and scaring the dogs like that years. 

Same. I woke my youngest up when Tank hit the go ahead 41 yarder, and she was upstairs on the opposite corner of the house 😂😂

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, au302 said:

I feel like We finally started using the weakness of our O-line to some sort of advantage with the designed QB runs and toss sweeps. Our guys up front are good for making the rushers have to change direction, not actually stopping them. Got them off balance and ran around them. ✌ 💨 

Edited by banditmwp
  • Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Tough loss, But
2 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

We had a ton of press coverage and was able to disrupt the routes long enough for the DL to force their QB either out of the pocket or the check down throw to the RB which it seemed to have a LB there to make a play nearly every time. In the second 1/2 their only success in passing was the occasional deep ball and the long drag route over the middle which one ended up being a TD. 

This makes sense. Usually I'm so used to seeing Will Rogers get the ball out lightning quick and carve you up methodically. It did seem like he wasn't finding guys and having to resort to what you said, or just hold the ball long and take a sack

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

This makes sense. Usually I'm so used to seeing Will Rogers get the ball out lightning quick and carve you up methodically. It did seem like he wasn't finding guys and having to resort to what you said, or just hold the ball long and take a sack

In coverage that’s the best out secondary has played all year. Seemed to be more line up and play with less thinking

• Like 2

1 hour ago, banditmwp said:

I feel like We finally started using the weakness of our O-line to some sort of advantage with the designed QB runs and toss sweeps. Our guys up front are good for making the rushers have to change direction, not actually stopping them. Got them off balance and ran around them. ✌ 💨 

Was a lot of guards pulling and getting out into space

3 hours ago, au302 said:

The DL got tremendous push by rotating more players and keeping them fresh.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, placekicker said:

We had a more talented team last year, and MSU blew us out on our home field. This team, while less talented, gave it all they had and never quit. Coaching made the difference. 

I agree. On Robbie’s first TD run I remember the TV caught CCW on sideline smiling like he knew something. The “full student body right” and most our guys did their job blocking and setting him free.

We fought. It was ugly but there were glimpses of where we looked like Auburn. Defense for a good part of the night looked like an Auburn D. The offense had glimpses of old school hard nose Auburn play. Long way to go, got to recruit but if we had the Jimmy’s and Joes and fought like we did last night I’d be happy. We would look like Auburn.

1 hour ago, au701948 said:

I agree. On Robbie’s first TD run I remember the TV caught CCW on sideline smiling like he knew something. The “full student body right” and most our guys did their job blocking and setting him free.

I noticed that to. I was like, why is he smiling? Someone say something funny? Does he have a good play set up and think we going to score? Snap ball, then TD.