Coach Caddy's Job Interview Last Night

gr82be

My thoughts and hope is that whoever the next HC is that they will retain CCW and make him a CIW or AHC and allow him to continue to evolve into the HC when the next coach ultimately moves on. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

i think caddy knocked it out of the park.they found out monday close to noon harsin was gone and coaches needed to step up. three days to re imagine everything you have been taught for the most part made this almost impossible to me. he handled it very well and i believe he got everything out of those players that he could. i mean they played hard for him when all looked lost and he needed players to step up they answered. if we got the right staff behind him i would have no problems with him as a head coach. is he green? yes. he looked it but it was just nerves wanting to do well for the uni that has given him so much. i believe in my heart he can get it done but my fear is he might not be retained with the new staff.

• Like 4

Yes, I agree with these assessments. I really hope that Deion gets this job and knowing what Caddy means to the school and his leadership gives him the Associate Head Coach position. Deion would definitely not feel threatened by that.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Just now, AUfan3333 said:

Yes, I agree with these assessments. I really hope that Deion gets this job and knowing what Caddy means to the school and his leadership gives him the Associate Head Coach position. Deion would definitely not feel threatened by that.

I could definitely get on board with that. Good grief at the recruiting prowess a staff led by Deion and Carnell would have...

• Like 8

If players really know you love them they will play hard for you. he can recruit. he would save us a ton of money tho i would hope he had enough incentives in his contract to make up for it. but the man loves auburn. yesterday was a special day. he earned a ton of respect yesterday. and he would not be running to another school if offered a better deal down the road because of his love for the school. now i know it is probably not going to happen but everyone has their favorites. i will get behind the next coach and support him unless it turns into a clown show like with coach hars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

I could definitely get on board with that. Good grief at the recruiting prowess a staff led by Deion and Carnell would have...

Amen to that. Saturday’s would be exciting again!!!

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

If players really know you love them they will play hard for you. he can recruit. he would save us a ton of money tho i would hope he had enough incentives in his contract to make up for it. but the man loves auburn. yesterday was a special day. he earned a ton of respect yesterday. and he would not be running to another school if offered a better deal down the road because of his love for the school. now i know it is probably not going to happen but everyone has their favorites. i will get behind the next coach and support him unless it turns into a clown show like with coach hars.

I'll be honest, I'll be disappointed (to say the least) if Carnell is not retained. From all reports, he's a good coach; he played, and played well, at the highest level, so he's got instant clout with players; he's young and energetic; and there is absolutely no question of his love for Auburn University. The ONLY reason I'm not completely sold on him being the head coach yet is that I don't want him to be rushed into such a position before he's ready, which is why him as AHC makes so much sense. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I would rather we get a good, seasoned coach, who will see the leadership in Caddy and mentor him.  I’m concerned a new coach would see him as a threat.  

I would not want a coach that see’s him that way. That’s an insecurity I don’t like. 

I hurt for him that they didn't get the win last night. The way the game started it looked pretty disastrous, but they went to the half MADE ADJUSTMENTS (who ever heard such a thing) and came out and just about won the game.

I love Auburn, I love Caddy, and I love be how much he loves Auburn. Losing sucks but I'm so happy he got this opportunity and I also hope he gets to continue to grow with Auburn, whoever the next coach is.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Carnell Williams had an interview last night that was aired live on national TV. As with many of us during job interviews, it started a little awkward and he looked a little lost but you could see his energy and enthusiasm right away. As the interview progressed he started to settle in a bit. Then at the midway point he was asked a question that he seemed caught off guard with but he just spoke from the heart. He said that no one was quitting. I believed him at that point and from that point forward he had people's attention. There was no quit, no finger pointing, no slumped shoulders and no drooped heads. He started really impressing us and his enthusiasm and excitement was contagious. His leadership qualities began to really stand out and his team responded. At the end he was given an opportunity to assess the results and he gave others credit for the successes and he took the blame for the shortcomings. That's how a true leader leads. 

Carnell Williams was interviewing on a live stage last night and he was interviewing for potential jobs all over the country. He may not be quite ready to assume HC duties at this moment at Auburn or anywhere else but he made such an impression that many teams looking to fill an opening might consider his potential at one of their "smaller" schools if Auburn's new leadership passes on him. I think that would be a mistake for Auburn but Cadillac will make someone a very good coach and sooner than later he should get the chance. He nailed his interview. Auburn doesn't need to lose him but sometimes people have to have a little distance between them to grow closer. Caddy is going to be a good one at some point. I hope he gets a chance to continue to grow at Auburn. 

That’s just a fraction of the interview. 3 more games to go not to mention recruiting and retaining players. He’s swamped with duties..

51 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Carnell Williams had an interview last night that was aired live on national TV. As with many of us during job interviews, it started a little awkward and he looked a little lost but you could see his energy and enthusiasm right away. As the interview progressed he started to settle in a bit. Then at the midway point he was asked a question that he seemed caught off guard with but he just spoke from the heart. He said that no one was quitting. I believed him at that point and from that point forward he had people's attention. There was no quit, no finger pointing, no slumped shoulders and no drooped heads. He started really impressing us and his enthusiasm and excitement was contagious. His leadership qualities began to really stand out and his team responded. At the end he was given an opportunity to assess the results and he gave others credit for the successes and he took the blame for the shortcomings. That's how a true leader leads. 

Carnell Williams was interviewing on a live stage last night and he was interviewing for potential jobs all over the country. He may not be quite ready to assume HC duties at this moment at Auburn or anywhere else but he made such an impression that many teams looking to fill an opening might consider his potential at one of their "smaller" schools if Auburn's new leadership passes on him. I think that would be a mistake for Auburn but Cadillac will make someone a very good coach and sooner than later he should get the chance. He nailed his interview. Auburn doesn't need to lose him but sometimes people have to have a little distance between them to grow closer. Caddy is going to be a good one at some point. I hope he gets a chance to continue to grow at Auburn. 

I could see a Hugh Freeze keeping Carnell as RB coach.  

• Like 1

Love Caddy but if he was retained as HC I would be worried about him building a staff. Some coordinators would have egos and not want to coach under a guy with basically no HC experience. 

I don’t doubt his recruiting and passion but we have to win ball games and you need great coordinators. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i think caddy knocked it out of the park.they found out monday close to noon harsin was gone and coaches needed to step up. three days to re imagine everything you have been taught for the most part made this almost impossible to me. he handled it very well and i believe he got everything out of those players that he could. i mean they played hard for him when all looked lost and he needed players to step up they answered. if we got the right staff behind him i would have no problems with him as a head coach. is he green? yes. he looked it but it was just nerves wanting to do well for the uni that has given him so much. i believe in my heart he can get it done but my fear is he might not be retained with the new staff.

Schmedding had our Defense playing like it was the Uat game.  Everyone on that staff including Will Friend bought in.  Etheridge hurt himself trying to get a time out.  We had a bunch of former SEC players fighting.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Auburn93 said:

Schmedding had our Defense playing like it was the Uat game.  Everyone on that staff including Will Friend bought in.  Etheridge hurt himself trying to get a time out.  We had a bunch of former SEC players fighting.  

you lost me a fightint? not sure what you are talking about. i must have missed something?

Some of my best Auburn memories involve him as a player and watching him coach last night will join them. The obvious love and pride he had in his players and in Auburn was obvious. We had NO BUSINESS being in that game, yet his enthusiasm almost pushed those players to pull it out. 

Carnell still has some learning to do, but last night was valuable to him, I’m sure. He learned he could coach the way he played the game: with passion and heart. The players love him and I expect us to give A&M all they want next week. Jordan Hare will be ready to show their appreciation, I know.

Edited by aucom96
  • Like 5

I really like Caddy, as a RB coach and recruiter.  He did better last night than I was willing to give him credit for in the first half.  I was wrong.  He did a good job.

The team started slow, but caught fire and played with purpose.  Credit to Caddy.

Our main problems last night were two things:

- Caddy going for it on 4th-and-one from our own 26 down 10-0 on the road in the SEC.  That was a terrible decision that gave 7 easy points to Moo State.  Terrible decision.  Probably the main reason we lost the game.

- Robby Ashford missing pass after pass, as Stan White pointed out on Auburn radio.  Not only did Ashford miss many of the open receivers he targeted, but he failed to see 4-5 wide open pass plays down field that would have resulted in huge plays for us.

Stan White was incredulous that he failed to see those wide open opportunities for big plays.  The opportunities were there, but it appeared Ashford was locked into certain receivers and missed those opportunities.

Obviously, Ashford is not a potential top SEC QB.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Let's say Auburn plays competitively the rest of the way (except maybe Bama). If they stay bought in and let's say win against aTm and WKY, could Caddy get a legit shot at being HC? Honestly, I think I could get behind hiring him depending on how the rest of this interview goes. I have zero faith that the coaching search will lead to a home run hire anyway. Additionally, doesn't AU still pay Malzahn like $2.5M a year through around 2024? Now they are paying Harsin through 2026? It's like $4.5M a year for two coaches not to coach at AU. 

If Caddy does well the rest of the year, I say give him a contract, save some money, and if it doesn't work out, go for the home run (which I don't really think exists right now anyway).

• Like 2