Coach Caddy's Job Interview Last Night

gr82be

Caddy might not be ready.  Probably isn't ready.  But no one on this board saying that Caddy isn't ready saw Jimbo being 3-6 and having the worst losing streak at A&M for the past 42 years or saw Cristobal coach the worst home loss EVER in the history of Hurricane football.   The point is what are the exact ingredients that makes for a successful HC?  CPD coached at Wyoming and East Carolina.   Is that what set him up for success?   Pat was successful because of his intense, non-stop work effort.   Pat was successful because he made our kids believe in themselves, and he motivated them.   Pat was successful because he had this way about him that made you not want to disappoint him.   Pat was successful because he came from a humble background and was able to relate to kids who were similar to him.  Pat was successful because he knew exactly what to say and when to say it.   Pat was successful because he had a great disdain for failure.    When in the recent past have we looked better after halftime?  When in the recent past have we seen true emotion during the game and after a loss?   This man had a depleted staff and 3 days to install a game plan for an SEC road game.   This team had every reason to quit after the first half.   They didn't.   They rose up.  Someone said he needed more experience with X's and O's.   The man spent 8 years playing as a professional.    4 years playing in the SEC.     I suspect his X's and O's are more sound than our past 4 HCs.   Someone apparently said he isn't a great orator.   Go get 8 hours of sleep in a week, coach an overtime loss on the road and give your first ever presser.   That man was talking to the kids in that loser's locker room.   I thought what he said and how he said it was well above average.   He didn't utter a single Awwwight.   And, Meta your take that it is idiocy to even consider him....   Leaders aren't made.   Leaders are born.   The fact that one of the first things Caddy said is we had 8 men saved Friday night so we can't lose on Saturday.   This man is a leader of men.   He may not be our next coach, but people who think he should be considered are not idiots.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Coach Caddy is doing exactly what he needs to be doing for Auburn. A great service for these young men and the fan base. I don't know who determined which coaches were to be terminated and who to keep, but they did a great job. Maybe the players voted who knows?  CCW deserves a very large part of the credit for the vast improvement. I know I'll get blasted but I think CWF and CJS also did an admirable job last night. I for one am glad they were retained for these last 4 games. They are professionals and appeared to be all in, at the same time knowing full well they will be terminated at the end of the season. If the good guys can somehow pull off two wins I think it would get CCW some looks for a lower tier HC gig, if he is not retained by the next coach. Hope he stays at Auburn but we'll just have to wait and see how that goes. Most coaches now want their guys and sometimes they think a holdover might be a threat. But they don't know our Caddy. It's all about love for Auburn not ego for himself..

I am just getting on here today...slept in good and long lol.

As I anticipated...lots of emotional responses here this morning. Look, I was amazed at what Caddy did the 2nd half with keeping the team locked and energized and almost getting us the wins. He never quit and the team fed off of him. He ad 3 days to put a plan in place and yes there was some definite slop. He made several game decisions that I didn't agree with that cost us. He also made some that kept us in the game and gave us a shot. All in all, it was fun watching that game which is something I can't say I have felt since IB last year. 

I say all that to say this. In NO way should Caddy be hired for our HC. There is a looooong list of reasons why and I fear people are letting their love for Caddy blind them from these reasons. Even if he were to win out (which we are not), I still don't think he should get the job. This is the most important hire of AU football modern history and people think that a RB coach with no other experience is the best option because we loved him as a player and he loves AU?  Yes, Caddy has brought us some good talent at the RB position in his time hear, but he is ready to go up against Saban, Kirby, Kelly, Jimbo, etc as a HC recruiting in this league?  Is he ready to coach against those guys in this league? So he hires a great proven SEC OC and DC. Who is to say that they aren't undermining him the whole time because of his greenness. 

I love Caddy all the way to my core and LOVED watching him coach last night, but I do not think we need to even seriously entertain the idea of him taking over. MEanwhile, I will be 100% rooting for him to win and will enjoy the hell out of watching our team fight for him. War Eagle Caddy!

Disclaimer- I may be saying the same thing before end of season due to my love for the man, I only hope my logic will prevail over my emotion in that time. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I disagree. At least its sentimental thinking. He’d get us back to the mid tier (assuming he’d have great coordinators with the $ we’d save) just as effectively as many of the other names going around.  With no buy out and no rap sheet. Grimes, freeze, ect all are all better resume versions of the same thing. All below the radar, AU only candidates. Effective coaches that will improve us but will get squashed in the 5* arms race going on around us.   If we really want to go recruiting elite - it’s the big 2. Otherwise it’s not nuts to just save some money and have a mid tier feel good story.

You think a guy who is 4 years removed from coaching in HS and has zero coaching pedigree (he has coached under the s***-show that was end-game Gus Malzahn and Bryan Harsin - two real dynamos) is a LOCK to get us back to "mid tier"? My guy, if Auburn didn't call him, it's not even a lock that Carnell is even coaching anywhere in the SEC today.

This is the ****ing SEC.  You think it's THAT easy? He just loves Auburn so much and waves a towel real good, and we're good for mid-tier status in this conference?

He coaches RB's. Literally the least involved position group. What is his X's and O's background? Do you understand how much PLANNING it takes to be a HC at this level? No, it's not just "wave a towel and hire good coordinators and let's roll"! If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. It's actually incredibly difficult. That's why good coaches come here and fail every single year.

By the way, ALL of these SEC teams have their own equivalent to Carnell Williams. How many of them in 2022 are pulling a guy with zero experience to lead a hundred+ million dollar behemoth because he "loves the school" and was an instrumental player 20 years ago? What, it's such a brilliant idea at Auburn, but it wouldn't work elsewhere? 

This is an idiotic idea for about 100 different reasons. By the way, even if they "miss" on the 3-4 names that everyone is cemented on, there are about 25+ others that would get hired before Carnell Williams. It's that stupid an idea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

As I anticipated...lots of emotional responses here this morning. Look, I was amazed at what Caddy did the 2nd half with keeping the team locked and energized and almost getting us the wins. He never quit and the team fed off of him. He ad 3 days to put a plan in place and yes there was some definite slop. He made several game decisions that I didn't agree with that cost us. He also made some that kept us in the game and gave us a shot. All in all, it was fun watching that game which is something I can't say I have felt since IB last year. 

I say all that to say this. In NO way should Caddy be hired for our HC. There is a looooong list of reasons why and I fear people are letting their love for Caddy blind them from these reasons. Even if he were to win out (which we are not), I still don't think he should get the job. This is the most important hire of AU football modern history and people think that a RB coach with no other experience is the best option because we loved him as a player and he loves AU?  Yes, Caddy has brought us some good talent at the RB position in his time hear, but he is ready to go up against Saban, Kirby, Kelly, Jimbo, etc as a HC recruiting in this league?  Is he ready to coach against those guys in this league? So he hires a great proven SEC OC and DC. Who is to say that they aren't undermining him the whole time because of his greenness. 

I love Caddy all the way to my core and LOVED watching him coach last night, but I do not think we need to even seriously entertain the idea of him taking over. MEanwhile, I will be 100% rooting for him to win and will enjoy the hell out of watching our team fight for him. War Eagle Caddy!

Disclaimer- I may be saying the same thing before end of season due to my love for the man, I only hope my logic will prevail over my emotion in that time. 

I don't think he's as green as you think he is......

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I don't think he's as green as you think he is......

Dear lord.

4 years as a RB coach at his alma-mater. Nobody else called or tried to hire him before we did.

Before that he was coaching RB's in HS and for the Birmingham Iron. Was he at least a HC in HS? Nope. 

This is the absolute definition of zero experience. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The sad thing is all of the I love you had to put in here. Spot on post, but the reality is love has nothing to do with it . Or at least shouldn’t have to be said but I get why you have to preference this because all of the emotional people right now . 

It is not logical at this juncture for caddy to be the permanent football coach of Auburn. Yesterday was pure emotion and grit. It was good to see. That is not going to be enduring. Quite frankly , it wouldn’t have mattered if we loss by 100 , loss by one or won the game , majority of the fans were just happy to see an “Auburn man” coach the team. That also is not a realistic or sustainable way to go about this. Quite frankly, it was to the point where Caddy was above criticism.

Yes I know it was his first game, yes I think we did a good job making adjustments and responding to adversity . However, you cannot just give up points with this team. You got to take your field goal when you can get it. You can’t go for two when you don’t have to. You shouldn’t be going for it super early on your own 20 when the other team is average 9 yards per play. 4 points makes a huge difference in whether Miss state needs a field goal vs a touchdown to win the game. 

All that being said, I am grateful he is getting this opportunity. I am hopeful he learns from it tremendously. This is an invaluable experience . With that being said 

No, the next coach shouldn’t have to not be recommended to hire or interview him. 

Yes, everyone in this staff should have to go through the same process of being hired

Yes, the next coach should have absolute autonomy in who they bring in.

Fans whine about the PTB having too much of a reach but then they want to turn around and do the same thing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Program was at such a low people are desperate and latching on to any feel good story.  Caddy has is place in our recovery and if we want to achieve championships we’ll move on from him in a few weeks. Hopefully the next coach will keep him on, but it shouldn’t be a prerequisite.  Cadillac will be fine either way.

• Like 2

I love Caddy. We all do. He's an icon, the epitome of a true Auburn man. But I don't think he is the man to bring us back to national prominence. I want to get there ASAP. I'm not getting any younger. We just can't make another mistake, it's critical that we (or at least the PTB) think with our brains and not just with our hearts and emotions. The heart is probably OK for the next three weeks in order to recover our spirits. These guys are fun and inspiring to watch right now whether we win or not.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, metafour said:

You think a guy who is 4 years removed from coaching in HS and has zero coaching pedigree (he has coached under the s***-show that was end-game Gus Malzahn and Bryan Harsin - two real dynamos) is a LOCK to get us back to "mid tier"? My guy, if Auburn didn't call him, it's not even a lock that Carnell is even coaching anywhere in the SEC today.

This is the ****ing SEC.  You think it's THAT easy? He just loves Auburn so much and waves a towel real good, and we're good for mid-tier status in this conference?

He coaches RB's. Literally the least involved position group. What is his X's and O's background? Do you understand how much PLANNING it takes to be a HC at this level? No, it's not just "wave a towel and hire good coordinators and let's roll"! If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. It's actually incredibly difficult. That's why good coaches come here and fail every single year.

By the way, ALL of these SEC teams have their own equivalent to Carnell Williams. How many of them in 2022 are pulling a guy with zero experience to lead a hundred+ million dollar behemoth because he "loves the school" and was an instrumental player 20 years ago? What, it's such a brilliant idea at Auburn, but it wouldn't work elsewhere? 

This is an idiotic idea for about 100 different reasons. By the way, even if they "miss" on the 3-4 names that everyone is cemented on, there are about 25+ others that would get hired before Carnell Williams. It's that stupid an idea.

Ah, so you’re the smart one. Ok. I agree  of course caddy’s not qualified. Nor rhett or ect ect. That’s not the point. We suck so anyone is better. Freeze has exactly the same background and skill set as gus - high school scheme guy that can sneak up on teams. They’re clones. 20 years ago and today (though freeze has the bad girl thing going for him). Grimes is an accomplished coordinator but not a big name and would have to grind it out. Same with every name, it’s arguing about levels of average. Except Kiffin and sanders. They’re the consensus path to 1-2 yr elite recruiting and challenging uga.

So if we choose not to go splash and be able to recruit top 5 classes  - that means we’ll be an improving mid tier, and occasionally upset the elites kind of team again. If that’s the goal - let’s at least say it, save some money, hire an elite staff, and actually like the coaches. You can rant away - but this is a waters wet kind of moment.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, metafour said:

Dear lord.

4 years as a RB coach at his alma-mater. Nobody else called or tried to hire him before we did.

Before that he was coaching RB's in HS and for the Birmingham Iron. Was he at least a HC in HS? Nope. 

This is the absolute definition of zero experience. 

Meta, before WWI, George S. Patton had less than 11 months of combat experience if you consider the Punitive Expedition combat.  Otherwise, he truly had ZERO combat experience. He turned out to be pretty good at combat in WWI.   Dabo had zero experience as a HC and was one of the ones fired on the Dumbo Bama staff.  He was a WR coach before getting g the interim job at Clemmy.  Clemson is pretty happy they took a chance.   Again, I'm not saying Caddy is the right answer but it is not idiocy to consider him particularly if we play well against A&M and Bama.    Great head coaches don't have it stamped on their forehead. 

Caddy won’t be the coach. Shouldn’t be either. 

That said, part of being a fan(fanatic) is being emotional. Folks on here who ARE emotional about him being on that sideline shouldn’t be criticized. Its been a rough couple of years. They need something positive to cling to. 

There are fans who understand why Caddy shouldn’t be HC and there are those who don’t. None of those fans will be making the decision. 

No need to be a di$# to those who are dreaming of a Cadillac administration at Auburn.  Let em dream 🤷‍♂️

He gave us all a spark in the MSU game and I think it will transfer to the remaining games - but he is not ready to be a head coach now - especially at Auburn as we (the fan base) can be very hard.  

He needs to leave Auburn and take another coach position to learn at the next level under the leadership of a head coach that would help him.  The OC position is the natural position he should be eyeing.  A few years of this may get him ready to take the next stop as a HC.  If he stays at Auburn under a different HC its difficult to see him being named the OC with no experience.  It would not be fair to him to keep him as the RB coach for his recruiting talents either. 

Lets hope he leaves to grow because he might comeback one day ready to be the HC..

Edited by 81spacetiger

It really depends on the style of HC you want. Do you want the hotshot former OC's (Gus, Hars), defensive minded guys (Tubs, Chiz), or a third category... CEO/Culture HC (Ed O, Dabo, Pittman)

Let's use Ed O for example. The dude is not an X's and O's genius at any level. In fact, he probably shouldn't even be a HS DC. But he succeeded for 3 main reasons imo:

1. Surrounded by fantastic coordinators and stayed out their way (Brady and Aranda) to totally run their respective sides of the ball. 

2. Pumped the team up (Culture). He would do all sorts of crazy stuff like slap himself in the face in the tunnel. He looked like a maniac clown at times, but he was willing to embarrass himself to help motivate the team

3. Manage the game. This is the hardest part for a culture coach imo. It's hard for anyone.

I think right now, Caddy could fit the CEO role. And don't take this the wrong way. It's not like an Ed O situation where he's football stupid. He's not.

He just doesn't have OC experience yet, which is fine, but he'd probably need to go the CEO route unless he wants to go OC in the G5 and develop his own offense

• Like 1

I’m going to agree that Cadillac is not ready to be a head coach.  I really want to say this, though.  The energy he brought to the team and the guts that he coached with had me excited and ready to suit up and play myself.  It was so much better than trying to watch Herman Muenster, I mean Bryan Harsin, operate over there.  

Coach Williams is definitely true blue Auburn to the core, and has been from the day he stepped on campus in 2001.  I truly believe our Tigers will win these next two games, and I really believe with the improvement will roll in to Tuscaloosa and put up a fight that we will all be proud of.  I think it’s a tall order to ask for a win there, but I think they will stare the Tide eye to eye and not fear them because their head coach will exhibit the same characteristics.  I hope he gets to stay on staff with the next coach.

7 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I really like Caddy, as a RB coach and recruiter.  He did better last night than I was willing to give him credit for in the first half.  I was wrong.  He did a good job.

The team started slow, but caught fire and played with purpose.  Credit to Caddy.

Our main problems last night were two things:

- Caddy going for it on 4th-and-one from our own 26 down 10-0 on the road in the SEC.  That was a terrible decision that gave 7 easy points to Moo State.  Terrible decision.  Probably the main reason we lost the game.

- Robby Ashford missing pass after pass, as Stan White pointed out on Auburn radio.  Not only did Ashford miss many of the open receivers he targeted, but he failed to see 4-5 wide open pass plays down field that would have resulted in huge plays for us.

Stan White was incredulous that he failed to see those wide open opportunities for big plays.  The opportunities were there, but it appeared Ashford was locked into certain receivers and missed those opportunities.

Obviously, Ashford is not a potential top SEC QB.

I agree with what you said about the 4th and 1call. Not sure it cost us the game, as if you punted (correct call) likely would have scored anyway. It wasn’t until later that MSU offense started shooting themselves in the foot. I would also add many on here wanted to fire Harsin last year and this year basis those “poor” coaching decisions. I would also add TE totally owns the failure of that 4th down play. If he just keeps the defensive player from reaching all the way around him, no way he makes that tackle. It’s like he didn’t know the play was coming his way.

I don’t agree with your summation on RA’s potential. Bo looked a great deal like this in his 1st year. He got freshman of the year mostly on his scrambling ability. But you are correct that he has to get better quickly at his throwing capability. He is starting now only because there isn’t another option, but I am hoping that changes dramatically.

Edited by Hank2020

Caddy said, “We are about to play some good, hard-nosed Auburn football.” That’s literally all I ask for from our team. Go out there and beat the other team to death even if we lose the game. Make the other team feel it for the next freaking month.  

I believe the discussion of Cadillac as HC is crazy. We are letting our Orange and Blue colored glasses effect our common sense. We went from “back up the Brinks truck to get the most well known huge name” to lets hire the least prepared to be an SEC HC because he is willing to finish out the season mostly bc AU has asked him to. Great individual, but the only thing we know is he was a great RB himself and he has been successful at getting some good ones to AU. He has not even been in a position that allows us to evaluate his coaching abilities.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Meta, before WWI, George S. Patton had less than 11 months of combat experience if you consider the Punitive Expedition combat.  Otherwise, he truly had ZERO combat experience. He turned out to be pretty good at combat in WWI.   

I am sorry, that is just a very poor example, and just not correct.  He was a killer, yes, and ahead of his time in WWII, but he was getting dirty in the Mexican Expedition with Pershing (literally with the front-line guys in their drive to flush out Pancho Villa) and also had field command as a Lt on the Western Front. Yep, he was a cowboy, and an arrogant SOB. 

Plus, he had 22 years to train and prepare to lead armies. Let me repeat that: 22 years as a Colonel, and not a General, training men and himself.  Pretty much like an OC/DC.

Patton's time in the sun was 25 years in the making.  Let's not forget the boneheaded crap he pulled in Sicily because he was arrogant and vainglorious. that really put a damper on his legacy.  The Cobra Campaign and his drive through France is legendary.

All I'll say, is caddy's post game presser, if I was one of those players I'd run through walls for that guy, was good to see some teachable moments last night and caddy embracing his guys. Regardless, I think caddy has handled this excellently and damn, it's nice to have a little life back in the program 

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 1

Caddy is not ready to be HC at Auburn. The interim role is just really valuable experience for him for the future. He is the right man for Auburn, right now, and I hope the new coach will keep him at Auburn. If he doesn't get to stay on then I think he did a great job selling himself last night for other schools, but not as head coach. Auburn must nail this hire and Caddy isn't that hire at this time. I'm thinking he would say that too. His love for Auburn isn't blind love. 

• Like 1