Jordan-Hare Ideas

RunInRed

Given Cohen, I was paying closer attention than I normally would to Davis Wade and noticed something last night I hadn’t seen before …

A963A5CE-40B7-4E4A-B213-ECC606D886AC.jpeg

Not sure what to really think about them.  But I do applaud the creativity in solving for what was probably empty bleachers (corners of upper decks) and converting this into a type of ‘premium’ space.

They were pre-fabricated and lifted in place in about a week this summer.  It’s at least thinking outside the box …

https://hailstate.com/news/2022/6/21/football-introducing-the-balconies-at-davis-wade-stadium-coleman.aspx

• Like 1

A lot of Nascar tracks have taken out every other row of seats and added tables.  If and when JHS starts selling beer I'd love to see a party deck or something of that nature in the North Endzone.  Standing room only area where the casual fans could chill and watch the game.  My friends usually get the cheapest tickets we can find and stand on the ramp.  We'd just hang out there and drink beers all day if it existed.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

i want to see them bring back the old plastic sound horns they had when i was a kid that used to drive folks crazy. i think they got banned or maybe just quit using them. grins

If we were to do something that caused us to lose a few seats, I'd much prefer it be adding permanent seat backs to every seat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Low hanging fruit, but if we need pictures on the outside of the stadium can they at least look respectable? The current ones have faded and look half assed, a common theme with a stadium that has a hideous  planet sized scoreboard, a recruiting lounge bolted on because we couldnt afford a real renovation and a press box that reporters cant see the game from. We are light years behind in stadium improvements.

• Like 4

It is different, but you would have to allow the fans to bring in stuff to do the tailgating up there I should think.  You could make them premium (wider and better padding) seating and that might help... but we are cheap and the administration is in the business of generating revenue, so we're going to pack as many fans in as we get.

8 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Given Cohen, I was paying closer attention than I normally would to Davis Wade and noticed something last night I hadn’t seen before …

Not sure what to really think about them.  But I do applaud the creativity in solving for what was probably empty bleachers (corners of upper decks) and converting this into a type of ‘premium’ space.

They were pre-fabricated and lifted in place in about a week this summer.  It’s at least thinking outside the box …

https://hailstate.com/news/2022/6/21/football-introducing-the-balconies-at-davis-wade-stadium-coleman.aspx

Honestly, too many ledges in that design for some of our fellow fans. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Do you remember the proposed renovation for the N endzone oppo the Jumbotron back several years ago? 

I still feel pretty passionate about the lack of personal seating space.  This is the main reason I gave up my section 8 seats.  I had no leg room nor elbow room.  We have to commit to improving the fan experience first.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Taker said:

Benedict left, and the folks who mattered didn’t trust Jacobs to be able to execute.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 10:24 AM, RunInRed said:

No, actually I don't like that look. But as long as we're dreaming, I've never liked how we put the visiting fans all bunched together in the NE upper deck. It's the worst seating area in the stadium and deserving of some of our lower-paying regular home fans. Instead, I'd spread-out our visiting fans so they would have less impact and pay higher prices. #WDE

• 1 year later...

John Cohen: North videoboard is 'priority number one' in Jordan-Hare Stadium

Auburn AD John Cohen spoke extensively Thursday about the need for an upgrade on the north side of Jordan-Hare Stadium

Nathan King36 mins

A much-needed facelift for Auburn's north end zone has been a hot topic for the athletic department for years. But it sounds like the concept is becoming closer to materializing, as John Cohen enters his second year as athletic director.

Cohen spoke extensively Thursday about the need for an upgrade on the north side of Jordan-Hare Stadium, including a new videoboard being "priority number one."

"We've had a lot of discussions about this," Cohen said on Tiger Talk, Auburn's in-house radio program. "We're working hard behind the scenes to create a plan. When does it happen? How long does it take once you start? ... We're putting all that together right now. These things don't happen overnight. ... We've got to address some things in the north end zone, and I'm very excited to have the opportunity to do that."

In 2017, Auburn's board of trustees approved a $6.3 million videoboard for Jordan-Hare Stadium's north end zone, which is the lowest of the four sides of the stadium and sits opposite a recently expanded south end zone and the jumbotron. But it was removed from the agenda and ultimately the university’s list of upcoming projects two months later by former Auburn president Steven Leath.

Back in 2015, the board proposed renovations to the north end zone, estimated at $145 million. The athletic department spent $100,000 on the planning process before former athletic director Jay Jacobs put the project “on hold” in 2016.

The previous football season was when Auburn unveiled what was then the largest video board in the country in the south end zone, valued at $13.9 million.

Speaking of Auburn's state-of-the-art jumbotron, Cohen said he's tired of watching Auburn students, who sit beneath it or just beside it in the student section, have to twist their necks around the entire game. If Auburn is going to make the efforts it does on video content for gamedays, fans sitting in the south should be able to look across the way and watch it on another large screen, Cohen thinks.

"We've got to do better than that," Cohen said of students being unable to easily see a videoboard in their home stadium. "We have to. We're going to do that. We're going to design a state-of-the-art videoboard in the north end zone that's going to fit in with several premium areas of the north end zone."

Auburn had several architects and engineers accompany Cohen and his staffers to Arkansas last weekend, where they were able to tour DWR Razorback Stadium and jot down some ideas. Cohen said Auburn also has plans to check out Notre Dame's north end zone and Florida State's south end zone in the offseason.

"We're going to really observe this, we're going to make really good decisions, and we're going to move Auburn forward," Cohen said.

Jordan-Hare Stadium's most recent major renovation came ahead of the 2018 season, when the new recruiting center was opened outside the south end zone, along with the David E. Housel Press Box, the team’s locker room was expanded, and two additional levels of club space amenities and lounge spaces were added.

This season, thanks to the addition of some premium seating, Jordan-Hare Stadium's capacity was increased from 87,451 to 88,043.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2022 at 6:41 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

Honestly, too many ledges in that design for some of our fellow fans. 

You see a problem, I see a solution. 

• Haha 7

The north endzone needs to either go corner video boards or build seating, suites, etc around a large board. Don’t just do a 1 for 1 replacement of the scoreboard for a video board. That would look terrible.

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The north endzone needs to either go corner video boards or build seating, suites, etc around a large board. Don’t just do a 1 for 1 replacement of the scoreboard for a video board. That would look terrible.

100%. Corner video board would look cool. Love the idea of doing seats and suites around a large board.

The Braves really started something with the Chop House at Turner Field 25 years ago (they probably weren't the first but w/e every stadium since has something like that) and JHS could use a standing room only suite area like that that's NOT on the field. I love how condensed the field is at JHS and the small brick walls and no walkways.

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

They take our bowl game.

Sucks, but okay...

They take our coach.

Cool, thanks!...

They take our Lazy river?!? 

DAMN YOU, UCF!!! 

angry-mad.gif

• Haha 4