Hate in America is on the rise. It's making it more dangerous for everyone from politicians to librarians to do their jobs.

aubiefifty

Hate in America is on the rise. It's making it more dangerous for everyone from politicians to librarians to do their jobs.

Marguerite Ward
6-7 minutes

Members of the right-wing group, the Patriot Front, as they prepare to march with anti-abortion activists during the 49th annual March for Life along Constitution Ave. on Friday, Jan. 21, 2022 in Washington, DC.

The FBI and other federal agencies recently warned other security agencies of the potential of violence on or following America's midterm elections, according to documents obtained by NPR.Kent Nishimura / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images

• Hate-motivated incidents in 37 US cities increased in 2021 and appear to be trending upward.

• Politicians, poll workers, and even librarians report growing harassment, threats, and attacks.

• The midterm elections and the 2024 presidential race could make the situation worse.

For Richard Ringer, a Democrat running for a seat in the Pennsylvania Statehouse, the rising tide of hate in America made it to his doorstep.

On Monday morning, Ringer said, he heard someone enter his garage. He said he sneaked up on the man, whom he didn't know, and lunged at him. During the scuffle, the intruder punched Ringer in the head about 10 times, knocking him out, Ringer said. After regaining consciousness, Ringer called the police, according to news reports.

It was the third time in two weeks Ringer had to call the police, he said. Once was after someone vandalized his garage door; the other time was after someone threw a brick through the window of his door, Ringer said. The incidents, which Ringer said he believed were related to his political work, have left him unsettled about the state of America.

"I'm scared for this country," Ringer told Insider. "I'm worried as hell."

Richard Ringer was attacked at his home, he told Insider.

Richard Ringer, a Democratic candidate seeking as seat in the Pennsylvania Statehouse, told Insider he was attacked by a male intruder.Images via Richard Ringer

The ordeals Ringer described, while shocking, aren't a total surprise. From abortion clinics to polling places to libraries, threats of violence appear to be growing. And it's likely to get worse as the US heads toward what's sure to be a divisive race for the White House in 2024.

Animus among Americans seems to be everywhere: A man attacked Nancy Pelosi's husband, and the suspect is accused of attempting to kidnap of the Democratic House leader. Ye, formerly known as Kanye West, posted a series of antisemitic tweets in October and wore a "White Lives Matter" T-shirt. The Brooklyn Nets suspended point guard Kyrie Irving for at least five games for his "failure to disavow antisemitism." An analysis from the Network Contagion Research Institute showed use of the N-word on Twitter spiking in a single day after Elon Musk took over the platform as some users appeared to respond to his free-speech stance.

Hate-motivated incidents in 37 major US cities increased by nearly 39% in 2021 and appear to be trending upward for 2022, according to an analysis of national police data compiled by the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at the California State University, San Bernardino.

"It's bad right now. B-A-D," George Rattay, the chair of the Democratic Party in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, told Insider. "People are reluctant to work at the polls today. And I understand it. People take their anger out on these workers, many of whom are elderly."

Rattay, who's been in politics for more than four decades, said canvassers, volunteers, and candidates were facing threats and becoming involved in altercations.

"When I first got into politics, I could reach across the aisle on issues and have some civility," he said. "It's not that way today."

Poll workers and even librarians face violence

People wait in line to cast their ballots at the Orange County Supervisor of Elections Office on the first day of early voting for the 2022 midterm general election in Orlando.

There have been multiple reports of increasing threats and violence targeting poll workers.Paul Hennessy/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images

The danger isn't limited to politicians. In August, federal prosecutors charged five people with making death threats against election workers. In October, an Iowa man was arrested in connection with threats to kill election officials in Arizona's Maricopa County.

"The rhetoric that's coming out of these leaders, particularly from Republicans, is dangerous," Ringer said, adding that President Donald Trump's rhetoric was to blame. "I'm worried about poll workers."

The Republican National Committee didn't immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

The National Counterterrorism Center, the FBI, and other agencies issued a bulletin last month warning security agencies of the potential for attacks on political candidates, election officials, and polling workers, according to documents obtained by NPR. The FBI has since warned about "broad threats" to synagogues in New Jersey.

Abortion-clinic workers also worry about growing threats, which could include violence, harassment, and even arson, in a post-Roe v. Wade America, NPR reported.

Less-controversial pillars of society are at risk as well. Libraries, which not long ago wouldn't have been considered targets of political attacks, are facing threats — along with their workers. Anger from some about the books some libraries stock is dragging librarians into the nation's culture wars.

Libraries in Denver were shut down for a day after receiving an "unspecified threat" in late September. A similar situation unfolded in Fort Worth, Texas, about the same time. In Nashville, Tennessee, various libraries were closed in October for a day after a bomb threat was emailed to staff.

"Unfortunately there have been a rising number of threats of violence toward libraries and librarians," the American Library Association's executive board told Insider via email.

The association issued a statement in June condemning the threats, adding that many "aim to erase the stories and identities of gay, queer, transgender, Black, Indigenous, persons of color, those with disabilities and religious minorities."

The breadth of the threats to politicians, poll workers, and other civic employees like librarians indicates hate in America has become prolific. And with early voting underway in some states ahead of the Tuesday midterm elections, divisive rhetoric is likely to grow louder.

"I'm worried about next week," Ringer said, referring to the midterms. "I don't know what's going to happen. I hope nothing happens."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

American civility has been in free fall since that guy came down the escalator. 

It started long before that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

But man, did he kick it into overdrive!

It’s a shared situation. How people continue to divert from that is sad. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, autigeremt said:

It started long before that. 

True.  There was Newt Gingrich, Lee Atwater,  and a few others.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-secret-papers-of-lee-atwater-who-invented-the-scurrilous-tactics-that-trump-normalized

But Trump took it to a whole new level, and he's not done.

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I have noticed that on social media and some news reports. Real time has not changed in my world. How about yours?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I have noticed that on social media and some news reports. Real time has not changed in my world. How about yours?

My day-to-day in person interactions? Not so much, but many of us live and largely interact in places less impacted. But I think it’s a mistake to dismiss social media interactions and news reports that show dramatic changes. Who I interact with on social media has changed dramatically. I have friends and family members who’ve gone off the rails and see me less as a person they’ve known for years and, instead, representative of a group they hate.

We have folks now who’ve lost confidence in vaccines as a whole, even though the Covid vaccines generally work better than flu vaccines. We have folks who totally disregard what a person has done when voting for him. To  continue to support Trump, his followers have had to disregard personal behavior and/or deny reality. (“He was just talking when he said he routinely grabbed women by the p#**y. He didn’t mean it. Never happened.”)

I could go on and on about how we’ve degraded as a society.

• Thanks 1

There’s two main factors:

1) our collective IQ has dropped significantly.  We’re literally a nation of fat morons

2) half the population is voting to affect their govt assisted income.   

To summarize, people are dumb and done of them are just voting to increase the size of their Uncle Sam check.  Of course this war is about to go hot

31 minutes ago, pensacolatiger said:

There’s two main factors:

1) our collective IQ has dropped significantly.  We’re literally a nation of fat morons

2) half the population is voting to affect their govt assisted income.   

To summarize, people are dumb and done of them are just voting to increase the size of their Uncle Sam check.  Of course this war is about to go hot

well i heard charter schools and private schools both robbed money from public schools. i ever posted an article on it. but i agree  more people are stupid than there used to be. unless we have just discovered this in the age of computers.

On 11/6/2022 at 8:07 PM, TexasTiger said:

No, it started with all the vicious attacks on George W. Bush in his 2nd term. Obama came in and instead of unifying the country, he divided it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1