Get on Board the Lane Train!

AU-24

2 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

It’s his fault he got slaughtered by a coach in his first year at LSU and a 5-5 Arkansas team…

Who is your first choice to be our coach?

Guest MustardSeed
Just now, PigskinPat said:

Who is your first choice to be our coach?

1) Dabo (highly unlikely I assume)

2) Deion (a risk for sure but everyone else on the list has already proven they aren’t worth the money or are just as big a risk and the upside for Deion is potentially off the charts…)

Guest MustardSeed
6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Pssss....that first year LSU coach is going to Atlanta

If that's your standard, woof.

Yes the standard to qualify as the coach at AU should include being able to be competitive in your third year against a coach in his first. 

Let’s just take our common games…

And remember we fired our coach for this season…

We bot lost to Arky by around 14-15 points. 
We both lost to LSU, us by 4, them by 25

We both beat A&M by 3 (our interim coach pulled that one off……………….)

They beat us head to head

So literally the only comparable game we played that they actually win the comparison on is the head to head…and we fired our coach for this performance. 

So essentially the difference between getting fired mid season and being worth 10mil a year is winning the head to head game…and maybe beating a 6-5 Kentucky by 3. 
Seems legit

48 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Have y'all actually looked at the box score from this Ole Miss game?  The Rebs have 650 yards of offense.  410 on the ground.

Jackson Dart and the defense played like trash.  But the run game was spectacular.

Ya know what they say. “Total yards win championships”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Yes the standard to qualify as the coach at AU should include being able to be competitive in your third year against a coach in his first. 

So literally the only comparable game we played that they actually win the comparison on is the head to head…and we fired our coach for this performance. 

So essentially the difference between getting fired mid season and being worth 10mil a year is winning the head to head game…and maybe beating a 6-5 Kentucky by 3. 
Seems legit

The hard truth is we will be overpaying for CLK currently. Call it market value. Call it whatever you want. I think CLK can succeed if he also gets the budget he needs to bring elite coaches around him as well, particularly on the defensive side. The mental gymnastics some are trying to do is pretty laughable though. to excuse some of this stuff in terms of play calling and losses.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Seems legit

You do realize how dumb this logic is, right?  Need an example:

Tommy Tuberville.

Auburn's horrible 1998 team beat his Ole Miss squad.  We hired him that November.

I'm interested in what is a coach building at a program.  Kiffin is building a winner quickly at Ole Miss.  Is he perfect?  Nope.  Not even my top choice.  But given better resources, I think he gets better coaches and players to work with.  He's 23-10 at Ole Miss.  Do you realize how hard that is to do historically in Oxford?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Kind of missed the point, but you're going off in other threads, so I know where you are on this.  All good.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Kind of missed the point, but you're going off in other threads, so I know where you are on this.  All good.

The yards are genuinely impressive. But it doesn’t give me much solace. Looking at the yardage in the Auburn-LSU game this year shows how deceiving it can be.

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
1 minute ago, DAG said:

The hard truth is we will be overpaying for CLK currently. Call it market value. Call it whatever you want. I think CLK can succeed if he also gets the budget he needs to bring elite coaches around him as well, particularly on the defensive side. The mental gymnastics some are trying to do is pretty laughable though. to excuse some of this stuff in terms of play calling and losses.

I’d pull for Lane if he became coach…. But if we’re real honest…if Caddy brought in elite coaches he’d succeed too. Heck Harsin could have succeeded here if he hired elite coaches.  
I was somewhat good with the LK hire before today but I hadn’t really looked deeper. I (probably like many) saw he only lost 2 games to bama and LSU and saw the top 15 ranking for an Ole Miss team and it appeared pretty decent. 
But when digging deeper he essentially has had the same season Harsin got fired for but slightly better…he just had a much easier schedule up to that point 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

The yards are genuinely impressive. But it doesn’t give me much solace. Looking at the yardage in the Auburn-LSU game this year shows how deceiving it can be.

Its easy to forget two TDs were called back on penalties.  Ole Miss hurt themselves a lot tonight.

Key penalties and umcharacteristic turnovers all night.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I’d pull for Lane if he became coach…. But if we’re real honest…if Caddy brought in elite coaches he’d succeed too. Heck Harsin could have succeeded here if he hired elite coaches.  
I was somewhat good with the LK hire before today but I hadn’t really looked deeper. I (probably like many) saw he only lost 2 games to bama and LSU and saw the top 15 ranking for an Ole Miss team and it appeared pretty decent. 
But when digging deeper he essentially has had the same season Harsin got fired for but slightly better…he just had a much easier schedule up to that point 

Well I definitely don't agree with all of that but you bring up some good points. Hypocrisy at best is being shown based on preference. What I will say is I expect elite results for elite pay.

Just now, lovemytigerz said:

Kiffin would win at Auburn.  But, he won't build a perennial championship juggernaut, and we'll be stuck with a coach who wins a lot, but doesn't win it all.  He'll never be an elite coach.

Let's hope that is not true.

3 minutes ago, lovemytigerz said:

Kiffin would win at Auburn.  But, he won't build a perennial championship juggernaut, and we'll be stuck with a coach who wins a lot, but doesn't win it all.  He'll never be an elite coach.

I don't think he has the patience to build the juggernaut.  Much like his recruiting, he tends to take an easier road...ala the portal.  There are flags from HS coaches about him not visiting etc.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

51 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Have y'all actually looked at the box score from this Ole Miss game?  The Rebs have 650 yards of offense.  410 on the ground.

Jackson Dart and the defense played like trash.  But the run game was spectacular.

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

That 2014 Auburn team churned out a lot of offense (that Iron Bowl in particular) and yet we were no where close to sniffing a championship berth.

The problems I have with Kiffin is that, sure he plugged the holes in last year's roster with the portal, but he's never been anywhere long enough to show that he can build or sustain a team. That and the fact that he has a tendency to leave his defense and coordinators out to dry. If you know your defense is a liability, as a head coach you have to plan accordingly. Don't recall who said it but Kiffin is a great play caller, but great head coach is debatable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lovemytigerz said:

Aka Gus Malzahn.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Its easy to forget two TDs were called back on penalties.  Ole Miss hurt themselves a lot tonight.

Key penalties and umcharacteristic turnovers all night.

They were down 42-6  90 secs into the 3rd quarter.  It was s total blow out. The arky defense then checked out and the offense coasted. It is only one game and weird stuff sometimes happens. But there’s literally no glass half full perspective for this game.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

I don't think he has the patience to build the juggernaut.  Much like his recruiting, he tends to take an easier road...ala the portal.  There are flags from HS coaches about him not visiting etc.

The juggernaut is built with swarming, overwhelming defense.  Lane, like most offensive minded coaches, thinks he can just win shoot outs and that's all he needs.  Arkansas destroyed his delusion tonight.  

Auburn needs to hire a great defensive coach, but it's hard to know which great defensive coach will successfully transform into a juggernaut building head coach.  Dan Lanning has all the tools, the pedigree, and coached at UGA as Kirby re-built it into a juggernaut.  Lanning just needs time.

Guest MustardSeed
11 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

There are flags from HS coaches about him not visiting etc.

Wow. We just fired a guy with the same mentality.  It’s double jeopardy and we’re over here like
“Alex give me Stockholm Syndrome for 10 million” 🤣