Elephant in the Lane Train Room

AUght2win

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

You understand he didn’t do it for strategic purposes, right? Saban felt Kiffin was being so unprofessional and was so distracted with his upcoming FAU job that he was actually hurting the team. Saban has never done anything like that before or since - which should tell you about how bad Lane must have been.

Lane deserved to be fired and he was.

Just tells me he learned from his mistake. I know Bammers don’t accept that he makes mistakes but he actually makes quite a few. As you see the athletes evening up, they become much more obvious. He actually thought it would not impact him. Kiffin has more than proven his play calling capabilities is his greatest asset.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

There is nothing more lame than someone balking when they’re asked to explain their ideas. You don’t need to be commenting on this thread if you can’t back up your claims. 

It's been backed up many times... you choose not to see it.  I choose not to play.

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Just tells me he learned from his mistake. I know Bammers don’t accept that he makes mistakes but he actually makes quite a few. As you see the athletes evening up, they become much more obvious. He actually thought it would not impact him. Kiffin has more than proven his play calling capabilities is his greatest asset.

This is so wrong and y’all are missing the point entirely. It’s like saying when a star player is kicked off a team that the coach “made a mistake”. No, the player made a mistake and forced the coach’s hand. You think Gus wanted to boot Jovon Robinson or Duke Williams? Saban didn’t want to boot Lane either. He had to.

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

This is so wrong and y’all are missing the point entirely. It’s like saying when a star player is kicked off a team that the coach “made a mistake”. No, the player made a mistake and forced the coach’s hand. You think Gus wanted to boot Jovon Robinson or Duke Williams? Saban didn’t want to boot Lane either. He had to.

I’m not missing your point. I just don’t agree with it. He needed Kiffin to do 2things, make the offensive game plan, and call plays on the day of the game. Saban just thought his next OC could make up the difference. He cut him loose bc of the comments.

14 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m not missing your point. I just don’t agree with it. He needed Kiffin to do 2things, make the offensive game plan, and call plays on the day of the game. Saban just thought his next OC could make up the difference. He cut him loose bc of the comments.

Comments? What are you talking about? It was over him not doing his job.

9186458F-0B35-43A2-8422-4B327988F73D.thumb.jpeg.c640b99f9c1a16adcf8f9d37332e36e7.jpeg

9CBA91FB-E851-44B8-8D2B-A6D7B52F0026.thumb.jpeg.d38593f0248a2b0a098119f54af14d58.jpeg

11 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Comments? What are you talking about? It was over him not doing his job.

9186458F-0B35-43A2-8422-4B327988F73D.thumb.jpeg.c640b99f9c1a16adcf8f9d37332e36e7.jpeg

9CBA91FB-E851-44B8-8D2B-A6D7B52F0026.thumb.jpeg.d38593f0248a2b0a098119f54af14d58.jpeg

I think Saban said exactly what I said. He had his next OC. If I am remembering correctly when questions came to Kiffin, he made some  comments that others made a big deal about. I believe based on that comment that he thought there would be little fall off. From a playcalling perspective. There is not many that can match Kiffin in that capability. You clearly blame Kiffin. I blame Saban (specifically Savan’s ego).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I think Saban said exactly what I said. He had his next OC. If I am remembering correctly when questions came to Kiffin, he made some  comments that others made a big deal about. I believe based on that comment that he thought there would be little fall off. From a playcalling perspective. There is not many that can match Kiffin in that capability. You clearly blame Kiffin. I blame Saban (specifically Savan’s ego).

I think you’re very much mixed up. Kiffin did not get fired a week before a NC game because of “comments”. He got fired for what I just showed you. You can’t even cite what you’re talking about. 

On 11/7/2022 at 2:16 PM, Gowebb11 said:

He took over USC in January 2010 if I recall correctly. That summer they were hit with probation costing them 30 scholarships. He won 10 games year 2, then 7-6 in year 3 which is usually when scholarship loss has caught up. Not sure that qualifies as an implosion.  

Exactly. Kiffin had a 10-3 season in year 2. USC was also the preseason AP #1 the year he was fired. He lost at Arizona State and gave up like 70 points to them. On the flight back to LAX, the AD fired Lane when they landed. The team then chartered their buses at LAX and left Kiffin there to find his own ride home. Dude had to get a damn cab to take him home. Lane is still FURIOUS over that and has talked about it several times, including just 3 weeks ago. He said he still thinks he was done dirty due to the team being on probation. If you really consider how hard they were hit with sanctions, he did a pretty damn good job at USC.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2022 at 4:24 PM, AUght2win said:

I think you’re very much mixed up. Kiffin did not get fired a week before a NC game because of “comments”. He got fired for what I just showed you. You can’t even cite what you’re talking about. 

So he didnt get fired for smashing Sabans daughter the rumor mill ran w years ago? Because as a potential Auburn coach that would be a much more exciting possibility to think about the deep hatred saban would have for the man.

34 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

How we feel about Big Game Lane this afternoon?

Same as I feel when any big time coach loses a game. It happens. Doesn’t change anything for me except to further the thought that Lane needs AU to accomplish what literally no one can at Ole Miss. 

Edited by NoALtiger
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Same as I feel when any big time coach loses a game. It happens. Doesn’t change anything for me except to further the thought that Lane needs AU to accomplish what literally no one can at Ole Miss. 

He’s 4-6 against ranked opponents at OM. One of those wins was against this year’s abysmal Kentucky team. Their combined opponent record this year is 47-42, not counting FCS Central Arkansas.

He’s 0-3 against Saban and he’s yet to have a marquee win. No division or conference titles. No Big 6 wins. 

What he has done at OM, while solid. is being overhyped. 

27 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

He’s 4-6 against ranked opponents at OM. One of those wins was against this year’s abysmal Kentucky team. Their combined opponent record this year is 47-42, not counting FCS Central Arkansas.

He’s 0-3 against Saban and he’s yet to have a marquee win. No division or conference titles. No Big 6 wins. 

What he has done at OM, while solid. is being overhyped. 

Would you consider including his record with Bama’s roster as a data point of success? 

13 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Would you consider including his record with Bama’s roster as a data point of success? 

I don’t know what that means. As we’ve been over 1000x, coordinator success means very little when it comes to how successful someone will be as a head coach. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t know what that means. As we’ve been over 1000x, coordinator success means very little when it comes to how successful someone will be as a head coach. 

I will take that as a no 

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2022 at 1:35 PM, Elephant Tipper said:

I don't know about that.  LK surely knows about AU's early retirement program.

That benefit alone should draw hundreds of applicants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You’d be correct. Gene Chizik had an amazing resume as a coordinator. So did Muschamp. 

Well….. At least you are consistent in your cherry picking of examples 😄

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

How we feel about Big Game Lane this afternoon?

I think LK coached a good game until right at the end. He had Saban on the ropes, but took the ball out of the hands of Judkins, the kid who wasn't good enough for Auburn. QJ is arguably the best Freshman RB in the country. Love that kid.

• Like 2