Elephant in the Lane Train Room

AUght2win

6 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

This is fact, but would it be an Auburn coaching search without someone wanting Dell McGee?  😂

Is Dell now officially the new Grimes?? 

5 minutes ago, Viper said:

EMme.gif

I get it but I just disagree. There was an implosion at the end. Jimbo ended the longest bowl appearance streak in college football history. 36 in a row! It was an implosion at the end very similar to Tubberville’s.

6 minutes ago, Taker said:

Is Dell now officially the new Grimes?? 

Considering Dell’s name has been in every single search back to when Chizik was hired for every position possible at Auburn from HC to OC to multiple different position coaches, I’d say Grimes might be the new Dell 😬 although Grimes actually could make sense and Dell never has. 

Dell McGee and Bill Clark.  Can’t have an Auburn coaching search without them.

6 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Considering Dell’s name has been in every single search back to when Chizik was hired for every position possible at Auburn from HC to OC to multiple different position coaches, I’d say Grimes might be the new Dell 😬 although Grimes actually could make sense and Dell never has. 

Dell McGee and Bill Clark.  Can’t have an Auburn coaching search without them.

Lol, you're right... I think if we get to a point that we are having to hire a guy with ZERO HC experience then we are either in worse shape as a program than anyone would think or we need to stop accepting the booster opinions and be prepared to cut ties with them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Taker said:

Lol, you're right... I think if we get to a point that we are having to hire a guy with ZERO HC experience then we are either in worse shape as a program than anyone would think or we need to stop accepting the booster opinions and be prepared to cut ties with them. 

I mean Deion basically has no HC experience that would translate to SEC football.

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I mean Deion basically has no HC experience that would translate to SEC football.

No he doesn’t, but I’ll be danged if he doesn’t bring excitement, charisma, energy, and a badass super star vibe with him.

The last thing Auburn needs is boring and low key. We are worse than mediocre (thanks to the last 2 multimillionaire HC’s) and Auburn better find an immediate infusion of excitement with whomever they hire.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

So are you pro DS or anti DS? 

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

No he doesn’t, but I’ll be danged if he doesn’t bring excitement, charisma, energy, and a badass super star vibe with him.

The last thing Auburn needs is boring and low key. We are worse than mediocre (thanks to the last 2 multimillionaire HC’s) and Auburn better find an immediate infusion of excitement with whomever they hire.

Love that passion

17 minutes ago, Taker said:

So are you pro DS or anti DS? 

I’ll be clear I’m not crazy about anybody on the current board. But I’ll support them wholeheartedly. I like DS and wouldn’t mind him. Lane worries me the most but Freeze and DS do too to lesser degrees.

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I’ll be clear I’m not crazy about anybody on the current board. But I’ll support them wholeheartedly. I like DS and wouldn’t mind him. Lane worries me the most but Freeze and DS do too to lesser degrees.

I think we can all agree that every candidate rumored so far has warts of one kind or another.  

37 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I get it but I just disagree. There was an implosion at the end.

Again, the implosion was Jimbo's marriage and his determination to take the biggest, fastest train out of Tallahassee.

40 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It was an implosion at the end very similar to Tubberville’s.

Inside-the-NBA-Rockets-Clippers-Locker-R

Not even close.

Tubbs at AU -> 8.5 wins per season

Jimbo at FSU -> 10.4 wins per season

And spare us with Jimbo playing in the ACC when Tubbs got to play the likes of Jackie Sherrill, Sylvester Croom, Houston Nutt, Mark Richt, Mike Dubose and Mike Shula every season.

11 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

So who would your choice be? Not of the ones "on the board" but any coach

Just now, Viper said:

Again, the implosion was Jimbo's marriage and his determination to take the biggest, fastest train out of Tallahassee.

Lmaoooo. You are citing the affair like it actually happened. Zero reputable sources have said so. Do you go around stating Harsin cheated as if it were fact?

But then again you’re getting a lot of info wrong. You thought his last season he won 7 games - which you based your original stance on.

As was said earlier, every candidate has some downsides. For Lane, USC was a long time ago, but I haven't seen enough of him as a HC since to think he'd be a home run. Not sure of the circumstances, but his second season at FAU was a losing one. He rebounded with a 10 win season then bolted for Ole Miss.

His record at Ole Miss has been good, but I'm not sure he's had a signature win there.

If we're going to roll the dice, I'd much rather land on Deion than pay Kiffin a 9 figure contract. There are coaches out there that justify that price but Kiffin is not one of them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Taker said:

So who would your choice be? Not of the ones "on the board" but any coach

If I could take any coach it’d be Dabo. I know that’s not very realistic. After that maybe Fickell, Aranda, Mark Stoops, Bob Stoops. There aren’t too many home runs available these days. 

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Lmaoooo. You are citing the affair like it actually happened. Zero reputable sources have said so.

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Allegedly

Regardless if his wife imploded on a recruit or not, Jimbo did divorce his wife in that time period, which takes a mental toll on anyone. He wanted out of Tallahassee.

But then again you’re getting a lot of info wrong. You thought his last season he won 7 games - which you based your original stance on.

You are correct. The program won 7 games in 2017. Jimbo won 5.

He also averaged 10.4 wins per season, which you refuse to acknowledge.

And you compare his time at FSU to Tubbs' time at AU. Hilarious.

Jimbo did not implode at FSU. He repaired the potholes that Bowden left behind and made them relevant again.

Where have they been since?

5-7, 6-7, 3-6, 5-7

Imploded is what happened to FSU when Jimbo left.

Kiffin was young and cocky when he was at UT and USC.  As he matured he went through the Saban Coach Rehabilitation Clinic and, in the process, actually transformed the “ram it down their throats” stale offense Saban had used throughout his tenure to the dynamic version he uses today with great effectiveness.  I think in the end they learned from each other.  I really think Kiffin can transform Auburn from the mess we have had since the rest of the teams in the conference figured out the Gus Bus after Nick Marshall graduated in 2014.  If and when the Lane Train comes to Auburn the writing will be wall for Saban to head toward retirement the same way Bear knew it was over after seeing what Dye was creating across the state.  The same way Tubby knew it was over when he saw what Saban was building.  

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

Regardless if his wife imploded on a recruit or not, Jimbo did divorce his wife in that time period, which takes a mental toll on anyone. He wanted out of Tallahassee.

You are correct. The program won 7 games in 2017. Jimbo won 5.

He also averaged 10.4 wins per season, which you refuse to acknowledge.

And you compare his time at FSU to Tubbs' time at AU. Hilarious.

Jimbo did not implode at FSU. He repaired the potholes that Bowden left behind and made them relevant again.

5-7, 6-7, 3-6, 5-7

True, when Jimbo left his recruits there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WarTim said:

Or maybe he is asking market value

Unfortunately for a top 5 coach that’s market value. Mentioned on another thread people forget that Mel Tucker has over 100mil deal with the incentives included. 56 mil guaranteed. There’s only 5 formidable names that wouldn’t  demand top dollar

If I could take any coach it’d be Dabo. I know that’s not very realistic. After that maybe Fickell, Aranda, Mark Stoops, Bob Stoops. There aren’t too many home runs available these days. 

I agree with Dabo on this list, he has proven he could turn a 2nd tier program into a power house so it would be interesting to see him with Auburn and what he could do in the SEC

Fickell has been successful at Cincy but I'm not sure how that would translate in the SEC

Aranda is a GREAT coordinator and so far at Baylor he is doing a good job but again how would he do in the SEC

M.Stoops- Proven he can build a program in the SEC and be competitive with minimal resources.  You would have to assume that if he were to be at AU with more resources and more attractive offers he could get lights out coordinators but I just don't get the warm fuzziness for some reason (Guess it isn't sexy) 

B.Stoops- See Dabo only downside to B.Stoops he is alot like Richt... great coach can't win the big one (I know they won in 00 or 01 but that was a LONG time ago and he has been out of the game for a while) 

If I could take any coach it would be Kirby- still hate that we whiffed on him. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Here’s all I want to know from pro Lane people - has there ever, in CFB history, been an example of a guy who imploded at a previous stop but still went on to a consistent, long, successful career at a big job? 

Chizik - Imploded at ISU and later at Auburn. 

Orgeron - Imploded at Ole Miss and later at LSU.

Muschamp - Imploded at Florida and later at South Carolina.

Jimbo - Imploded at FSU and is currently imploding at TAMU.

Lane - Imploded at USC…

Seriously, how are people not concerned about this? Could he be successful at Auburn? Sure.

But it would defy a repeatedly tried precedent in CFB’s long history.

Tired of retreads. Freeze the only retread I would consider, but Lanning or Sonny Dykes or Dabo 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I’m glad you mentioned Bob Stoops.  A few yrs ago some Mod on said AU PTB pursue Bob one of those post-seasons where Gus was supposed to be fired.  Why has he not been considered this go ‘round?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Here’s all I want to know from pro Lane people - has there ever, in CFB history, been an example of a guy who imploded at a previous stop but still went on to a consistent, long, successful career at a big job? 

Chizik - Imploded at ISU and later at Auburn. 

Orgeron - Imploded at Ole Miss and later at LSU.

Muschamp - Imploded at Florida and later at South Carolina.

Jimbo - Imploded at FSU and is currently imploding at TAMU.

Lane - Imploded at USC…

Seriously, how are people not concerned about this? Could he be successful at Auburn? Sure.

But it would defy a repeatedly tried precedent in CFB’s long history.

Haha Your first two examples both won a national championship at their second schools. 

55 minutes ago, Viper said:

5-7, 6-7, 3-6, 5-7

LMAO. What would you attribute that to Viper? Almost as if the previous coach left the program in shambles.