Gameday help please!

Ber798297

I live in the Huntsville area and I am debating whether or not to go to the game Saturday.  It will just be my son (17 yrs) and I.  It’s been forever since I’ve been to a game at JHS.  I’m nervous over parking, traffic, and whether or not to get a hotel (probably will have to look in Montgomery) or just try to drive back after the game.  Any suggestions on where to park?  Any other tips if I decide to go? Thanks

Probably not an overwhelming crowd this weekend, but still good turnout hopefully. Lots of parking options ranging from premium on Stubhub to large university lots that require shuttle (booooo! for after games...) yards, etc. We've been using the United Methodist lot right in downtown, parking still available today via Clutch app, and the money goes to their mission trips to boot. 

Stubhub also looks like tickets plentiful and cheap so good timing there. Upper deck ~$50, lower near $100 which is unusual. 

You'll probably have better luck with hotel in south of Birmingham area if you don't want to make the whole drive back. At that hour, I'd rather sleep than run off the road. 

Check the weather - big changes that day, will be "brisk" for this night game so come on down, but come prepared. 

• Thanks 1

We park at the West Parking lot, which is on Thach past the Villages.  Easy to get to the stadium, but the down side is that you don’t see much of campus. If you haven’t been in a while, you want to get the full experience!  If you are up for walking a lot before tha game, then it’s a great place to park.  I agree with getting a hotel room somewhere.  Huntsville is a long haul after a night game!

• Thanks 1

I was curious about parking too since me and some buddies are going to the game and it's the first game I've been to since 2017. We used to park in a field there by the railroad tracks that's near the "goalpost" if that's even still there. Was not a bad walk. Also wondering how much parking has gone up since I've last been 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ber798297 said:

I live in the Huntsville area and I am debating whether or not to go to the game Saturday.  It will just be my son (17 yrs) and I.  It’s been forever since I’ve been to a game at JHS.  I’m nervous over parking, traffic, and whether or not to get a hotel (probably will have to look in Montgomery) or just try to drive back after the game.  Any suggestions on where to park?  Any other tips if I decide to go? Thanks

Buy a parking pass at the Methodist church.  Its $45 and goes towards their youth group.  Right off downtown so close to everything and an easy walk plus guaranteed safe parking.  Auburn also has some parking options off Lem Morrison but its kinda a hike, just depends on how far you want to walk.    I think you will want to get a hotel as the game will be over pretty late and that is a long drive back to HSV, Montgomery is a good option and should have availability.  If we can’t get a room in Auburn we typically will stay in Montgomery but we are heading down from Madison Saturday and staying in LaGrange that night, then Sunday heading to Kennedy for the Artemis launch 🚀 so I didn’t want to have to backtrack from Montgomery.   If you go to any Trash Panda games, the Methodist church uses the Clutch app for parking too.  https://www.aumc.net/gameday/

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ber798297 said:

Agree with the advice in regards to parking, the United Methodist church lot works out well. As far as hotels go, there are several "budget"-type hotels back in Alexander City. They're about 35-40 mins away back west on Highway 280, not quite as far as Montgomery (or B'ham for that matter). There's an American Inn (not a chain & slightly cheaper) as well as a Days Inn, Quality Inn,  & Super 8 (all seemingly around $99/night) and a Hampton Inn (nicer but more expensive). You might be able to find a good rate through Priceline, Expedia, Trivago, etc. provided there are still rooms available. 

Another option I saw on Google Maps was a place called Creekside Lodge (click here) which is right on Lake Martin in Dadeville. Only about 25-30 mins to Auburn but unfortunately they have a 2 night minimum stay on Auburn game-day weekends 😠  I was lucky enough to stay at a friend-of-a-friend's cabin on Lake Martin when we went down to see the last game that Harsin coached aka Auburn vs. Arkansas. Wish it was my place, I'd offer it up to you as a fellow Tigers fan. Only about 25 mins from Auburn and the sunrise views there were pretty nice!

• Thanks 1

Free advice that's worth what I charge you - The free shuttle is awesome. If you want to park north of Auburn in-town, take it from the Auburn Mall. Better, avoid most traffic and take it from the Auburn municipal softball complex on south College on the east side of I-85. 10 minute ride in light traffic, 20 minute ride if gameday traffic is heavy. Tiger town shopping center is a traffic nightmare. Stadium drop off and pickup is on the north side of the basketball arena (War Eagle Way I think). Shuttle runs for 2 hours from the time the game clock hits zero. If you take a deliberate pace, you can get to Toomers after the game, throw some TP, and back to the shuttle without worrying about missing it. I can't stand Auburn/Opelika traffic except off-hours: a stop sign or light at every intersection, no timed traffic patterns (it seems), tiny streets, and folks poke along in the left lane. Not sure what to tell you about hotels. You could always drive half-way back after the game and get a good price on hotel in Montgomery or Birmingham - catch some night life.

• Thanks 1

I used to park at the bank across from the Methodist Church. Looks like the prices have about doubled since I was there last (2016). I scored a ticket and will be there for the first time in 6 years. Looking forward to being back, but also concerned about the traffic and parking due to the sellout crowd tomorrow. I'm coming from Wetumpka and will probably be leaving here around noon just to make sure I have enough time to get everything sorted out. 

• Like 1