2022 World Cup

aucanucktiger

Just now, arein0 said:

I've been impressed with all of the refs so far this WC. All of them have been very consistent.

The one against Wales was a little frustrating but still wrong within normal parameters. 

5 minutes ago, arein0 said:

How so?

Game had a very staccato feel to it, and he was very liberal with the yellow cards. 

Edited by AUDub

8 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Game had a very staccato feel to it, and he was very liberal with the yellow cards. 

I think a lot of that had to do with the emotions/excitement of the first game and the players learning what is being called. You also have to remember how many VAR penalties in the first set of games for holding, and now you aren't seeing the players doing that at all because they've learned that is being called.

That second half against Iran was brutal on so many levels.  First half was great.  If only weah had not tried to head that one vertical ball in front of goal.
 I understand the Aaronson sub and Acosta - although not my fave - has been better the last couple years and McKinnie was gassed.  The other 3 subs however were mind numbing.  Reyna scores a goal in second half if he’s there.  I guess Haji for hold up play but he seemed confused as to what to do.  Of course some of these guys should never have been on the roster.  

Edited by mustache eagle

Mexico-Saudi Arabia even at half. Mexico is already behind the 8 ball and absolutely need a win here. 

6 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

That second half against Iran was brutal on so many levels.  First half was great.  If only weah had not tried to head that one vertical ball in front of goal.
 I understand the Aaronson sub and Acosta - although not my fave - has been better the last couple years and McKinnie was gassed.  The other 3 subs however were mind numbing.  Reyna scores a goal in second half if he’s there.  I guess Haji for hold up play but he seemed confused as to what to do.  Of course some of these guys should never have been on the roster.  

Haji had such a bad half against Iran. There was one play where the ball was loose and bouncing around midfield, and instead of stepping in front of the defender to get possession, he just stands there and watches the other team get possession and keep the attack going. The other instance that had me furious was at the end of the game when he had a breakaway and instead of dribbling to the corner to kill the time, he gets stuck between shooting and crossing and it turns into a weak shot at goal and they are able to get one more attack in. For his position and the level he is at, those plays 2 plays are inexcusably bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arein0 said:

Haji had such a bad half against Iran. There was one play where the ball was loose and bouncing around midfield, and instead of stepping in front of the defender to get possession, he just stands there and watches the other team get possession and keep the attack going. The other instance that had me furious was at the end of the game when he had a breakaway and instead of dribbling to the corner to kill the time, he gets stuck between shooting and crossing and it turns into a weak shot at goal and they are able to get one more attack in. For his position and the level he is at, those plays 2 plays are inexcusably bad.

Could have killed so much time in the corner there.  Then maybe the heart drop VAR review doesn't have to happen. 

• Like 1

Interesting fact - as of this Saturday afternoon we will have played twenty-six (26) different nations in our rich world cup history (going back to the 1st WC, in 1930).

13 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Germany is done!

Some of the traditional "soccer powers" are getting doses of humility, they assume they can just show up like it's 1990. England are consistently overrated, Germany hasnt advanced out of the group stage since 2014, Italy didnt even qualify, Brazil hasnt finished top 3 in 20 years and Argentina loses to the likes of Saudi Arabia while blunder-reffing their way out of early rounds. Arrogance is a killer.

For about 3 minutes during the simultaneous games for the group, when Costa Rica took a short second half lead on Germany and Spain trailed Japan, the 1st and 2nd place teams in the group were Japan and Costa Rica. 

That group almost got CONCACAF'd lol. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Some of the traditional "soccer powers" are getting doses of humility, they assume they can just show up like it's 1990. England are consistently overrated, Germany hasnt advanced out of the group stage since 2014, Italy didnt even qualify, Brazil hasnt finished top 3 in 20 years and Argentina loses to the likes of Saudi Arabia while blunder-reffing their way out of early rounds. Arrogance is a killer.

This is Italy's second straight failure to qualify, and to be fair Argentina in the era of Messi is renowned for underperforming around him. 

What did you think about the 2nd Japan goal that changed everything?  From more soccer aficionados than me, is the end line a plane or a finite boundary?

57 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

What did you think about the 2nd Japan goal that changed everything?  From more soccer aficionados than me, is the end line a plane or a finite boundary?

The entire ball has to be completely over the line to be out

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

It's a finite boundary stretching up to infinity and the entire ball has to be outside the line in order to be out of bounds.

They even put sensors in the ball nowadays to ensure the correct call. 

RDT_20221202_1102253260633433947781546.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look at that little white patch on the right of the ball. That part is still in the field of play. 

• Like 1

Thanks.  Thats what I was thinking but haven't see such a crucial play as close as this was.  Just shows how clutch that goal was for Japan.

7 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Look at that little white patch on the right of the ball. That part is still in the field of play. 

To add to that, it doesnt matter if the ball is in the air or on the ground. As soon as it is completely over that line it is out.

6 minutes ago, arein0 said:

To add to that, it doesnt matter if the ball is in the air or on the ground. As soon as it is completely over that line it is out.

Yep! That's why I said stretching up to infinity. 

• Like 1

South Korea upsets Portugal and leads to Uruguay getting eliminated.  Another power gone.  That would be quite something if we can stretch a run together.

43 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

South Korea upsets Portugal and leads to Uruguay getting eliminated.  Another power gone.  That would be quite something if we can stretch a run together.

It would be nice to have a QF run, but as far as I'm concerned we've succeeded this cycle. 

• Like 1