2022 World Cup

aucanucktiger

I am no soccer aficionado but I'm keeping my eye on the Japanese team.  I saw them beat Germany, then Spain & they've been really aggressive in their play -- always attacking on breakaways to put pressure on the defense.  They are my dark horse pick.     

8 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

I am no soccer aficionado but I'm keeping my eye on the Japanese team.  I saw them beat Germany, then Spain & they've been really aggressive in their play -- always attacking on breakaways to put pressure on the defense.  They are my dark horse pick.     

That win over Spain was a miracle though. Not often a team that only sees 17% of the ball pulls it out. 

Just now, AUDub said:

That win over Spain was a miracle though. Not often a team that only sees 17% of the ball pulls it out. 

True.  The 2nd half seemed like a different game with the way they attacked.  The Japanese have some really fast players that can exploit breakaways.  It's exciting to watch them.    

1 hour ago, AUloggerhead said:

True.  The 2nd half seemed like a different game with the way they attacked.  The Japanese have some really fast players that can exploit breakaways.  It's exciting to watch them.    

Japan is not hurting for talent. There are a lot of guys that play professionally abroad on that roster. We have one Japanese player here locally in Birmingham playing for our local USL Championship team.

My goodness what a great chance early for Pulisic.  I think it surprised him as well.  Sure he wants it back. 

We get good chances but never have a trail guy.  That's how the Dutch got their goal.  Cross behind defense. 

Great shot by Weah. We've attacked consistently.  Would love to get the equalizer before half

Can't get that last touch. Every single time gets blocked.  Frustrating. Dest creating chances today. 

Damn!   Dutch again with a back cross and easy shot one time.  At the end of stoppage.  Catastrophic now with 2 goal lead end of half.  Down 0-2 at half. 

And we just don't score goals.  Went through group with only 2 goals.  Now down 2 with 45 mins left. 

Edited by AUBwins

2-0 Dutch at halftime. Pulisek playing like he's still injured but US issue is same as in 1986 - not enough world class defenders in the player pool for a World Cup squad. Dest & Robinson are quality overlappers but lack fundamental D on the intl level (see e.g. Dutch 2d goal). Our center backs are ALWAYS playing on borrowed time. Adams is world class defensive mid & often bails out this D but his rare mistake gave Dutch 1st goal. Ferreira is sleepwalking but Pulisek-clone  Reyna is NOT a replacement for a true fwd but he's in for Ferreira. Interesting experiment by Ber, down 2. Tough decision.

Another missed opportunity with just the goal keeper to beat.  Could get good speed on that shot

If we could get 1 of these to land soon, could add some pressure to NED

Ugh McKennie. Don't make that extra touch.  Nice set up by Reyna. Mc missed over cross bar

Reyna, Pulisic, Aaronson, Naji on the attacking line.  Time to create chances. 

How TF do you screw up that angle?!  My goodness big fail there by Naji

2-1 NED in 80th min. USA will all kinds of momentum.  NED will look for counters

Well our defensive marking is non existent and Dutch just scored on another dang cross. 

Smh at the Zimmerman bicycle attempt.  Appreciate the effort there though.