GOP's midterm losses were 100% Trump's fault. What say you?

NolaAuTiger

If the GOP does not move on from Trump, will incoherents like Fetterman and Biden keep winning?

Donald Trump might be the only person in America who couldn’t beat Joe Biden in the 2020 presidential election.

And Trump’s also the reason Republicans performed so poorly in the midterm elections, when Americans were furious about inflation and crime and the border. He singlehandedly blew it for the GOP, and in the process delivered the party crown to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Despite his crushing loss in 2020, Trump remained the titular head of the party. He endorsed candidate after candidate in the midterms and so expected to have a good night that on Election Day, Trump (who can’t spend one second out of the spotlight) announced he’d have an announcement to announce on November 15.

But except for the deepest red states, nearly every candidate Trump backed lost. And Trump picked big-time losers in winnable races, most of whom were election deniers, claiming Trump actually won in 2020. Voters simply said nuh uh.

Trump’s biggest loss was in Pennsylvania, where a Democrat who suffered a stroke and could barely utter a coherent sentence defeated a hand-picked Trump candidate, Dr. Mehmet Oz.

Remember, Trump’s endorsement put Oz on top of David McCormick, a former undersecretary of the Treasury Department under George W. Bush, in the GOP primary. McCormick had been picked to run for the Senate seat vacated by popular Republican Pat Toomey. And McCormick most likely would’ve crushed the bumbling John Fetterman.

In a lesser-watched race, this one for a Michigan seat in the U.S. House, Trump backed John Gibbs. Gibbs is a former official in Trump’s Department of Housing and Urban Development, but he spouted some wacky stuff, like claiming Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign chairman John Podesta participated in a Satanic ritual. And, of course, he also declared that Trump actually won in 2020.

Trump’s endorsement put Gibbs on top in the GOP primary against Rep. Peter Meijer. But Gibbs got crushed 54.8% to 41.9% in Tuesday’s election.

Democrats also outfoxed Trump. Liberals spent $53 million to bolster Trump-picked candidates in nine key states — California, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Virginia — as part of the questionable strategy.

That worked out perfectly.

After Gibbs lost in Michigan, Kevin Robillard of the Huffington Post tweeted: “With this race call, every single Republican who won their primary with help from Democratic meddling has lost in the general election.”

In almost every race that Trump meddled in, a strong Republican candidate was poised to run, only to be knocked off by a fringe candidate that went on to lose to the Democrat, despite the horrible atmosphere for Democrats and the toxicity of President Biden.

Take Arizona. Republican leaders were pushing for Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey to run against Democrat Mark Kelly for the Senate seat, but Trump backed election denier Blake Masters. While Ducey won for governor in 2018 with a 14.9-point edge, Kelly leads Masters 51.4% to 46.4, with several hundred thousand votes yet to count.

Scott Reed, a veteran Republican strategist, put it succinctly: “I mean, we had a historic opportunity and Trump’s recruitment of unelectable candidates blew it for us. Trump’s now lost three elections in a row for the Republican Party and it’s time to snap out of this foolishness,” he said on Fox News.

The night was so bad for Trump that some in his inner circle are suggesting he put off whatever that November 15 announcement was going to be.

“I know there’s a temptation to starting talking about 2024 — no, no, no, no, no,” former Trump White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said on Fox News.

And former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who had predicted a GOP pickup of 40+ seats in the House, said Trump should rethink.

“I think Trump’s got to look at the results and be troubled,” Gingrich told Just The News. “I can tell you, for me, this was not the result I expected. I thought we’d win a lot more seats.”

“I mean, just in my own emails today, the number of people who want somebody other than Trump who have decided, literally overnight, that person is going to be DeSantis, he’s going to find it almost impossible to avoid running,” Gingrich said on Wednesday.

Trump’s ego is far too massive to expect him to bail on 2024 and back the Florida governor. But he should know now that if he runs again, he’ll lose. Maybe he should retire and play golf.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/gops-midterm-losses-were-100-trumps-fault

Edited by NolaAuTiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

100%? Probably not. Probably 50% Trump's candidates,  25% Dobbs and 25% Trump’s perceived threat to the republic. 

• Like 2

Stupid stuff.  Really, really, really stupid stuff.

Who would have ever thought the man was inept?  Never saw it coming.

Still, maybe think about doubling down.  Be a shame to waste millions of MAGA hats.  Not to mention, he was just about to be back on twitter.

Whatever you do though, do not blame Republicans for choosing their candidates.  Blame God.  If I remember correctly, God chose Trump.  Well, God and Putin.

Edited by icanthearyou
  • Haha 5
  • Facepalm 1

It was a combination of Trump candidates and Dobbs.  Lots of folks discounting how important that decision was to driving turnout from 18-29 year olds and women.

• Like 3

Not 100%, but more than 50%, imo.

Switching a handful of candidates that had Trump's kiss of death, erm, blessing makes the results look a good bit different.

McCormick for Oz likely keeps the PA Senate seat in the R column.

Keeping Meijer as the R candidate in Michigan likely keeps that House seat R. The irony of Dems pushing the more extreme R candidate in the primary, when Meijer was one of the few Rs to vote to impeach Trump, is thick. Politically, it was smart, don't get me wrong. Neither party has the market cornered on Machiavellian politics, to be sure.

As for abortion, kicking abortion back to the states to decide was the right thing to do, imo. 

I don't understand the mentality of the single-issue voter, and never will. I don't get it regarding abortion, gun rights, whatever it is.

That said, the people in charge of political party maneuvering need to understand the emotionality of the single-issue voter, and the Dems have been winning the appeal to emotion battle for, well, pretty much forever.

The smartest thing that Republican-led state legislatures could do to neutralize the abortion issue is to actually find that middle ground that most people are comfortable with, and get that out for a vote. They won't do it, because they're not capable of playing the long game.

--------------------------------------------

Tangent alert: Something that never fails to frustrate me is people falling for the "I'll be the champion for (insert "totally-unrelated-to-your-job" issue)"...for example, if you're running for a county judgeship, your stance on abortion has absolutely nothing to do with the job description of county judge. What the comptroller thinks of gun control would be equally as immaterial, whether I agree with the stance or not.

(Judgeships should be non-partisan elections across the board, btw...take R and D off, period. Another topic for another day.)

• Like 2

Mostly. He's a piece of feces that needs to be flushed down the drain. It's over....deal with it. Go get someone who can actually lead this nation forward. Or at least make a valiant attempt while at the same time respecting the office and the position of POTUS. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Be a shame to waste millions of MAGA hats. 

I'm going to miss the hats and flags. It gave me an easy identifier of who to avoid talking to.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

49 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I'm going to miss the hats and flags. It gave me an easy identifier of who to avoid talking to.

Or who not to do business with. 

I am constantly amazed by business owners who post political stuff in their places of business. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Perhaps more objectively, Democrats intentionally promoted some Trumpist candidates in some states during the preliminaries, making it easier to defeat them in many of the actual elections. An obvious example being the Turk "Dr Oz."

And let's be frank, the issue of abortion rights affected some MAGA outcomes, but not a huge number of election results.

Still, we have runoffs involving Trump endorsed candidates like that friggin moron gutter-slopper Hershel Walker. And the female version of Trump, Kari Lake, is leading in Arizona.

Many GOPers seem to be ready to dump Trump in favor of that Nazi DeSantis. It's not like a GOP move towards the center. It's a GOP shift from a nutcase to an even more evil, more sophisticated, fascist monster.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AURex said:

Perhaps more objectively, Democrats intentionally promoted some Trumpist candidates in some states during the preliminaries, making it easier to defeat them in many of the actual elections. An obvious example being the Turk "Dr Oz."

And let's be frank, the issue of abortion rights affected some MAGA outcomes, but not a huge number of election results.

Still, we have runoffs involving Trump endorsed candidates like that friggin moron gutter-slopper Hershel Walker. And the female version of Trump, Kari Lake, is leading in Arizona.

Many GOPers seem to be ready to dump Trump in favor of that Nazi DeSantis. It's not like a GOP move towards the center. It's a GOP shift from a nutcase to an even more evil, more sophisticated, fascist monster.

The Ivy League fascists are here.  Only thing is,,, what do they think they can possibly gain?  About 500 people have already looted the country, the treasury.  They pay the lowest tax rates already.  Organized labor is essentially a thing of the past.  Welfare for the wealthy already exceeds welfare for the poor.  We practically live in one big company town.

I guess holding this position static is the goal.  They certainly do not further any meaningful legislation.  Their rhetoric is nothing more than lies and, the inane culture war issues.

Oh wait!!!  They already told us, CUT Social Security.  Old people don't need food and shelter.  Kill the old.  Force the young to breed.  Diabolical. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

On 11/10/2022 at 2:46 PM, Brad_ATX said:

It was a combination of Trump candidates and Dobbs.  Lots of folks discounting how important that decision was to driving turnout from 18-29 year olds and women.

Yep. Trump actually voiced caution about how to respond to Dobbs. This is on those folks totally out of touch with where most folks, especially women, are.

• Like 2

I hope that people have learned their lesson that "my neighbor is my enemy" is bad politics. So is forcing things down voters throats that they don't want.

The overwhelming majority of citizens want peace. Not this silly culture war crap. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BizTiger said:

I hope that people have learned their lesson that "my neighbor is my enemy" is bad politics. So is forcing things down voters throats that they don't want.

The overwhelming majority of citizens want peace. Not this silly culture war crap. 

Do you believe *gender affirming care* (puberty blockers, cross hormone therapy and top/bottom surgery) should be allowed to minors?  Do you believe in abortion up to the moment of birth?  Do you believe we should teach gender identity in K-3 grade?

Or should we just let whatever cultural construct rule the day?

• Facepalm 1

Utilmately the reason for the GOP losses started in 2016 with the people who voted for trump the first time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you believe *gender affirming care* (puberty blockers, cross hormone therapy and top/bottom surgery) should be allowed to minors?  Do you believe in abortion up to the moment of birth?  Do you believe we should teach gender identity in K-3 grade?

I don't care how anyone else exercises their freedoms as long as it doesn't harm me and mine. Period. End of story.

No one who considers themselves a conservative should be liberal about pushing their desires on other people. Period. End of story. 

• Like 1

These are lies.  Oh yeah, you forgot the other lie,,, the dreaded CRT.

Only stupid people believe this stuff.  Pure fear mongering.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

Trump only has as much power and influence as the Republican party and conservatives are willing to give him. 

A bit worrying that the ONLY reasons many Trump fans are turning against him now are because they are mad he said bad things about DeSantis and that he picked losers in the most recent election. 

Conservatives haven't really learned anything and are primed to pick a new "Trump" with similar personality, goals, and traits to make their King, but just in another...maybe less orange...skin. 

• Like 1

They wont two take all our guns away form us.

They aint nothing but communists.

They hate America.

They done rigged our elections.

They wont open borders.

They got a war on white christian mails.

You missed so many lies,,, thought I would help you out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

I don't care how anyone else exercises their freedoms as long as it doesn't harm me and mine. Period. End of story.

No one who considers themselves a conservative should be liberal about pushing their desires on other people. Period. End of story. 

Just to confirm; you are ok with whatever culture of the day is ok with you as long as it doesn’t harm you or yours, is this correct?

I consider myself as a conservative and I believe pushing gender identity on my children without my permission is pushing leftist desires on other people.  Can you see the other side of your statement.

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

But the best lie of all time,,, them poor, powerless people done took all our money.  They made us have a deficit.  Them social programs is communism.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

24 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

These are lies.  Oh yeah, you forgot the other lie,,, the dreaded CRT.

Only stupid people believe this stuff.  Pure fear mongering.

I have proven to you these are not lies, you just choose to ignore the facts.  Not fear mongering.

• Haha 2