Who is the last QB that developed at Auburn?

cbo

Was it Jason Campbell? 2004 was a loooong time ago. 

I'm not talking about a QB that had a good year or two. I love Nick Marshall, and credit to Gus for putting him in the right offensive scheme at the time to excel the way he did. But I'm not sure he developed much as a QB. 

Stidham was solid, but was worse in year 2 than year 1. 

Nix improved last year but wasn't anything special. 

The more I think about it, the more I prioritize the next HC candidate based on his ability to give us a quality QB. Ideally, someone that can bring in a good transfer, while developing Geriner or another young guy. QB's get injured all the time and we need a decent backup.

We talk about the OL all the time for good reason. While we rebuild that mess, we need a good QB that can cover up some deficiencies. We need an offense that is fun to watch again. It's been a long time.

• Like 4

Maybe Chris Todd? Because since then:

Cam - only one season

Trotter - no

Moseley - no

Marshall - nope

Kiehl Frazier - nah

Jeremy Johnson - no

Nix - not here, but yeah

TJ - no

Edited by banditmwp
  • Like 1

Developed? I'd say Jason Campbell. But as far as making something out of nothing -- Chris Todd. Nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- expected him to improve that much.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, banditmwp said:

Maybe Chris Todd? Because since then:

Cam - only one season

Trotter - no

Moseley - no

Marshall - nope

Kiehl Frazier - nah

Jeremy Johnson - no

Nix - not here, but yeah

TJ - no

Todd was pretty good. Hell, I'd kill for him now. Hard for me to say he improved at AU. 

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Brandon Cox remains under appreciated in my opinion. He was a multi year starter and had some limitations with a muscular disease. But he was very solid and consistent and got better each season. Stats dipped senior year but he was playing behind a freshman heavy o line. 29-9 as a starter. 

Cox was good overall. Won a lot of games. But again, hard to say he improved when his senior year was his worst year. Good point about the Oline, though. 

He had some major problems in his last 2 games against UGA. 

• Like 1

It might be Campbell.  Outside of the 5 int GaTech game Cox started pretty solid.  He actually got worse as the talent around him declined in 2007.  Wasn’t Todd hurt in 2008?  NM was technically a better Qb in year 2.  Sean White got better year over year from 2015-2016.  Stidham went backwards, Nix got better as he went.  

• Like 3

One could argue that Nick Marshall developed.   I believe he was a better QB in 2014 than in 2013. 
The thought of what could’ve been that year if our defense had a pulse!🤦‍♂️

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Football fans always talk about “developing QB’s” but I don’t think most football fans even knows what that means

I don't know the first thing about how to develop a QB. I don't know how to teach mechanics, X's and O's, whatever. 

What I do know is when a QB sucks. And I've seen a lot of QB's suck over 4 different coaching staffs. 

• Haha 2

Why does Alabama have successful QBs? A great OL. Nobody can progress behind an OL that literally has 4 guys in the backfield at the snap. You can’t juke your way out of that even if physically gifted. Joe burrow and Bruce young would look like Bo Nix if they played here.

You can develop guys but they can’t put anything to use with no time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, alexava said:

Bo Nix

Like I said in the OP, Nix got better last season. But he still had the same old problems. Couldn't hit anyone deep, scrambled too early. I'm looking for demonstrable improvement by a QB while they were at AU. 

You could see signs of good coaching in Nix last year. Now, was that from Bobo or Harsin I do not know. But, even though it wasn't good enough, he had better footwork and tried to stay in the pocket at times. Most of us knew it would take time. Hard to make an astronomical leap in one offseason, but he did take positive steps last year 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Brandon Cox remains under appreciated in my opinion. He was a multi year starter and had some limitations with a muscular disease. But he was very solid and consistent and got better each season. Stats dipped senior year but he was playing behind a freshman heavy o line. 29-9 as a starter. 

@Gowebb11 Spot on with Brandon Cox.

• Like 2

Look at Nick Marshall's time at UGA. He was a DB. Then look at Nick Marshall's stats at JUCO. (More interceptions than TDs) Then look at his two years at AU. There can be no question but that Marshall "developed" at Auburn.

• Like 5

If you want qbs with skills to develop first focus on the LOS. Build it and they will come. 

9 hours ago, cbo said:

I don't know the first thing about how to develop a QB. I don't know how to teach mechanics, X's and O's, whatever. 

What I do know is when a QB sucks. And I've seen a lot of QB's suck over 4 different coaching staffs. 

Auburn didn’t have 1st round picks coming through left and right but not everybody “sucked”. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cbo said:

Like I said in the OP, Nix got better last season. But he still had the same old problems. Couldn't hit anyone deep, scrambled too early. I'm looking for demonstrable improvement by a QB while they were at AU. 

QB play and OL play goes hand and hand. When is the last time Auburn had a good OL?

• Like 1