Who is the last QB that developed at Auburn?

cbo

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

Statistically Marshall didn't make any tremendous jumps or strides.

So, going from a DB to a QB with more interceptions than TD's to what Marshall did at Auburn isn't improvement? You should stick to bashing Bo Nix, at least we know where that is coming from.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

You’re going to have to cut him some slack. He’s probably just venting because UCF won again today, over another ranked team, propelling Gus out of the top 25 and into the top 20 and you know how upset that makes him.

Who's brought Gus up?  It certainly wasn't me.  Maybe your should readjust your view about who is obsessed about Gus.

Gus was a great man and ambassador for Auburn. Fact  Gus is also a great lower division coach. What's your point? 

Gus sucked the last the life out of Auburn the last 6 years of his tenure. Fact is he averaged over 4.3 losses a season at Auburn and if you remove his initial season, he averaged 4.7.  The apathy was at an all time high. He ran the program I to the ground and got fired.  Those are facts and you continue to defend your Daddy like he's the greatest ever. HE FAILED AT AUBURN AND WAS FIRED BECAUSE OF IT. NO OTHER REASON. SOLELY BASED ON JOB PERFORMANCE.

Also, just like you're buddy. None of the crap you are posting is relevant to any of these discussions about QB development. You just continue to perpetuate your sad and petty act. 

Typical of the both of you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What's being discussed in this thread is QB development. My posts were spot-on.

Unintentional? That's quite a coincidence. You just happened to forget a guy who went from DB to borderline QB in JUCO to one of the more successful QB's in AU history? Your dishonesty amazes me.

I didn't say Campbell didn't develop. I said he was a high quality prospect from the day he signed with AU. Of course he got batter, as would be expected from every college player regardless of position.

No, they were an attempt to distract form the criticism that we haven't developed a QB in the last decade and Gus was a major part of that. Moreso than any other coach during that time. That's a fact.

Sad and telling you only latched on to me missing one of his QBs but are absolutely unconcerned with the one I forgot that further proves my case that he sucked at QB evaluation and development.

That said, my list of QBs had nothing to do with Gus except that they were recruited and enrolled while Gus was coach.  Why didn't you say s*** about the failures under Tub, Chiz, or Harsin? Not a word! You are so hardwired and obsessed to defend Gus thar you lose all sight of objectivity or rational thought.  

Again, no one was attacking or talking about Gus.  You and 24 brought him into it. Check y'all's own obsessions at the door.

P.S.  

GUS WAS FIRED FOR HIS JOB PERFORMANCE AT AUBURN. NOTHING YOU OR YOUR BUDDY SAY WILL EVER CHANGE THAT.  GUS FAILED AUBURN AND Y'ALL DEFEND HIM FOR IT.  YOUR FANDOM IS ROUTINELY DISPLAYED AND NOTICEABLY MISPLACED.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

GUS WAS FIRED FOR HIS JOB PERFORMANCE AT AUBURN. NOTHING YOU OR YOUR BUDDY SAY WILL EVER CHANGE THAT.  GUS FAILED AUBURN AND Y'ALL DEFEND HIM FOR IT.  YOUR FANDOM IS ROUTINELY DISPLAYED AND NOTICEABLY MISPLACED.

Auburn's all time won/loss record: .627 winning percentage

Gus's winning percentage at AU: .656

You have an odd way of defining failure.

Speaking of failure, you are one of those who, when Harsin lost 20 scholarship players to the portal, said those leaving were slackers and guys who wouldn't get with Harsin's culture. How'd that age?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Speaking of failure, you are one of those who, when Harsin lost 20 scholarship players to the portal, said those leaving were slackers and guys who wouldn't get with Harsin's culture. How'd that age?

Again, look at you changing the subject and trying to deflect. Gus averaged over 4 losses a year for 8 years and was fired from Auburn because of his lack of success and the trajectory he was driving the program.

However, none of what I just said or what you posted is relevant to this discussion, but you know that. It's what you do.

Tubs developed Campbell and somewhat Cox 

Chiz didn't develop one

Gus failed to develop 14/15 QBs and Marshall didn't develop as a QB, he was just a freak athlete that was good at what he was asked to do and because of that, he is an all time great at AU.

Harsin started to improve Bo

You're obsession over Gus is stupid.

Just so you don't forget...

47 minutes ago, bigbird said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

So, going from a DB to a QB with more interceptions than TD's to what Marshall did at Auburn isn't improvement? You should stick to bashing Bo Nix, at least we know where that is coming from.

You must not understand what the word statistical mean.....you should stick to hating on everything that you do, we know where your hate come from. If only all players mattered to you the way that Bo does.....we know where that comes from too

See you at the Sanders thread hating coincidentally the way taking the same side on the same theme the way you have always done.....

Edited by cole256

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Aren't you supposed to be on a nice, relaxing fishing trip or something like that to forget all about Gus as you suggested in another thread?  And here you are regurgitating useless Gus stats again.  For the record, a .656 win percentage is not evidence of success.  It's defines middling & mediocre.  Ol' Mediocre Malzahn was (in)famous for prohibiting his QBs from attending any off-season QB camps lest they actually ... you know, develop new QB skills.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Aren't you supposed to be on a nice, relaxing fishing trip or something like that to forget all about Gus as you suggested in another thread? 

Another instance of lying from this dude. The same guy who was suppose to quit watching college football in its entirety because of the NIL as well. At least he is consistent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:10 AM, Tiger said:

Jason Campbell. 

Brandon Cox seemed to take a step back each year. 

Kodi went to WR

Chris Todd improved big time from first to second season

Nick Marshall stayed about the same from Jr to senior year. Marginal improvement. 

Jeremy Johnson major regression from freshman year

Sean White marginal improvement at best

Stidham regressed from first to second season

And Bo Nix is balling now at Oregon. We have have mediocre QB play for way too long

Nick def looked better as a passer his second season compared to his first. No idea if the stars back me up but it felt that way to me just going off of memory.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Whether you agree he should have been fired or not, he was and most were ready to move on.

8 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Aren't you supposed to be on a nice, relaxing fishing trip or something like that to forget all about Gus as you suggested in another thread?

No. I suggested that for the haters who can't stop bringing Gus up. Me, I don't need it, I'm too amused by laughing at those who denied Harsin's failures long after the entire rest of the world could see them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Another instance of lying from this dude. The same guy who was suppose to quit watching college football in its entirety because of the NIL as well. At least he is consistent. 

You are now telling that lie for the fourth time. Of course, I didn't say that. Most liars change to a different story when they are caught out. You seem to be incapable of dreaming up another falsehood.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Whether you agree he should have been fired or not, he was and most were ready to move on.

I agree it was time for a change and have never said it wasn't. What I did warn about was that we'd probably go through several head coaches before we found one that would stick. One down and some unknown number to go. In spite of all the praise for his meaningless "culture change", Harsin was a failure of a magnitude much greater than Gus ever reached.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

Who's brought Gus up?  It certainly wasn't me.  Maybe your should readjust your view about who is obsessed about Gus.

Gus was a great man and ambassador for Auburn. Fact  Gus is also a great lower division coach. What's your point? 

Gus sucked the last the life out of Auburn the last 6 years of his tenure. Fact is he averaged over 4.3 losses a season at Auburn and if you remove his initial season, he averaged 4.7.  The apathy was at an all time high. He ran the program I to the ground and got fired.  Those are facts and you continue to defend your Daddy like he's the greatest ever. HE FAILED AT AUBURN AND WAS FIRED BECAUSE OF IT. NO OTHER REASON. SOLELY BASED ON JOB PERFORMANCE.

Also, just like you're buddy. None of the crap you are posting is relevant to any of these discussions about QB development. You just continue to perpetuate your sad and petty act. 

Typical of the both of you 

Don’t worry, I’m cutting you some slack. I understand your hurting.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

No. I suggested that for the haters who can't stop bringing Gus up. Me, I don't need it, I'm too amused by laughing at those who denied Harsin's failures long after the entire rest of the world could see them.

That is what I don’t think the haters understand about me. 😂 Most of the time I am laughing, and in some cases laughing out loud as I post the stuff. 

Honestly, if I was as miserable as some of these Gus Haters, I don’t think I would even be a football fan.  Life is too short, why live miserable when one can prevent it?

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Then for the umpteenth, thousandth time, move on when you have a better coach lined up! Especially as we find out Stoops interviewed for the job, and Lane Kiffin expressed interest in it. (In 2020)

I shouldn’t speak for Mikey, but for the most part, that is all we are saying.

• Like 1

Lets run an experiment.  

Our previous 2 regimes ran this program into the ground.  The last decade of Auburn football is the lowest the program has ever been. The lack of roster management, retention, and development was an absolute failure and that started in 2016-17 and is directly related to why we are needing to bring in 40-45 players this cycle.  

No matter what Mikey said, our OL hasn't had anything resembling depth in a while and that also corresponds directly to the terrible QB development we had the last ~ decade.  

We haven't had a HS QB develop into anything while at Auburn since Campbell. Some transferred and became significantly better. That would indicate that the coaching they were receiving at Auburn was not adequate.  That's a failure of coaching, either through evaluation or development.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Lets run an experiment.  

Our previous 2 regimes ran this program into the ground.  The last decade of Auburn football is the lowest the program has ever been. The lack of roster management, retention, and development was an absolute failure and that started in 2016-17 and is directly related to why we are needing to bring in 40-45 players this cycle.  

No matter what Mikey said, our OL hasn't had anything resembling depth in a while and that also corresponds directly to the terrible QB development we had the last ~ decade.  

We haven't had a HS QB develop into anything while at Auburn since Campbell. Some transferred and became significantly better. That would indicate that the coaching they were receiving at Auburn was not adequate.  That's a failure of coaching, either through evaluation or development.

Maybe the last 5 years have been a little tough but I wouldn’t say the lowest.  Auburn has played for a Natty and two SEC titles in that time frame winning one.  2012 and this season are really the only black eye seasons in that time frame.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Maybe the last 5 years have been a little tough but I wouldn’t say the lowest.  Auburn has played for a Natty and two SEC titles in that time frame winning one.  2012 and this season are really the only black eye seasons in that time frame.  

2011-12, 2015-2022 has been the lowest I can remember.  Even in 2017 we lost 4 games and we're embarrassed by UGA and OU to end the year.  The apathy was at an all time high.  Money had dried up, everything was stagnant.  Mediocrity is the killer of programs 

• Like 1

I am not saying in any way that Nick Marshall was developed while at Auburn, but from this game, it looks like he improved from 2013. It's amazing how good a QB can look when he has time to throw. 

Edited by maryland tiger
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

I agree it was time for a change and have never said it wasn't. What I did warn about was that we'd probably go through several head coaches before we found one that would stick. One down and some unknown number to go. In spite of all the praise for his meaningless "culture change", Harsin was a failure of a magnitude much greater than Gus ever reached.

I agree with this completely. I think everyone does. I also agree that AU has to move on to continue to try to find its next successful coach. Hopefully, we get it right in our 2nd try ( which would be better than the average I would guess). You also probably nailed this years win total.

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I agree with this completely. I think everyone does. I also agree that AU has to move on to continue to try to find its next successful coach. Hopefully, we get it right in our 2nd try ( which would be better than the average I would guess). You also probably nailed this years win total.

I did run the numbers two years ago, around the time Gus was fired. The average for SEC teams was around 4.5 coaches between those the school considered a success. For example, in spite of all their money and influence plus cheating by the REC, Bammer went through 5 head coaches between Stallings and Saban. A&M, who has more money than God, is currently on their 5th after R. C. Slocum. Overall, it's not a happy picture.

We can only hope AU gets lucky (again). Dye, Bowden, Tuberville, Chiz/Gus, all did reasonably well considering what the odds are. Harsin is more the norm than not.

• Like 2

I can pull film from Marshall in 2013 making some of the most unbelievable passes on the move I've ever seen. He was just an unbelievable athlete. 

So most people know he played db as well so in their mind they go to the ol he's a db and disregard that he also had tools to be a QB as well. It's just you have some coaches who embrace the tools and you have some coaches who don't and will not give the opportunity.

The game has changed in a way now you would be an idiot to not at least look at the talent now. It's actually similar to basketball. At one point of time if a guy was 6'8" especially in Alabama you were sending him straight to the post. Some of the most special basketball players to ever play the game was lucky to play under coaches who saw much more than that and let them break molds and not have limitations to being great.

I remember not too long ago on this board if a guy was athletic you could guarantee there would be people saying change his position from QB. If he was super athletic everybody was automatically going to say they couldn't throw accurately or can't read a defense......luckily we are getting away from that now.....a little 😂

I'm going Campbell. Didn't he have three or four offensive coordinators or something like that in his four years at Auburn and was still selected in the first round. If I recall, that theme of learning new schemes continued in the NFL with various coaching changes for him.

• Like 1