SIAP but this is astounding

ellitor

Per Keith at On3 we are now expecting to bing in around 45 new players for next season between high schoolers, juco, & the portal.

Top 30 The Rock GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Per Keith at On3 we are now expecting to bing in around 45 new players for next season between high schoolers, juco, & the portal.

Top 30 The Rock GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

And we will need every one of them.

• Like 5

Lucky for us, the NCAA has removed the annual limit of 25 signees for this cycle. In any previous year we couldn't have done this. We still have to stay under the overall 85 limit, so there's that.

Now, hoping to bring in 45 is well and good. Being able to find 45 SEC quality players willing to come to Auburn is an entirely different story. We will be very, very late to the game and the new coach will have to hit the ground running.

I'd be delighted if we could bring in 30 quality players but I'm thinking that's a stretch. 30's a stretch, 45 is a pipe dream. Other teams will be after good players too.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Lucky for us, the NCAA has removed the annual limit of 25 signees for this cycle. In any previous year we couldn't have done this. We still have to stay under the overall 85 limit, so there's that.

Now, hoping to bring in 45 is well and good. Being able to find 45 SEC quality players willing to come to Auburn is an entirely different story. We will be very, very late to the game and the new coach will have to hit the ground running.

I'd be delighted if we could bring in 30 quality players but I'm thinking that's a stretch. 30's a stretch, 45 is a pipe dream. Other teams will be after good players too.

You are so right Mikey. Anyone (including CBH) can sign 45. What separates the good recruiters from the bad is can they get 25 to 30 SEC quality players or even contributors? I wonder where Keith gets that 45 number. Our current coaching staff may not be involved in the recruiting process at all after the Iron Bowl. New staff may not agree with the current recruiting board. It's going to take some time to put together a staff with most top tier assistant coaches busy preparing for bowl games. We just need to keep the faith. Somehow it will all work out. Auburn is still Auburn.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Getting THE RIGHT new HC on board as soon as possible is HUGE for this!!!!!!!!   Of our top names mentioned, Lane has proven he can win the portal!   Deion can win recruiting!!!   We need to win both!!!

@Mikey has a great point. I looked at the 2023 classes of the 2 teams that have had the biggest turn arounds in the SEC in the Vols and LSU as well as the "Protal King" Kiffin's Rebels. They all respectively took 31, 30, & 35 players in their classes. So a 45 SEC quality class for us may be a near imposibility.

• Like 1

That sounds too high. 45 new players in 1 year; about twice what we've ever had - to do so, Auburn better find the right head coach and start handing out $100 bills. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 8:50 AM, ellitor said:

@Mikey has a great point. I looked at the 2023 classes of the 2 teams that have had the biggest turn arounds in the SEC in the Vols and LSU as well as the "Protal King" Kiffin's Rebels. They all respectively took 31, 30, & 35 players in their classes. So a 45 SEC quality class for us may be a near imposibility.

Were those classes portal only or portal + HS kids? OP is portal+HS+JUCO

Question.  Could it be Alot more than that?  with Seniors graduating, and Covid Eligibility ending(?)

Juniors leaving early for NFL

Players not brought back (Annual Scholarship) (New Coach) (Red Shirts) (Grey Shirts)

Most programs have around 100-120 out early on with Invited walkons

46 minutes ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

Question.  Could it be Alot more than that? 

@tightendoverthemiddleUnlikely. Would be hard to fnd more than that who would be SEC caliber. Especially since from the HS level we are expected to land on about 15-18.

• 2 weeks later...

With 45 players, you can definitely take those that normally would be wait and see offers.  Get those building depth with upside pieces when they are there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AUBwins said:

With 45 players, you can definitely take those that normally would be wait and see offers.  Get those building depth with upside pieces when they are there. 

First off, to add 45 scholarship players, the returning roster would have to be at no more than 40. I don't think we'll be that low. The limit has nothing to do with the number 45. This year, the number of new signees is unlimited. The catch is that the roster cannot go over the 85 limit.

I don't think we'll have 45 open slots and we better hope we don't. Should we get that low we certainly will not be able to find 45 SEC quality players at this late date. They aren't available.

Edited by Mikey

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

First off, to add 45 scholarship players, the returning roster would have to be at no more than 40. I don't think we'll be that low. The limit has nothing to do with the number 45. This year, the number of new signees is unlimited. The catch is that the roster cannot go over the 85 limit.

I don't think we'll have 45 open slots and we better hope we don't. Should get that low we certainly will not be able to find 45 SEC quality players at this late date. They aren't available.

I see your point but I'm pretty sure that number was generated because of the available spots knowing we can't go over 85. I agree that is an egregious number of spots to fill.  And I wouldn't expect all to be SEC caliber this year.  Some may never hit the field.  But still can get emergency depth. 

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I see your point but I'm pretty sure that number was generated because of the available spots knowing we can't go over 85.

I think whoever came up with that number based it on the 20 players leaving through the portal last year. Harsin is gone and we shouldn't have anywhere near that many losses this off-season. I guess one of us is going to have to bite the bullet, count players who won't be here next year due to graduation or NFL and go from there.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I think whoever came up with that number based it on the 20 players leaving through the portal last year. Harsin is gone and we shouldn't have anywhere near that many losses this off-season. I guess one of us is going to have to bite the bullet, count players who won't be here next year due to graduation or NFL and go from there.

We'll leave that to @Zeek. It's his domain. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I did it at one point. Keith and ON3 believe it’s 45 total additions. Really 44 with King coming back. Then subtract the kids we have committed (assuming they stay). We’re losing a lot of COVID super seniors.

• Thanks 2