Men vs South Florida

tgrogan21

USF with another layup and-1. Flan with the foul. USF got away with a push, imo. Missed the FT.

67-59 AU Green slips and turns it over on the rebound. I just want this game to end.

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

Also, how about we stop playing USF. Tired of playing down to them.

This. I think people are forgetting a trip to Tampa last year that we were *very* fortunate to come out of with a win

• Like 2

Wins are hard to come by some nights.  These boys dug deep and won a game that they could have easily lost.  I hope they grew up some.  We have a lot of question marks still.  Can't wait to see Chance Westry play. I loved him with the ball in his hands while they were in Israel.  He is definitely a difference maker.

1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

yay

67-59 Auburn wins. Glad that's over. Have to take care of the ball, have to stop shooting so many damn 3s, and Broome needs to be better.

5/25 from three point line. Abysmal. At one point we were shooting 14% from three. Have to get better there and at playing more physical down low.  

Love the fight back we always see in the second half of games. I know it’s early but this team is going to have to improve tremendously on the offensive side of the ball. We’ve got to develop a better game underneath because we know we ain’t got it from outside. Broome is going to have to do a complete 180. 

• Love 1

Hopefully Westry’s 3 ball is on when he gets back

right now, it appears that you don’t really have a shooting threat out of more than 2, maybe 3 players max. And I think you need to keep Flanigan as a a bench leader and stabilizer.
So until Chance can take Chris’s spot, I think we’ll just have to accept these 3 point numbers from the starting unit 

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hopefully Westry’s 3 ball is on when he gets back

right now, it appears that you don’t really have a shooting threat out of more than 2, maybe 3 players max. And I think you need to keep Flanigan as a a bench leader and stabilizer.
So until Chance can take Chris’s spot, I think we’ll just have to accept these 3 point numbers from the starting unit 

Right now, Moore deserves to start. I would but Chance in at the 2 and put Zep on the bench. I love him but right now we need offense ... bad. And Zep gives us nothing on offense.

Liked seeing Tre Donaldson run the show during Wendell Green's foul trouble that kept him on the bench in the first half

Flan really saved us when nobody else could score

It seemed like roles were being defined a bit more tonight as Wendell stepped up big down the stretch

Broome had an off night offensively but still was bothering shots

Chris Moore had tough buckets when we needed them

Cardwell brought the energy as usual

Glad we faced some adversity and came out through it but when conference play starts we will likely have to win some ugly, close, low scoring battles

Well we got the dub which is the most important thing. Several guys had forgetful nights and hopefully will show up next game. Couple guys got hot at the right time and that’s the reason why we win tonight. Lot to work on but we 2-0. 

Edited by NoALtiger

As a team this was not a good showing. I thought Tre played well. Flan was better than I have seen him in a while. Good to get a W, but we have some work to do.

6 minutes ago, thewhiz7 said:

As a team this was not a good showing. I thought Tre played well. Flan was better than I have seen him in a while. Good to get a W, but we have some work to do.

New players in a new year and they are figuring it out. UCF isn’t a push over team. Could have lost the game but they pushed through. Let’s give them some more time to gel

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Right now, Moore deserves to start. I would but Chance in at the 2 and put Zep on the bench. I love him but right now we need offense ... bad. And Zep gives us nothing on offense.

Probably can’t go wrong with that move, I just think the most realistic move is with Moore being benched, but he definitely brings some offensive value when the opportunity is given 

watching the game now…why did I just watch Johni Broome shoot a 3 man 

we’re not even in the phase in last year where teams realized we couldn’t do anything if they just plugged our pick and rolls. We’re not running any pick and rolls hardly!! I don’t get it 

That was some terrible officiating... Flan played better scoring wise but needs to clean up the mental mistakes. Wendell is Wendell. Could use less TO's from him. We need KD to play better. Really believe Westry is going to give us a spark offensively that we need. Good win but an ugly one one. 

If we trot that mess out on the court with most of the SEC teams, we are going to leave with a loss.   Harsh, but that was some ugly basketball.  Its early and Chance will return soon, but let's hope we do a lot of growing up in the next couple of weeks.

Positive and negatives from the game. Our supposedly weakest position 3 (SF) - Flanigan and Moore were two of the three best players on the floor. Moore was 3-3 from the field with 5 boards and did not shoot a 3. Flanigan was 6-10 from the floor total with 3-6 from 3PT and 4 boards. We got 25 Points and 9 boards from the 3 Position.   Next was Greene had a weak 1st half only scored 2 points threw up a lot of 3's in first half but came on strong in 2nd half was 5-11 total with 1-5 from 3 with 4 boards and 4 assists. Tre in only 11 minutes was 2-3 one miss was a 3 and added 2 boards and 2 assists. Cardwell played with his usual energy stat wise was not great but impacted the game. That is the good.

The bad 5-25 on 3's. Players who can't shoot 3's are throwing them up like they are great shooters. Turnovers all over the place not boxing out on the boards Broome looked horrible only decent area was 8 boards no points weak going to basket. I have seen his film from last year he is a better player then what he is doing. I think he needs a weak off to get ankle healthy. Williams poor shooting night but did have 8 boards. Traore ok in 13 minutes 2-4 from floor but 1-3 from 3 pt. He is a big needs to be shooting inside more and outside less but 1-3 on 3pt is better then most of the team. Jasper was shooting bricks 0-4 shooting 3 of them were 3's.  KD was 0-4 shooting 2 were 3's and no assists. He was playing out of control again. KD is either really good or really bad. FT shooting was abysmal looks a little better then it was because of Greene.

Assuming we get Westry back based on how we are playing at each position we need him at the 2.  He can shoot the 3 but he also shoots mid-range shots and goes to the rim. With his ball handling skills, size at the 2 and all round offensive game he can help us a lot at 2 so we can cut down the minutes of some of our other 2's  at least until they show improvement. I love KD's defensive effort and hustle but he needs to play under control and when he drives look for other players if he does that he is an asset if he doesn't his PT will need to go down. Jasper has a nice stroke he needs a couple to fall and he will be an asset at the 2.  Greene and Tre at the 1 is looking good as Greene had a bad 1st half but adjusted and had a monster 2nd half.  If Broome's ankle is not allowing him to play his game he needs to rest as we will need him in the SEC.  While Broome is healing we need to limit his minutes and use Cardwell and Williams at the 5 with Williams and Traore at the 4 and we need Traore to be a little more assertive as he has all the skills but needs to show it. Jaylin needs to play within himself and shoot fewer 3's he has a vey solid inside game.

I know everybody is down on Broome right now but he is a lot better then he has looked so far give him time to get healthy as I think he is a double digit type guy on both boards and scoring when healthy who can also defend the rim.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1