Men vs South Florida

tgrogan21

Was at the game last night and I have to say it was the worst officiated game I've ever witnessed and I have a generally low opinion of basketball officiating already.  I don't know what on earth that bunch was looking at half the time.  It was almost like they were doing it on purpose it was so bad at times.

I'm not blaming it all on the refs.  We shot atrociously in the first half.  But even with the s***ty shooting in the 1st half, that game is an 18-20 point win with competent (not biased toward us) officiating.  The league should be embarrassed.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Positive and negatives from the game. Our supposedly weakest position 3 (SF) - Flanigan and Moore were two of the three best players on the floor. Moore was 3-3 from the field with 5 boards and did not shoot a 3. Flanigan was 6-10 from the floor total with 3-6 from 3PT and 4 boards. W got 25 Points and 9 boards from the 3 Position.   Next was Greene had a weak 1st half only score 2 points threw up a lot of 3's in first half but came on strong in 2nd half was 5-11 total with 1-5 from 3 with 4 boars and 4 assists. Tre in only 11 minutes was 2-3 one miss was a 3 and added 2 boards and 2 assists. Cardwell played with his usual energy stat wise was not great but impacted the game. That is the good.

The bad 5-25 on 3's. Players who can't shoot 3's are throwing them up like they are great shooters. Turnovers all over the place not boxing out on the boards Broome looked horrible only decent area was 8 boards no points weak going to basket. I have seen his film from last year he is a better player then what he is doing. I think he needs a wek off to get ankle healthy. Williams poor shooting night but did have 8 boards. Traore ok in 13 minutes 2-4 from floor but 1-3 from 3 pt. He is a big needs to be shooting inside more and outside less but 1-3 on 3pt is better then most of the team. Jasper was shooting bricks 0-4 shooting 3 of them were 3's.  KD was 0-4 shooting 2 were 3's and no assists. He was playing out of control again. KD is either really good or really bad. FT shooting was abysmal looks a little better then it was because of Greene.

Assuming we get Westry back based on how we are playing at each position we need him as the 2.  He can shoot the 3 but he also shoots mid-range shots and goes to the rim. With his ball handling skills, size at the 2 and all round offensive game he can help us a lot at 2 so we can cut down the minutes of some of our other 2's  at least until they show improvement. I love KD's defensive effort and hustle but he needs to play under control and when he drives look for other players if he does that he is an asset if he doesn't his PT will need to go down. Jasper has a nice stroke he needs a couple to fall and he will be an asset at the 2.  Greene and Tre at the 1 is looking good as Greene hada bad 1st half but adjusted and had a monster 2nd half.  If Broome's ankle is not allowing him to play his game he needs to rest as we will need him in the SEC.  While Broome is healing we need to limit his minutes and use Cardwell and Williams at the 5 with Williams and Traore at the 4 and we need Traore to be a little more assertive and he has all the skills but needs to show it. Jaylin needs to play within himself and shoot fewer 3's he has a vey solid inside game.

I know everybody is down on Broome right now but he is a lot better then he has looked so far give him time to get healthy as I think he is a double digit type guy on both boards and scoring when healthy who can also defend the rim.

Traore ideally would be doing more in big fashion, but I  feel like every lineup they have him in is with another center. 
It’s kinda like the Jabari conundrum from last year…does Jabari not have a paint presence because of the things around him (poor guard passing, bad spacing, being a 4 in every lineup, etc), or is it because of his game? 

I like to think Traore can be a threat rolling to the rim or even working face up right by the rim. We just need to see him be allowed to 

This Auburn team is going to very good a month from now.  They are just working out how to play together right now with the new line-ups being put into the game. Broome is injured and according to Coach Pearl not able to jump off of his left ankle.  That would be a big problem for anyone, and much more so for a big man playing inside.  They shot the ball terribly and had a lot of unforced turnovers but still managed to win the game against a team that played very hard and has some talent and size in USF.  I think if we can get Jaylin more involved somehow offensively that will make a big difference as well.  He is just a tiny bit away from knocking down the 3s he is taking, and if he gains a little more confidence with his mid-range shooting watch out as I think he is good for 6 to 8 points a game in that area.  All in all a good 2nd game for a team that is finding a completely new identity from last year.    

20 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

New players in a new year and they are figuring it out. UCF isn’t a push over team. Could have lost the game but they pushed through. Let’s give them some more time to gel

Agree completely. Not downing the team at all. I'm very excited for this year. We will get better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

Some of the in game comments are embarrassing. One frigging half. one frigging half of poor basketball, and the melt down of some posters begins. 

Some need to become familiar with the song “Jumper” 

Ugly shooting night from our guards I understand the reactions but let's not go too far. Zep and KD both have more than 500 college 3pt attempts and are historically 37%ish shooters. They won't shoot this bad all season. They aren't great, but will get going at some point. Good to see AF look more in rhythm and Green in control in the second half. 

Nice second half adjustment to the USF zone scheme that led to some easy buckets. Good free throw shooting down the stretch. Great activity on defense. The most worrisome thing I was was the poor rebounding and being too loose with the ball. Clearly Broome's ankle isn't' right. Liked the way Donaldson looks as the backup 1. Don't want to see his minutes dropped with Westry returns. Right now we need Westry at the 2, as I have speculated. Does CBP move Zep back to the 1, and sit Donaldson? Where does Westry get his minutes? we will find out soon.