Caddy for coach?

SaturdayGT

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I guess for me, I don't see a hands down slam dunk hire out there.  And given that, I'd rather give Caddy a look at minimum.

Dude can recruit.  His players are busting their asses.  And the gameplan tonight was strong.  If Robby can throw at all, we win by 20.

Jury is still out for sure, but it would be stupid to pass on him without at least seeing what his long term vision looks like.

I'm the say way.  I keep hearing that Auburn is going to pay Lane 10 million/year to get him from Ole Miss.  I think Lane is a good offensive coach but I also can see Lane not achieving the goals most Auburn fans have for him and being stuck with him similar to Jimbo at TaMu.  8-4, not beating Bama, not recruiting well, all portal.  I get Ole Miss isn't Auburn but he's recruited in the bottom 1/3 if not worse the past 2 years.  I'd rather pay Freeze a lower amount but I'm also worried Freeze is a poor man Gus.  I just see so much more upside to Caddy and its not an emotional decision as much as what I see from the players and fans.  Isn't this what everybody has wanted for the past 2 years?  Someone to unite the fan base?  Someone to get the buy in?  Give Caddy an Oline and a decent QB and he's a good coach and leader of men.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I guess for me, I don't see a hands down slam dunk hire out there.  And given that, I'd rather give Caddy a look at minimum.

Dude can recruit.  His players are busting their asses.  And the gameplan tonight was strong.  If Robby can throw at all, we win by 20.

Jury is still out for sure, but it would be stupid to pass on him without at least seeing what his long term vision looks like.

And he can recruit as part of the next coach's staff. 

We just beat possibly the worst team in the league this year - who were minus their top RB and top WR and playing their 3rd string QB...by 3 points.  I'm happy the Auburn family showed up and showed out for this team.  I'm glad the Potato Gang and their cloud of gloom is gone.  Caddy is absolutely the right guy for this moment.  But it's not fair to put him in this job right now.  He's got all of 3 years of coaching experience at RB coach, not even a coordinator.  This kind of thinking is emotional thinking and it's a perfect way to ruin a beautiful thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My fear would be he would be set up for failure. The head coach needs connections to set up a staff and he only really know Auburn. His staff would probably have an AU flare and the fans would love it. However, would it be what AU needs? AU needs an infusion of talent to succeed next year and a plan in place to make it happen. They need a SEC level staff and a coach that hopefully has enough experience to build that plan. I would love to see Cadillac get more experience and one day be the Auburn coach we all believe he can be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

We just beat possibly the worst team in the league this year - who were minus their top RB and top WR and playing their 3rd string QB...by 3 points.  I'm happy the Auburn family showed up and showed out for this team.  I'm glad the Potato Gang and their cloud of gloom is gone.  Caddy is absolutely the right guy for this moment.  But it's not fair to put him in this job right now.  He's got all of 3 years of coaching experience at RB coach, not even a coordinator.  This kind of thinking is emotional thinking and it's a perfect way to ruin a beautiful thing.

Tell that to Clemson and Dabo.

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, selias said:

I'd be perfectly fine with Grimes. Have you actually looked into his coaching history/network and his recruiting wins?

Edit: @DAGstarting to feel like you're stalking me or have some sort of "Grimes" alert.  What don't you like about him beyond not being what you consider a "big name"?

Get over yourself . You are nobody to stalk. Read the seven thousand threads we have about the coaching searches 

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Tell that to Clemson and Dabo.

Come on man, we both know that's a bad narrative. Dabo had ~15 years of coaching before being tapped as HC at Clemson.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Get over yourself . You are nobody to stalk. Read the seven thousand threads we have about the coaching searches 

Cool, so you have a "Grimes" alert. Whenever he's mentioned, you have a reaction available.

Just now, selias said:

Come on man, we both know that's a bad narrative. Dabo had ~15 years of coaching before being tapped as HC at Clemson.

But zero coordinator or HC experience, which is what a ton of folks seem to think is the minimum requirement.  My point is, there are plenty of good to great coaches that were not HCs before getting their first job.

And if you want to hold it against Carnell for not having 15 years of coaching experience by 40 like Dabo, go ahead.  Dude spent a chunk of that in the NFL.  And that sells.

Just now, selias said:

Cool, so you have a "Grimes" alert. Whenever he's mentioned, you have a reaction available.

I have had 25 different reactions today including of people talking about Freeze. Quit being so butt hurt. I hardly ever engage with you. 

So after all the things said about him needing more experience, if a new coach comes in and doesn't bend over backwards to find a place for Caddy to stay, do we have grounds to fire him for incompetence on day one?

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Dabo had been a college coach for 12 years when he took over as HC.

See above post.  You're essentially punishing Carnell for having an NFL career as to why he hasn't been a coach longer.

Y'all can have the retreads who haven't won **** for $10M per year.  I want the energy.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Just to speak on the first part of your post. Even missing a couple guys they have Auburn out manned at every position by a good margin.  Texas A&M has Bama/UGA level talent across the board.  It shows how big of a difference good coaching makes.  I’m kinda glad TaMu is stuck with Jimbos buyout because if they brought in a good coach it’d put Auburn at an even bigger disadvantage in the West.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

See above post.  You're essentially punishing Carnell for having an NFL career as to why he hasn't been a coach longer.

Y'all can have the retreads who haven't won **** for $10M per year.  I want the energy.

It's not "punishment" to value coaching experience when you're handing over the keys to a program at Auburn's level at this critical juncture.  Energy is great.  But there's more to a HC job than energy.  You guys are getting misty eyed over a 3 point win over the shittiest A&M team since they joined the SEC, without one of the top RBs in the SEC and their WR playing.  And that's fine if you're just getting misty over the moment.  But it's not enough to make the guy HC.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Just to speak on the first part of your post. Even missing a couple guys they have Auburn out manned at every position by a good margin.  Texas A&M has Bama/UGA level talent across the board.  It shows how big of a difference good coaching makes.  I’m kinda glad TaMu is stuck with Jimbos buyout because if they brought in a good coach it’d put Auburn at an even bigger disadvantage in the West.  

They were 3-6 for a reason.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

But zero coordinator or HC experience, which is what a ton of folks seem to think is the minimum requirement.  My point is, there are plenty of good to great coaches that were not HCs before getting their first job.

And if you want to hold it against Carnell for not having 15 years of coaching experience by 40 like Dabo, go ahead.  Dude spent a chunk of that in the NFL.  And that sells.

Just because you're a great player doesn't make you a great coach. There's an element of "feel" with those guys.

Having said that, I think Caddy has the potential to be a great coach...after some seasoning. There's a great deal to be said about seeing how others succeed or fail in a given role. I think Caddy still needs to experience that. He has the capacity and (from what I see) the capability to become one of those great coaches, my personal opinion is that he needs to see that from the other side of the ball.

Before anyone gets in a twist, I think Caddy has the potential to be a great HC...he just needs to experience more from the sideline.

Edited by selias
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, selias said:

I'd be perfectly fine with Grimes. Have you actually looked into his coaching history/network and his recruiting wins?

Edit: @DAGstarting to feel like you're stalking me or have some sort of "Grimes" alert.  What don't you like about him beyond not being what you consider a "big name"?

I liken Grimes to a Jim McElwain type coach give or take a little. Good coach, going to get you 8 wins and might even get you to a sec conference game if the stars align and theres something to be said for that because thats historically what auburn has been and will be -- a good, disciplined team w a few dashes of luck here and there to capture magic in a bottle and thats my expectation for this program by and large. That said, we have a unique opportunity to get sanders (maybe) and then you could push the expectation level up to shear domination mode.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It's not "punishment" to value coaching experience when you're handing over the keys to a program at Auburn's level at this critical juncture.  Energy is great.  But there's more to a HC job than energy.  You guys are getting misty eyed over a 3 point win over the shittiest A&M team since they joined the SEC, without one of the top RBs in the SEC and their WR playing.  I'm sorry, but that's not enough.

You're sadly mistaken that this is about one 3 pt win and its pretty naive that you think that's the case. 

I'm looking at last week and how he acted as a leader and ambassador for the program.  I'm looking at how players and recruits are reacting to him.  I'm looking at improved gameplans and player usage.

Again, I'm not saying he's THE guy.  I'm saying he deserves to be interviewed seriously.  Sometimes the best hires and promotions I've made have been from the unlikeliest sources because I didn't have pre-conceived notions.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 1

I just watched my first AU game with my Dad (AU alum) in 4 years. Due to Covid, long distance, etc. So cool that we got to watch a win and it's all because of Caddy. The energy in the stadium was palpable through the TV screen. Caddy's post game interview was incredible and great for the program. I absolutely love Caddy. 

So I get the emotional part. But there's no way this qualifies Cadillac as a legit HC candidate. I don't even want to get into why, since there's no point in diminishing Caddy tonight. But those clamoring for him or acting like he makes as much sense as other "unproven" candidates have completely lost it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

...what are he qualifications or prerequisites to be a coach? ...caddy checks a lot of boxes I think....I guess its  the "chess match" aspect is all?....I dont know...im really excited with this guy!!

- Usually need to be a coordinator first so you understand how to run an entire scheme, and develop a identity/ philosophy which you implement as a HC. This factors into who you hire for your staff.

- Need experience and the more stops, the better so you have connections and also pick up the best habits and tricks from the different HCs you work with. Caddy has only ever been at a HS and Auburn (and I think briefly a GA at D3 West Georgia).

- Need some level of your game where you’re an expert in terms of X’s and O’s. This could be lumped in with the coordinator bit but it’s slightly different. But take Sam Pittman - he KNOWS how to effectively run the football from being an OL coach for so long. Cadillac doesn’t have that type of expertise yet.

Caddy isn’t ready. Sorry. I absolutely love the guy but no way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I liken Grimes to a Jim McElwain type coach give or take a little. Good coach, going to get you 8 wins and might even get you to a sec conference game if the stars align and theres something to be said for that because thats historically what auburn has been and will be -- a good, disciplined team w a few dashes of luck here and there to capture magic in a bottle and thats my expectation for this program by and large. That said, we have a unique opportunity to get sanders (maybe) and then you could push the expectation level up to shear domination mode.

So basically Gus

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

You're sadly mistaken that this is about one 3 pt win and its pretty naive that you think that's the case. 

I'm looking at last week and he acted as a leader and ambassador for the program.  I'm looking at how players and recruits are reacting to him.  I'm looking at improved gameplans and player usage.

Again, I'm not saying he's THE guy.  I'm saying he deserves to be interviewed seriously.  Sometimes the best hires and promotions I've made have been from the unlikeliest sources because I didn't have pre-conceived notions.

I see all of that and it's why I say he's perfect to shepherd these guys through this moment.  Yes, it's better than Harsin and his stubborn ass.  That bar was very low. I'm happy for him and the players and that the fans get to salvage something out of this s***ty situation.  But I'm not getting swept up into emotional thinking and making it more than what it is.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Caddy didn’t go straight from the league to coaching btw. It’s not like that’s what held him back. 

I love Caddy but it would be the biggest mistake in Auburn football history to give him the keys right now. Absolutely no way. Shows people are too prone to let their emotions overrule their common sense. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1