Caddy for coach?

SaturdayGT

16 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We may even pull a bowl game with a WKU win. I imagine we’d be a “sexier” team with a losing record to get a bowl pick simply by being in the SEC and the television pull they’d get. 

Is that possible? I thought you still had to be at least .500 outside the COVID season exception.

25 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

He’s great! But can we please just keep him as a coordinator? I’m so worried that some of us are going to push for this. I don’t think he’s ready just yet. 

please don’t hate me. 
Wde! Great win!!!

I honestly am not sure he’s ready to be an OC. Sorry. He totally could be but I just haven’t seen Caddy ever talk much scheme or anything like that. You have to be a serious X’s and O’s need to be a coordinator. Idk if that’s him.

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Is that possible? I thought you still had to be at least .500 outside the COVID season exception.

Rutgers got a NYE bowl at 5-7 against Wake Forest last year. 

After a little more reading, losing record teams to go bowling seems to be quite an exceptional case. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Rutgers got a NYE bowl at 5-7 against Wake Forest. 

That's only if there aren't enough 6 win teams to fill the slots though. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

What you get with Cadillac is something you just don’t see enough of in sports, especially from coaches. His emotion and love for Auburn and it’s players is almost child-like in its purity. It’s genuine emotion. That’s what you feel when you watch him. One of the greatest pieces of advice that I’ve ever gotten about trying cases in front of juries is that people want, more than anything, to be a part of the love. If you have a genuine and loving relationship in your case, highlight it, because the jury will want to be a part of it - like when you hug your wife and your toddler comes running up to join in. We all want to be a part of the love. That’s what I love so much about what is happening with Auburn right now. Fans see Caddy’s love for Auburn, and they want to be a part of it. It’s special, and it’s fleeting, and people will want to hold onto it for dear life. I can’t blame fans for feeling this way. I feel this way. Is it logical? Maybe not, but it speaks to our nature, and it sure makes you feel good inside. 

Fair enough and very well explained. I know I'm glad we have Caddy as coach until the end of the season. He's already given me 2 very fun games to watch. My ultimate barometer, that no one else will or should care about. 

We can go bowling with a 5-7 record if:

There are more bowl slots available than eligible teams and...

If our strength of schedule is high enough.

I believe a few years Arkansas was of those "outside looking in" teams that got the last invite.

I'm begging y'all. Please do not let emotion get in the way of rational judgement. Caddy is awesome and maybe he'd be great, but this is possibly a once in a lifetime chance.

We are the biggest job on the market, new facility opening next month, 10 mil NIL war chest that is just getting underway, and a President and AD who are doing things their own way. Let's go big game hunting. I'm talking poach a P5 coach type big game

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

Fair enough and very well explained. I know I'm glad we have Caddy as coach until the end of the season. He's already given me 2 very fun games to watch. My ultimate barometer, that no one else will or should care about. 

I just love seeing what is happening at Auburn right now. It’s fun to watch and feel a part of. I don’t think we should make him the permanent head coach. But, I do think that what people are feeling is a good thing, and we all need to feel something good once in a while, and to indulge, and sometimes to over-indulge in the good things life offers. Should John Cohen be over indulging? No, but that’s why we are paying him a bazillion dollars a year or whatever we are. To the fans, I say let your freak flags fly.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I just love seeing what is happening at Auburn right now. It’s fun to watch and feel a part of. I don’t think we should make him the permanent head coach. But, I do think that what people are feeling is a good thing, and we all need to feel something good once in a while, and to indulge, and sometimes to over-indulge in the good things life offers. Should John Cohen be over indulging? No, but that’s why we are paying him a bazillion dollars a year or whatever we are. To the fans, I say let your freak flags fly.

Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I’m loving it too. The only thing that worries me is if the push builds to a point of no return. You already have a lot of Auburn people who want Caddy after tonight. Some bigger voices, like Derrick Brown, tweeted to take away the interim tag. If he wins against WKU and either a close game/win over Alabama it’s going to be an incredible amount of momentum for Caddy. 

That’s why the fans need to be supportive and happy but still be thinking big picture. Still thinking rationally. The *only* way Cadillac gets this job is if the fans and alumni pressure JC into it. Even then, he may not do it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Remember about 4 or 5 games into the season when some of us were saying we need to fire Harsin ASAP? And others were saying, no, what's the point, we have no clear interim HC on staff, it could get worse. And we said it can't get any worse and the players deserve better than Harsin?

This is the most clear example of addition by subtraction that I've ever seen. 

Exactly. And what’s sad is the Coach Caddy blueprint had been in place since February. I will never - for the life of me - understand people’s impulse to, in a *horrible* situation, fear that a change could make it worse. 

IT’S ALREADY HORRIBLE!

I love imagining like someone’s got a TV that doesn’t work. Only static. Best Buy offers to replace all the major parts for free. But the customer thinks it sounds too risky. “At least I still have the static.” 

6 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

He’s great! But can we please just keep him as a coordinator? I’m so worried that some of us are going to push for this. I don’t think he’s ready just yet. 

please don’t hate me. 
Wde! Great win!!!

I actually think this would be a cool situation with the right coach. Maybe learn under a coach like Kiffin, who calls his own plays but get your feet wet gameplanning and understanding the full breadth of an offensive philosophy. Parlay that into an OC gig where it’s all yours and then make the jump to HC from there. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

What you get with Cadillac is something you just don’t see enough of in sports, especially from coaches. His emotion and love for Auburn and it’s players is almost child-like in its purity. It’s genuine emotion. That’s what you feel when you watch him. One of the greatest pieces of advice that I’ve ever gotten about trying cases in front of juries is that people want, more than anything, to be a part of the love. If you have a genuine and loving relationship in your case, highlight it, because the jury will want to be a part of it - like when you hug your wife and your toddler comes running up to join in. We all want to be a part of the love. That’s what I love so much about what is happening with Auburn right now. Fans see Caddy’s love for Auburn, and they want to be a part of it. It’s special, and it’s fleeting, and people will want to hold onto it for dear life. I can’t blame fans for feeling this way. I feel this way. Is it logical? Maybe not, but it speaks to our nature, and it sure makes you feel good inside. 

Beautiful post! Thanks 

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

What are you talking about? Fans should always have a general say and fan opinion should absolutely be considered when hiring a coach. If not out of common sense, it is just smart business. If you don’t, your stadium isn’t going to be full and your revenue is going to be way down.

I think that you are putting way to much into what we as fans WILL do. The entire fan base was not happy with Harsin but we still filled the stadium, bought the merchandise, spent our money to support the school that didn't listen to US. They didn't fire harsin because of us.. I for one don't want emotional, irrational,  knee jerk fans making a multi-million dollar decision for my business regardless of their passion. You have your opinion and I have mine. Let's leave it at that. 

War Eagle and Good day

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I’m loving it too. The only thing that worries me is if the push builds to a point of no return. You already have a lot of Auburn people who want Caddy after tonight. Some bigger voices, like Derrick Brown, tweeted to take away the interim tag. If he wins against WKU and either a close game/win over Alabama it’s going to be an incredible amount of momentum for Caddy. 

That’s why the fans need to be supportive and happy but still be thinking big picture. Still thinking rationally. The *only* way Cadillac gets this job is if the fans and alumni pressure JC into it. Even then, he may not do it. 

I hear what you are saying, but if we best WKU and pull off a miracle against Alabama, there’s no controlling what happens next. No amount of anonymous posts on messages boards could possibly quell the momentum that will have been created. I don’t think that miracle scenario happens, but if there is genuine concern from Cohen or Roberts about their ability to make a hire under those circumstances, the best way to prepare for it is to make their hire quickly. 

To me, last night enhanced the Auburn HC position to an elite level.  Any coach that would want a school to back him, if he were to be successful, saw a program that is eager to support him.  The enthusiasm of the fans of a 3-6 team was undeniable no matter the talent level put on the field.

The Auburn HC job is now the best available in the country, bar none.  It is Auburn being Auburn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I actually think this would be a cool situation with the right coach. Maybe learn under a coach like Kiffin, who calls his own plays but get your feet wet gameplanning and understanding the full breadth of an offensive philosophy. Parlay that into an OC gig where it’s all yours and then make the jump to HC from there. 

People really need to get a grip on this whole "Kiffin calls his own plays, so just stick anyone at OC" narrative. That's NOT how it works at all. The OC is still responsible for a million game-planning reasons. They still need to have extreme schematic knowledge, which Cadillac quite obviously doesn't. The OC position at Ole Miss is NOT a "hold a clipboard and rile the boys up" position.

Well I loved the post game interview and the credit Caddy gives Glory to God! And the stories of former teammates of his that were NOT left behind because of bad decisions. These are young men and while it is a large corporation these young men need role models and not a coach after money or that does not care about them.. 

JMO and I have been thoroughly impressed with HC Williams and in the words of one of our beloved broadcasters...

Edited by AU1947

I love caddy, and the job he’s done motivating the team through this has been great. But there’s no way he gets the job. There’s so much more to coaching, and he’s just not ready. If we were to hire Caddy, he probably would not be successful. Then his last connection to Auburn would be a disastrous head coaching tenure rather than something positive.

It scares me that there are fans actually wanting the interim tag removed. There’s no logic in it, especially with so many good coaches looking to potentially move this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, metafour said:

People really need to get a grip on this whole "Kiffin calls his own plays, so just stick anyone at OC" narrative. That's NOT how it works at all. The OC is still responsible for a million game-planning reasons. They still need to have extreme schematic knowledge, which Cadillac quite obviously doesn't. The OC position at Ole Miss is NOT a "hold a clipboard and rile the boys up" position.

Ok then, perhaps a Co-OC or Assistant OC role. Just thinking out loud where he could get some experience with some coordinator responsibilities without it all being on him. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Ok then, perhaps a Co-OC or Assistant OC role. Just thinking out loud where he could get some experience with some coordinator responsibilities without it all being on him. 

I was thinking run game coordinator and assistant head coach. Give him a nice promotion and raise.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

While I do not think he gets retained as Head Coach next year whoever IS hired as Head Coach would be an absolute MORON not to hire Coach Caddy for a prominent and important role in their staff.  Not only has Caddy already proven to be an excellent recruiter, RB coach, and motivator of young men, but he has proven that he TRULY loves Auburn, the students and fans, the traditions we hold dear, the pride we have in our sports programs, and the principles which we are supposed to always live by.  He can easily bond with any young men in the program and particularly the young black men, no matter what their upbringing, that make up a big percentage of our team and bring the best out of all of them.  As one of the more recent all-time greats at AU, an Auburn graduate, a top 5 draft pick, and as a player with 7 years of experience in the NFL, he has immense credibility with both the players and recruits.  The bottom line is he is exactly the kind of coach we need at Auburn, whatever the title.  IMO if we win out and beat Alabama I wouldn't be mad if he was hired as head coach, with the only requirement made of him that he hire the best and most experienced OC and DC that we can possibly get.  That would have to happen anyway for both Auburn and Coach Caddy to have a chance of long term success as he would be learning on the job.  I think he could do it, I mean football has been this guy's entire life, I'm sure he has picked up enough of it throughout his college and NFL career to coach a team.  He would just need a lot of experienced guys around him to help him learn how to be a head coach, speak with the media, and delegate responsibility.

Edited by BHDAU1

No other HC candidate brings what Cadillac brings to AU. And no other coach is guaranteed to keep him on staff. 

If Clemson could give Dabo a chance, why can't we do it with Cadillac?

Y'all are nuts 😂 Caddy is nowhere near ready to run a P5 program, I don't even think he is ready to be a coordinator yet. Relax and enjoy the win but no need to go crazy. 😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1