Freeze + Caddy?

GreenTiger

2 hours ago, smackydoodle said:

How in the world can someone watch the game last night and think UA is a chance W. 

Yeah texas a and m went to tuscaloosa and got the brakes beat off them and had no shot plus rivalry games betweem auburn and alabama don't trend towards nutty things happening ever. How in the world? 

8 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Just spit ballin here… but I could see a Freeze as HC and Caddy as the OC dynamic possibly working for us. I believe Freeze is still calling plays and Caddy could grow from the relationship potentially. 

Yes, there is serious baggage with Freeze. And yes Caddy is very green as a coordinator. But the two could balance each other out and maybe be a good pairing fit for Auburn 

I been on Freeze since the start. The only name that comes with equal weight to me is Prime and he is no where near as proven as a coach. I would absolutely love the combo you just said. Freeze would mentor Caddy and Caddy would likely end up leaving for a HC job and then be primed to return to the plains down the road. 

Yes. The admin is definitely in a pickle with excitement of coach Caddy. 

They should in no way be in a pickle over this. I would hope the admin can put their brains above their emotion.

• Like 1

Just spit ballin here… but I could see a Freeze as HC and Caddy as the OC dynamic possibly working for us. I believe Freeze is still calling plays and Caddy could grow from the relationship potentially. 

Yes, there is serious baggage with Freeze. And yes Caddy is very green as a coordinator. But the two could balance each other out and maybe be a good pairing fit for Auburn 

When considering all potential coaching hires, Freeze (to me) is the clear winner.   IF we could exclude decency and morality, which we can't these days.

Freeze has the proven SEC head coaching experience, is a good recruiter, is a good QB developer, is an offensive genius, and would jump at the chance to coach at AU and stay for the long haul.  He hung 50+ points on Alabama back when Bama had a good defense.

If he just wasn't a sleeze...which he seems to be.

Honest question: at what point would he be "rehabilitated" enough to be accepted at AU?  Never?

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

They should in no way be in a pickle over this. I would hope the admin can put their brains above their emotion.

Depends on what coaches are legitimately in play. If all the tier 1 options are saying hell no and we are talking random tier 2 scrubs that might be good or might not and we go on and win out to close the year -- i hope the admin finds themselves in a good ole game of pickleball

• Like 1

8 hours ago, auskull said:

I thought that Friend was calling the plays for LAC. I wonder if LAC has any play calling experience. He is one hell of an emotional leader though. Harsin could have learned from this however. I think the Admin is in somewhat of a quandary now. No one expected this turnaround over night going forward. LAC has endured himself in Auburn folklore and simply cannot be ignored.  

Also, consider this. 

Who else would have the alignment of Coach Lac? Meaning, all functions pulling in the same direction? 

Our guys won at home against the worst team in the SEC. I thought that distinction was reserved for Vanderbilt, but they won a big rivalry game on the road. I'm happy for our team, coaches, and fans. But at some point we need to win with a good game plan, some good execution, and smart decisions.  That could happen Saturday but most likely next year. If we do win against WKU, it is likely to be an ugly one again but we'll gladly take the W.  My hat's off to Coach Lac and all the extended staff for all the work they've done to hold this team together. Truly an amazing job. :bow:

9 hours ago, auskull said:

I think the Admin is in somewhat of a quandary now. No one expected this turnaround over night going forward. LAC has endured himself in Auburn folklore and simply cannot be ignored.  

Turnaround over night? Wow, I am a LAC fan too, but he has won 1 game against the worst team in the SEC west with an identical record as Auburn. Hopefully we will win next week, then most likely we will get beat the next week. Can we stop pretending any sane person would hire him as head coach. I am all for keeping him on staff.

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed

from what I understand our AD was instrumental in turning him in

If this is accurate we need to take Freeze completely off the “list”. If true he’s 100% out.   Even if not true the new AD is very well aware of Freezes moral failures. It’s not happening

10 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Yes. The admin is definitely in a pickle with excitement of coach Caddy. 

Not at all.

I love Caddy but, stop with this nonsense. That interim tag is not going to be removed, and a coach not currently on the staff is going to be tapped as the next HFC.

Edited by selias

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

It's not their emotion in play. What people are referring to is the absolute goodwill and excitement that has been infused back into the program, almost overmight. Auburn is trending on Twitter, with positive energy for the first time in a long time. It's not only 'whack-a-doo fans' all up in their feels calling for his retainment as HC. You have former players calling for removal of the interim title, some broadcasters wondering if he shouldn't just get the job. It's gotten big, fast. So fast I think it has caught most people by surprise. I think the concern is that as quickly as we recovered our love for Auburn football we could fall right back into apathy and even disgust if it isn't handled well. People are watching us now with renewed  interest and even affection. And handled well doesn't equal making him HC. But it does need to be done with care and wisdom, and 'dealing with the interim'  was probably a factor that didn't weigh as heavily prior to seeing the response Caddy has received.

Edited by WarrrEagleHey

56 minutes ago, The lions roar said:

Turnaround over night? Wow, I am a LAC fan too, but he has won 1 game against the worst team in the SEC west with an identical record as Auburn.

Turnaround doesn't always equate to wins and losses. The spirit of Auburn football and the tone around the program has absolutely done a 180, pretty much overnight.

1 hour ago, selias said:

Not at all.

I love Caddy but, stop with this nonsense. That interim tag is not going to be removed, and a coach not currently on the staff is going to be tapped as the next HFC.

Why is this nonsense??? The excitement over Caddy as HC is real and is being voiced by a large segment of the fan base. This fact puts the admin in a awkward position in the hiring process. 

Just now, GreenTiger said:

Why is this nonsense??? The excitement over Caddy as HC is real and is being voiced by a large segment of the fan base. This fact puts the admin in a awkward position in the hiring process. 

Fans, by our nature, are stupidly fickle. Expecting that to factor into the decision making process is about as logical as TJ Finley's mother expecting regular updates from the AD about the coaching search

2 minutes ago, selias said:

Fans, by our nature, are stupidly fickle. Expecting that to factor into the decision making process is about as logical as TJ Finley's mother expecting regular updates from the AD about the coaching search

The Gus extension says otherwise 

Just now, GreenTiger said:

The Gus extension says otherwise 

Don't mistake gross mismanagement by the President & AD for fan influence.

3 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

When considering all potential coaching hires, Freeze (to me) is the clear winner.   IF we could exclude decency and morality, which we can't these days.

Freeze has the proven SEC head coaching experience, is a good recruiter, is a good QB developer, is an offensive genius, and would jump at the chance to coach at AU and stay for the long haul.  He hung 50+ points on Alabama back when Bama had a good defense.

Honest question: at what point would he be "rehabilitated" enough to be accepted at AU?  Never?

Agreed…. He seems like a scum bag. And to your question, I don’t know if or when he would be accepted at Auburn but he may be the one that is willing to come and coach here after we miss on better options. If that ends up being the case my hypothetical Caddy +Freeze suggestion makes him maybe more digestible for the fanbase and for the health of the program 

Edited by GreenTiger

3 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I say now is fine but not sure the folks that are making this decision, would agree.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Agreed…. He seems like a scum bag. And to your question, I don’t know if or when he would be accepted at Auburn but he may be the one that is willing to come and coach here after we miss on better options. If that ends up being the case my hypothetical Caddy +Freeze suggestion makes him maybe more digestible for the fanbase and for the health of the program 

Yeah, I dread a scenario where we offer Coach A, he turns us down, then we offer coach B, who is offended we offered Coach A first, etc.  And on down the line of preferred coaches.

It would be the major miss-out on our part because of JABA.

I hope the new AD gets it right.

1 hour ago, WarrrEagleHey said:

Turnaround doesn't always equate to wins and losses. The spirit of Auburn football and the tone around the program has absolutely done a 180, pretty much overnight.

Thinking that spirit around the program and positive tone would equate to a winning program is a farce. It is definitely not that simple.

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I say now is fine but not sure the folks that are making this decision, would agree.

I agree, but I ain't nowhere near in the discussion for this hire...:)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Yeah texas a and m went to tuscaloosa and got the brakes beat off them and had no shot plus rivalry games betweem auburn and alabama don't trend towards nutty things happening ever. How in the world? 

Mmhm, we'll circle back after the game....

• Haha 1