Rumors are flying this morning

AUY2K

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

No. Kiffin is no more likely to succeed than several of the others who have been mentioned. Let's don't pretend we can afford to do what A&M has done. We do have some money people but I don't think they can take a hit like that and then turn around and help in a big way next time.

I really DO NOT want to end up in a TA&M scenario locked into a 10 year obligation before any results proved in the recruiting wars and on the field of play in SEC West. Shoot me for saying it but I would rather have Freeze or Grimes, see results and go from there. Those 10 year contracts begin to look pretty ominous unless you have all the oil money in Texas.

• Like 3

Dabo Swinney - smoke screen, never coming to Auburn

Kirby Smart - we had our chance in 2012, will never come to Auburn

These guys are all smoke screens while Jimmy Sexton plays the bidding war between Auburn & Ole Miss. 

I believe the best coach for Auburn right now is Lane Kiffin. IF he does so well at Auburn that he’s able to bolt to the NFL or another college job, then we’ll have made the right hire. Then that gives us a few years to evaluate Lanning, Deion, etc to see if they can be proven head coaches at the highest level.

Deion will get his shot - I just don’t see us hiring him with only 2 years of head coaching experience at a lower school. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I just have a feeling that our eventual HC hasn't even been talked about yet. 

Untrue, Lashlee has been mentioned several times 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, au701948 said:

I really DO NOT want to end up in a TA&M scenario locked into a 10 year obligation before any results proved in the recruiting wars and on the field of play in SEC West. Shoot me for saying it but I would rather have Freeze or Grimes, see results and go from there. Those 10 year contracts begin to look pretty ominous unless you have all the oil money in Texas.

I agree absolutely with the principal here, but we're in a bad spot. If we make another yawner or head-scratcher of a hire, then we are heading for the basement for a long stay. If we have circled Kiffin as number 1 and let Ole Miss outbid us for our primary target, then we can no longer call ourselves a top coaching destination. 

If Kiffin is the man, we are going to have to pay that price. I suspect most programs will for top coaches moving forward. When Saban started winning, he changed the landscape of coaching salaries. I think the contract terms have now changed as well and short of Dabo really being interested in the job, (which I'd be looking out for flying pigs if that happened) Kiffin looks like the best match on the table. We screw this up and wind up with Hugh Freeze or the like and we are heading for some lean times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, au701948 said:

I agree but want Freeze over Grimes

• Like 2

I just have to laugh every time everybody worries about the money. If you're playing in this game, you got the money. And Auburn may not be as big a have as Texas a&m, but they've got money and they can play the game. You don't build the State of the art football only center and not sweat it like these guys have done.

Auburn is a sleeping giant. And it's bloody time that it woke up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AUCE05 said:

James Franklin is the guy competing with Lane.  

You jest but that’s my worse fear and I can see Auburn trying to rationalize it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

I just have to laugh every time everybody worries about the money. If you're playing in this game, you got the money. And Auburn may not be as big a have as Texas a&m, but they've got money and they can play the game. You don't build the State of the art football only center and not sweat it like these guys have done.

Auburn is a sleeping giant. And it's bloody time that it woke up.

Hope everyone remembers that if we give kiffen 10 million a year guaranteed and he don't win big

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Hope everyone remembers that if we give kiffen 10 million a year guaranteed and he don't win big

Yep, he is a good x and o’s coach though. But just like every other coach, must get the Players to be successful.

There is no competing it's Lane's job to turndown and if he does the fall back is Franklin. 

If Lane turns it down I'm kind of meh when it comes to Franklin - hopefully with him in the SEC he can get the players combined with coaching and can beat ugag and uat.  His record vs Michigan is bad (3-6) especially the blowout loss this year.  I'd feel better if he were at least .500 vs Michigan. 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

James Franklin is the guy competing with Lane.  

Not much competition then…….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

There is no competing it's Lane's job to turndown and if he does the fall back is Franklin. 

If Lane turns it down I'm kind of meh when it comes to Franklin - hopefully with him in the SEC he can get the players combined with coaching and can beat ugag and uat.  His record vs Michigan is bad (3-6) especially the blowout loss this year.  I'd feel better if he were at least .500 vs Michigan. 

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

Yeah, if we're going with lukewarm Big 10 coaches, I'd rather have Harbaugh. He's a higher energy guy and a better recruiter. 

• Like 2

In my opinion, Franklin would be an awful hire.  You can't legitimately argue that he would be better at Penn State if only he had access to more talent.  Penn State can easily recruit nationally and there is no reason that he shouldn't be able to go head to head in recruiting battles with Ohio State and Michigan.  So this leads me to the only conclusion . . . what you see at Penn State is the best that he can do.

• Like 8

Well, this is clearly the perception that is out there:

1. Kiffin

2a/2b. Franklin / Dabo

Hopefully if Kiffin turns it down then Auburn goes with Deion / Carnell  and puts a good amount of money towards quality coordinators. 

Edited by AUY2K
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Kirby Smart - we had our chance in 2012, will never come to Auburn

Are there people that actually still consider him an option?  I find it incredibly unlikely that he would leave his alma mater, that he has poised at the top of the SEC East, to come to Auburn.  Money is the only motive I can really think of, and Georgia would match anything to keep him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

If Kiffin is the man, we are going to have to pay that price. I suspect most programs will for top coaches moving forward. When Saban started winning, he changed the landscape of coaching salaries. I think the contract terms have now changed as well and short of Dabo really being interested in the job, (which I'd be looking out for flying pigs if that happened) Kiffin looks like the best match on the table. We screw this up and wind up with Hugh Freeze or the like and we are heading for some lean times. 

I agree with everything except the last sentence. I think Danny Hugh is a big time hire as well and would have the opposite affect than you described.

8 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

In my opinion, Franklin would be an awful hire.  You can't legitimately argue that he would be better at Penn State if only he had access to more talent.  Penn State can easily recruit nationally and there is no reason that he shouldn't be able to go head to head in recruiting battles with Ohio State and Michigan.  So this leads me to the only conclusion . . . what you see at Penn State is the best that he can do.

I agree about Franklin. I think he is the B10s version of Gus to an extent...except Gus  could actually beat his main rival. He always loses a game or 2 that he should win. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

If we hire Franklin, I seriously believe that I will throw up! Please NO!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

Well, this is clearly the perception that is out there:

1. Kiffin

2a/2b. Franklin / Dabo

Hopefully if Kiffin turns it down then Auburn goes with Deion / Carnell  and puts a good amount of money towards quality coordinators. 

U have Dabo behind Kiffen... Interesting 

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I agree with everything except the last sentence. I think Danny Hugh is a big time hire as well and would have the opposite affect than you described.

I agree about Franklin. I think he is the B10s version of Gus to an extent...except Gus  could actually beat his main rival. He always loses a game or 2 that he should win. 

Danny Hugh... I like it!!