Rumors are flying this morning

AUY2K

11 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Where or who has mentioned Franklin as a candidate? I've never saw him mentioned as much as even Dabo

One of the Auburn heads just posted a tweet that had him as the picture like 40 mins ago. Article was behind a pay wall so I didn’t do much digging into it 

• Dislike 1

Kiffin has not proven anything to warrant a salary of 10 million per year. Not a damn thing. No one can say for sure if he likes to recruit (which we need badly), does he even value defense, will he have a better feel for the game and not go for every 4th down like the Texas HS coach from Friday Night Lights. Good coach and I would be all for the hire but not at 10 mill per year/ fully guaranteed. By year 3 we better be competing for a natty or all hell will break loose. 

• Like 1

RE Dabo, I can easily see why he would be genuinely interested. ACC is in trouble (what is the revenue difference per year? SEC is triple theirs). He has come out against the NIL. We know why, because he knows that he can't recruit at Clemson even if USCe has ability to just outbid him, let alone UGA, Tenn, bama, and entire b10. He is vulnerable right now without his coordinators or QB. It's that time where any of us would question the future. If I am him, I am not pulling the eject strap, but I am def looking around because while Clemson with Dabo will prob always be in it for the 12 team playoff, he just won't have the recruits to win it. That is very much clear. That would be immensely frustrating. 

I also have always questioned why he would go to bama to replace Saban. HIs legacy at clemson is sealed. He goes to bama and everything he does will be compared to Saban. And it's not about winning but how much and how many. The legacy, even if he does well, will be diminished. At AU, he turns this around and his legacy is augmented positively. Just getting us into the 12 team playoff consistently would be a major achievement and winning one or two, would further contribute to his legacy as one of the best coaches of all time. Coaches like him are looking for challenges. They want to build and develop things in their own way. If the $ are there, this is what is important to them.

I don't put Kiffin in that category. IMO he would go to bama. He hasn't won so just continuing to win at bama would be enough for him and probably add to his legacy because he hasn't really come close to a natty as a HC. The advantage of Kiffin, however, is that you just need a high quality DC to make AU into a contender. He uses the portal very well and is the salesmen you need to basically pull free agents your way. With our new NIL arrangement and seemingly the PTB aligned (more than we have seen in past), I can see how this is a good spot land.

At some point, this won't be about $ but about opportunity. New horizons. And for the first time in a long time, I do feel strongly that AU is that place. Time will tell, but interest from this many high quality coaches is the best we could have hoped for 6 months ago or 2 years ago. The landscape has changed significantly, and with it, so has AU. No matter what happens, boy, I am happy with Caddy, the energy around the program and the developments that now have at least brought significant interest from high quality coaches. It's a new day. War Damn!

Edited by AUnChas
  • Like 3

I don’t think Dabo would follow Saban. If he took the job and doesn’t win a title in a 3-5 year span, they will fire him. He knows this. 

You think Auburn or any other CFB program is inpatient? J wait until the greatest dynasty ever completely dies. Alabama fans will have ZERO patience when Saban retires. Winning is like a drug and they could quit cold turkey. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AUnChas said:

At some point, this won't be about $ but about opportunity. New horizons. And for the first time in a long time, I do feel strongly that AU is that place.

We don’t talk about motives much because it’s a lesser point. Money (salaray and duration), our hidden potential,  au’s passion (pluses and minuses). Ect. The main point is, the more financially established a coach is  - their motives become more interesting - but are also a wildcard.

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

If Kiffin is the man, we are going to have to pay that price. I suspect most programs will for top coaches moving forward. When Saban started winning, he changed the landscape of coaching salaries. I think the contract terms have now changed as well and short of Dabo really being interested in the job, (which I'd be looking out for flying pigs if that happened) Kiffin looks like the best match on the table. We screw this up and wind up with Hugh Freeze or the like and we are heading for some lean times. 

I see no reason at all to think Kiffin will be more successful at Auburn than Freeze might be. Freeze has a little more baggage and Kiffin routinely loses a game or two every year because of his silly metrics decisions. It a wash between the two and Freeze won't demand one of those stupid 10 year guarantees. Knowing what little I know, I'd hire Freeze over Kiffin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Kiffin has not proven anything to warrant a salary of 10 million per year. Not a damn thing. No one can say for sure if he likes to recruit (which we need badly), does he even value defense, will he have a better feel for the game and not go for every 4th down like the Texas HS coach from Friday Night Lights. Good coach and I would be all for the hire but not at 10 mill per year/ fully guaranteed. By year 3 we better be competing for a natty or all hell will break loose. 

I feel like the dollar figure matters for him than any other prospective hire, bc there’s a real scenario where he just does something so offensive to the eyes that he actually does lose favor dramatically. Going for nonsense 4th downs against top tier teams plays better with Ole Miss than it would for us, especially if it fails. 

I’ve been saying that we shouldn’t hire anyone with the idea we’ll be firing them too soon, but it’s a possibility with some guys (Freeze) more than others 

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I see no reason at all to think Kiffin will be more successful at Auburn than Freeze might be. Freeze has a little more baggage and Kiffin routinely loses a game or two every year because of his silly metrics decisions. It a wash between the two and Freeze won't demand one of those stupid 10 year guarantees. Knowing what little I know, I'd hire Freeze over Kiffin.

Lane is a proven offensive innovator throughout his career, despite his other shortcomings. College ball is all about exciting offense right now and he's the name of the moment. He'll give us a big shot in the arm in the portal which is the most immediate need and build excitement for a program that in hemorrhaging it the last few years. He also definitely has some question marks and concerns, but none near Hugh Freeze in my mind. I'm just not sold on Hugh Freeze as much more than a Malzahnesque gimmicky coach. He will instantly turn Auburn into a press punchline and he'll be very easy to negatively recruit against at the start. I think we'll lack the momentum hiring him to take full advantage of the portal and his baggage makes me worry much more about his future than Kiffin. It's also really hard for me to believe that there is "alignment" behind Hugh Freeze. He really runs fairly contrary to many things that Auburn likes to sell themselves on. Of the candidates I've heard, Freeze is absolutely last resort for me. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Of the candidates I've heard, Freeze is absolutely last resort for me. 

I'm not thrilled with Freeze either, but if the discussion is limited to either/or Kiffin or Freeze, my choice is Freeze. There are any number of third party coaches out there that I'd prefer over either one of these two.

57 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

You'll find out next Friday, the day after the Egg Bowl.

Forgot the egg bowl is Thursday.  

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm not thrilled with Freeze either, but if the discussion is limited to either/or Kiffin or Freeze, my choice is Freeze. There are any number of third party coaches out there that I'd prefer over either one of these two.

I'm looking at this way.   I hated KD Johnson when he was at ugaly.    He was an arrogant punk.   Then he came to Auburn, and as Pearl once said "he is a lunatic, but he is our lunatic".   I don't like Kiffen and I borderline hate Dabo, but if they came to Auburn they would be our A holes and I would support them 100%.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It is obvious that nobody really knows anything except for Cohen… some of the names being thrown around right now on other sites by mods are absurd pipe dreams. 
But I have to admit that coaching search season is so much fun. The search is usually more fun than the actual result.

Auburn fans right now are overwhelmed with names…

image.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

One of the Auburn heads just posted a tweet that had him as the picture like 40 mins ago. Article was behind a pay wall so I didn’t do much digging into it 

Franklin also flirted with Tennessee to get a huge raise at Penn State. That's when Tennessee hired Heupel. He was born and raised in Pennsylvania and played DII ball in state. He probably uses Auburn for leverage again if he's talking to us. He is a pretty good coach but loses to his rivals most the time. He did good things at Vandy though. 

Edited by TeamZero77

44 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

SI ( Sports Illustrated) reporting that Dabos reps are still talking to AU. Guess that makes it a little more credible

This is not the Sports Illustrated that we grew up with.  This site reports internet rumors. They don't have primary sources or investigative reporters. Notice the question mark in the headline. and Rumors are swirling around Dabo Swinney and the Tigers.  https://www.si.com/college/auburn/

Cohen is not talking to anybody.

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

It is obvious that nobody really knows anything except for Cohen… some of the names being thrown around right now on other sites by mods are absurd pipe dreams. 
But I have to admit that coaching search season is so much fun. The search is usually more fun than the actual result.

Auburn fans right now are overwhelmed with names…

image.gif

Please let me have the "absurd pipe dreams".  I'm not ready to go back to the JABA list:

Muschamp

Loeffler

Steele

Lashlee

Morris

Look at that GIF.  Look at all the fun I am having!

27 minutes ago, woodford said:

Haha oh the humanity!!! Not Dabo Swinney! Give me that relic from the 1990’s with the incredible PR team!

Learn to love it. Just like Aunt Bea's homemade pickles

• Haha 1