AUY2K

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

If today was audition day…

Lane…F Minus

Freeze… F Minus

Deion…  B
Franklin… A

Dabo… A

I think Franklin is a clown and consistent underachiever who just played a horrible team today…

Deion is a well known risk/reward scenario and Dabo would be the highest level coach we’ve ever even tried to hire that I’m aware of. 
I know it’s not about today only…but todays column in the spreadsheet reads pretty clearly Dabo 1A, Deion 1B 

Lane and HF decimated their averages today and should be considered much lower on the totem pole. 
One day doesn’t define a career…but outlandishly horrible days certainly leave a black mark…

Edit:…to say with a potential caveat of LK having already taken the job and his team knows it and didn’t show up…then leaving less of a mark…and an irrelevant one because in that scenario he’s already hired…

Dabo....He isn't coming to a place he hates.

Deion....Too much risk, but possible great reward. Experiment

Kiffin....Probably already accepted the offer. 

• Like 3

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm glad cats on this board ain't making the hire

Caddy would've been the coach after Texas A&M with most on here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

Lane…F Minus

Freeze… F Minus

Deion…  B
Franklin… A

Dabo… A

I think Franklin is a clown and consistent underachiever who just played a horrible team today…

Deion is a well known risk/reward scenario and Dabo would be the highest level coach we’ve ever even tried to hire that I’m aware of. 
I know it’s not about today only…but todays column in the spreadsheet reads pretty clearly Dabo 1A, Deion 1B 

Lane and HF decimated their averages today and should be considered much lower on the totem pole. 
One day doesn’t define a career…but outlandishly horrible days certainly leave a black mark…

Edit:…to say with a potential caveat of LK having already taken the job and his team knows it and didn’t show up…then leaving less of a mark…and an irrelevant one because in that scenario he’s already hired…

You give Freeze an F minus for losing by 1 to Virginia Tech? Man, I don't know about the expectations you hold, but that seems pretty harsh for a grade regardless of how bad VT has been. 

Guest MustardSeed
39 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

You give Freeze an F minus for losing by 1 to Virginia Tech? Man, I don't know about the expectations you hold, but that seems pretty harsh for a grade regardless of how bad VT has been. 

Absolutely. VT had lost 7 games straight before beating Freeze…. Tough to get much worse than that

Lane…F Minus

Freeze… F Minus

Deion…  B
Franklin… A

Dabo… A

So this is an odd train of thought for me here. You grade the coaches based on today, then say “it’s not about today only, then say today results move them down the totem pole (based on todays results), then say “one day doesn’t define a career”, and finally leave it with a todays results have left a black mark.

My opinion is that today wasn’t audition day, these guys whole career has been one frickin huge audition day and today doesn’t matter one bit in hiring our new HC. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

So this is an odd train of thought for me here. You grade the coaches based on today, then say “it’s not about today only, then say today results move them down the totem pole (based on todays results), then say “one day doesn’t define a career”, and finally leave it with a todays results have left a black mark.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Thought I'd throw this out there -  on the timing of the announcement:

days
Pat Dye  (resigned) 26-Nov-92  
Terry Bowden 17-Dec-92    21

Terry Bowden  (resigned) 23-Oct-98  
   Bill Oliver  (interim HC)    
Tommy Tuberville 28-Nov-98    36

Tommy Tuberville  (fired)   3-Dec-08  
Gene Chizik 13-Dec-08    10

Gene Chizik  (fired) 25-Nov-12  
Gus Malzahn   4-Dec-12        9

Gus Malzahn  (fired) 13-Dec-20  
   Kevin Steele  (interim HC)    
Bryan Harsin 23-Dec-20    10

Bryan Harsin  (fired)  31-Oct-22  
   Carnell Williams  (interim HC)    
Date after Egg Bowl 25-Nov-22    25
Date after Iron Bowl 27-Nov-22    27
?? announced as new coach   1-Dec-22    31
PAC 12 Championship game   2-Dec-22    32
SEC, B10 & B12 Championship game   3-Dec-22    33
36 days after firing   6-Dec-22    36
Initial signing date 21-Dec-22    51
Final signing date 23-Dec-22    53

If you look back to Pat Dye's resigning and count the number of days to the announcement of the new coach, it has usually been a short duration except for Tuberville's hiring (36 days passed from Bowden's resigning and Tuberville's hiring).  

- I doubt an announcement will be made prior to the Iron Bowl - lets enjoy what Cadillac is doing with this team.

- If the new coach is coaching in a championship game, it may not happen before the championship game - unless we want the talking heads at the SEC championship game to talk about whats happening down at Auburn and the new HC agrees.

- It has to be made before initial signing date - if it slips this far, we are picking from the B or C list.

I think the date is 1 Dec (Wed) before the championship games so we get the buzz and is well before the signing dates.  If I'm right, the best rumors will be leaking a few days before 1 Dec but after 27 Nov.

Edited by 81spacetiger
formating
  • Thanks 1

Guest MustardSeed
2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

My opinion is that today wasn’t audition day, these guys whole career has been one frickin huge audition day and today doesn’t matter one bit in hiring our new HC. 

Ever done a spreadsheet with averages?  
Clearly today wasnt audition day but it affects the overall averages…and when it comes to averages one abysmal number can move the needle…

It wasn’t a declaration that these guys shouldn’t be hired based on today alone…which I said clearly..just an observation that (1) this is how these guys fared today and (2) today does affect the overall grade

8 minutes ago, 81spacetiger said:

Thought I'd throw this out there -  on the timing of the announcement:

days
Pat Dye  (resigned) 26-Nov-92  
Terry Bowden 17-Dec-92    21

Terry Bowden  (resigned) 23-Oct-98  
   Bill Oliver  (interim HC)    
Tommy Tuberville 28-Nov-98    36

Tommy Tuberville  (fired)   3-Dec-08  
Gene Chizik 13-Dec-08    10

Gene Chizik  (fired) 25-Nov-12  
Gus Malzahn   4-Dec-12        9

Gus Malzahn  (fired) 13-Dec-20  
   Kevin Steele  (interim HC)    
Bryan Harsin 23-Dec-20    10

Bryan Harsin  (fired)  31-Oct-22  
   Carnell Williams  (interim HC)    
Date after Egg Bowl 25-Nov-22    25
Date after Iron Bowl 27-Nov-22    27
?? announced as new coach   1-Dec-22    31
PAC 12 Championship game   2-Dec-22    32
SEC, B10 & B12 Championship game   3-Dec-22    33
36 days after firing   6-Dec-22    36
Initial signing date 21-Dec-22    51
Final signing date 23-Dec-22    53

If you look back to Pat Dye's resigning and count the number of days to the announcement of the new coach, it has usually been a short duration except for Tuberville's hiring (36 days passed from Bowden's resigning and Tuberville's hiring).  

- I doubt an announcement will be made prior to the Iron Bowl - lets enjoy what Cadillac is doing with this team.

- If the new coach is coaching in a championship game, it may not happen before the championship game - unless we want the talking heads at the SEC championship game to talk about whats happening down at Auburn and the new HC agrees.

- It has to be made before initial signing date - if it slips this far, we are picking from the B or C list.

I think the date is 1 Dec (Wed) before the championship games so we get the buzz and is well before the signing dates.  If I'm right, the best rumors will be leaking a few days before 1 Dec but after 27 Nov.

I am expecting after the egg bowl someone will leak something..

And believe it or not, I bet you Caddy already knows who the next coach is and he probably already knows he has a gig too.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am expecting after the egg bowl someone will leak something..

I think nothing will happen before the Iron Bowl which is played 2 days after the Egg Bowl.  I think the players are playing hard for Cadillac and having something come out BEFORE the Iron Bowl will not let us play our A game against bama.   

Edited by 81spacetiger

7 minutes ago, 81spacetiger said:

I think nothing will happen before the Iron Bowl which is played 2 days after the Egg Bowl.  I think the players are playing hard for Cadillac and having something come out BEFORE the Iron Bowl will not let us play our A game against bama.   

it probably won't be up to Auburn, like how someone from Miss state leaked Cohen 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

it probably won't be up to Auburn, like how someone from Miss state leaked Cohen 

Could be.  If Lane doesn't sign the new Ole Miss contract offer by 25 Nov, that will be enough to fan the rumor flames and noone has to say anything other than Lane hasn't signed the contract... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Absolutely. VT had lost 7 games straight before beating Freeze…. Tough to get much worse than that

Then you know absolutely nothing of college football.   No matter what their season is this year, VT is 100 % a better football program than Liberty.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Sunday morning reflections FWIW. My preferred list has narrowed after yesterday. Feeze is off and Kiffin is off.  Caddy is now #1 and if he keeps it close with bammer with a banged up team I say give him a shot at the HC job. Get a proven OC and DC behind him and turn them loose. Give them two years to recruit and turn this ship around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 3
  • Dislike 3

7 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

My Sunday morning reflections FWIW. My preferred list has narrowed after yesterday. Feeze is off and Kiffin is off.  Caddy is now #1 and if he keeps it close with bammer with a banged up team I say give him a shot at the HC job. Get a proven OC and DC behind him and turn them loose. Give them two years to recruit and turn this ship around.

And after 2 years we're looking again.  I love Cadillac, but he is NOT ready to be a head coach at a power 5 school.  Perhaps at a lesser school like Deion has done, but we have got to have someone with experience.  Being a head coach requires way to much knowledge and managing of people to give to anyone with only 4 games under their belt.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

So you base your evaluation of a coach on 1 game? 

4 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

And after 2 years we're looking again.  I love Cadillac, but he is NOT ready to be a head coach at a power 5 school.  Perhaps at a lesser school like Deion has done, but we have got to have someone with experience.  Being a head coach requires way to much knowledge and managing of people to give to anyone with only 4 games under their belt.

You are probably right but Caddy has been around the AU program a long time and knows how it's run. I just like his enthusiasm and the way players respond him. I think he would be a great recruiter from day one since he already knows the territory and HS coaches. I give him an edge on Deion.

25 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Once again, the likelihood of a “proven OC/DC” wanting to come coach for a green 3 year position coach is pretty low. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Once again, the likelihood of a “proven OC/DC” wanting to come coach for a green 3 year position coach is pretty low. 

I think you are right on this. As much as we love Caddy we gotta be logical 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

You are probably right but Caddy has been around the AU program a long time and knows how it's run. I just like his enthusiasm and the way players respond him. I think he would be a great recruiter from day one since he already knows the territory and HS coaches. I give him an edge on Deion.

experience matters.    He needs to learn from his successes and failures.   He needs the knowledge of what happens when he makes head coaching choices,  and if he should make that choice again or not.  He has not had many "hard to make decisions" that burned him.  There will be many situations that he has never been in before.   He will make good and bad decisions  and learn,  but  Auburn is not the place for that.   we eat our own at any sign of weakness. 

The rah rah stuff is awesome.  I love it and really helps a team a lot,  but it will only take you so far (Houston Nutt).  Other teams have their own rah rah stuff going on.   

Caddy is living off getting the players motivated,  which is more than half the battle.    When he has 4+ years experience as a head coach,  he will be ready,  and bad ass.    Do what we can to help him get the best job he can and don't be afraid to let him go.   He will be back when he is ready.  It will be worth the wait.
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Keep it close to Bama..Like the last guy right? Goodness, you really reflected on this?

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

More autonomy, higher pay, chance to coach in the best league in college football might be a plus to some.

I would guess it is more about opportunity than ego.

i would bet my home that if caddy was hired auburn would seriously have his back. i would much rather have caddy than some jackleg that wants to use auburn as a stepping stone for a better job. he knows football and he would have a ton of GA's watching his back. i just think he can do better than a lot of people think. and i think we get him at a bargain since we are giving him a shot which frees up extra money to get the best coordinators out there. i am not interested in arguing about it because by now we know pretty much what folks want or hope for.

• Like 4