do we cover caddy in the new hire?

aubiefifty

i would love there to be guarantees he will not be kicked to the curb with the new hire. we were so down and he gave us hope. i am not sure we bought in so much since we hired dye. i think it would be a bad look for us to allow caddy to leave after he pretty much resurrected our program. plus he can recruit and he genuinely loves auburn. i do not think auburn would let him get away. i wonder how many kids caddy talked out of leaving when harsin was spewing his poison. and i still think harsin thinks southerners are stupid as hell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

No guarantees for who the new coach retains or doesnt.  Now it would be idiotic for the new coach to NOT retain Caddy!  If he doesnt, Caddy will be taken care of by Auburn as a part of Cohen's staff if need be, but Caddy will either go to the NFL as a RB coach or be picked up by another major school in the conference probably Ten; Texas; OK - it will be a school that wont create drama such as uat or ugag.

That's a tricky one. On one hand, AU has been frequently dragged through the coals for handcuffing coaches. People saying the PTB tell them what to do, etc. etc. That would be what you're suggesting.

On the other hand, it might be committing suicide for the PTB NOT to require him to be retained. I think it would start the whole thing off on the wrong foot.

On the other hand number 2, any good coach that is a fit for AU would openly embrace him and think he's a great hire regardless of what the PTB says.

So the proper outcome is to hire someone who "gets it" and is a good fit and tell him he has the keys to do what is best for the program. Knowing full well that he's going to embrace and see the huge value in retaining Caddy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I too want Caddy to be retained, but look at it from a new coaches position.   Would you want to keep the person that everyone would want to replace you with the first time things go sideways?

• Like 2

Emotions aside, it would be crazy to handcuff the new hire in any way. There should be no requirements period, let the man pick his own staff completely to fulfill the needs to accomplish our goal. Now having said that, Carnell is an obvious option for any new coach to retain. We could go on and on about the reasons to keep him, just doesn’t need to be forced imo. 

• Like 4

The quickest way to divide the Auburn Family and set us back to Harsin tenure as far as emotions go.....Fire Caddy.  In order to repair that ordeal would be for Caddy to find a significant coaching job with a big pay increase - HC at a school like Ark State/Liberty.  Best case an NFL RB job to alleviate any recruiting battles.  Then it would take a winning season for 2023.  So you are looking at 8+ months of negativity between Auburn fans and media fueling it to hurt Auburn's recruiting.

Edited by AUY2K
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

The quickest way to divide the Auburn Family and set us back to Harsin tenure as far as emotions go.....Fire Caddy.  In order to repair that ordeal would be for Caddy to find a significant coaching job with a big pay increase - best case an NFL job to alleviate any recruiting battles.  Then it would take a winning season for 2023.  So you are looking at 8+ months of negativity between Auburn fans and media fueling it to hurt Auburn's recruiting.

It's not being fired, it's not being retained. Emotions are great on Saturday at JHS but, you don't make hiring decisions based on them.

It's entirely possible the new coach feels Caddy will mesh well with his staff and keep him. The opposite is also possible.

Edited by selias

I don’t think you mandate that the new coach retain him. But I think you can ask whether that’s in the coach’s plan, and including it in your screening of candidates. Turning Caddy loose at this point risks losing the team and fans from the start. So it’s a valid question to ask. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Emotions aside, it would be crazy to handcuff the new hire in any way. There should be no requirements period, let the man pick his own staff completely to fulfill the needs to accomplish our goal. Now having said that, Carnell is an obvious option for any new coach to retain. We could go on and on about the reasons to keep him, just doesn’t need to be forced imo. 

I agree with this...new coach should have full decision on hires BUT he would be foolish to pass on Caddy.  He must be retained. 

Also, I wonder if Tank would stay another year depending upon the new Coach and possibly Caddy returning? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

IMO, they had better make him part of the deal with whomever is hired as the new head coach.  I don't see any way that it could be seen as a negative by the media, fans, or new head coach given what a tremendous asset he is to the program.  He has given Auburn the best press and publicity it has had in the last 4 or 5 years these last three weeks, and I suspect it will continue that way till the end of the season.  He single-handedly brought tens of thousands of fans BACK to the stadium this last weekend and many times more than that back to the TV to watch the game. The entire game was an endorsement for Auburn and the people there, and the extended post-game coverage was absolutely priceless for the image of Auburn Football.  Numerous teammates from his years here as player and his years in the NFL showed up in-person to support both Coach Caddy and the program. I'm 100% convinced that Coach Caddy was the only man in the program that could have pulled that off.  Despite it being considered a lost season by most fans with multiple embarrassing losses on national TV, a large number of players leaving the program before and during the season, a losing record that should be even worse, a completely disconnected coaching staff, a huge decline in fan support and game attendance, and a team full of what seemed to be apathetic players who were just going thru the motions, Coach Caddy made the decision that he was going to do literally everything he could to turn the entire thing around for the last 4 games of the season.   It really is a minor miracle given how bad everything was.  For the very first time this year the Auburn football team is playing their hearts out as one team, giving 100% effort and fighting for each other and the Auburn family.  That is plain to see for anyone paying attention.  Coach Carnell "Caddy" Williams exploits as a player at Auburn and as a professional in the NFL give him unquestionable credibility with the players and potential recruits, and his actions as the interim head coach have proven him to be a true Auburn man thru and thru.  It would be criminally stupid not to keep him on staff, assuming he wants to stay.

Edited by BHDAU1
  • Love 2

You can’t force the coach to hire certain people on his staff.   We need to give him autonomy to hire the people he wants in his staff.  
With that said, if the new coach is smart, he will offer Caddy a major role on his staff.  
Caddy may want to go somewhere else in hopes his career path brings him back to AU to be HC down the line.  

The new coach needs autonomy to hire and fire at will, Caddy notwithstanding.

But I sure hope the new coach opts to offer Caddy a RB coaching job, which is his current ceiling based upon his experience.

In the end, I don't care whose feelings we hurt with the new coaching hire and scheme.  I'm just tired of losing when we should be winning.

I have no heroes to root for in this decision.  I just want what's best for AU and winning.  We've lost enough lately.

I can't think of a case where the interim coach was retained by the incoming coach although I would I would think it has happened a few times. Incoming HCs often keep a couple of position coaches, but rarely a coordinator. However Caddy is a special case. I know the popular thing right now is blame every negative thing on Harsin, except things that can be blamed on Malzahn. But I do have a tiny bone to pick with Coach Lac. I think he should have gone crazy to get Judkins in our last recruiting class, no matter what CBH or anybody else said. Of course Harsin had the final say. But If he did not trust position coaches that he hired, that's on him. IMHO QJ is the best RB produced in the state of Alabama in quite a while. He was criminally underrated. I've noticed that word being used a lot recently by some posters.

8 hours ago, autan said:

I can't think of a case where the interim coach was retained by the incoming coach although I would I would think it has happened a few times. Incoming HCs often keep a couple of position coaches, but rarely a coordinator. However Caddy is a special case. I know the popular thing right now is blame every negative thing on Harsin, except things that can be blamed on Malzahn. But I do have a tiny bone to pick with Coach Lac. I think he should have gone crazy to get Judkins in our last recruiting class, no matter what CBH or anybody else said. Of course Harsin had the final say. But If he did not trust position coaches that he hired, that's on him. IMHO QJ is the best RB produced in the state of Alabama in quite a while. He was criminally underrated. I've noticed that word being used a lot recently by some posters.

I think you actually told the reason they are not usually retained. They are usually the OC or DC. In Caddy, a position coach that is a good recruiter. I think it will depend on the personality dynamics. Position coach cannot start off with more team support than HC. Caddy has to handle that the right way or he is not coming back.

On 11/14/2022 at 8:55 AM, alabastertiger said:

I too want Caddy to be retained, but look at it from a new coaches position.   Would you want to keep the person that everyone would want to replace you with the first time things go sideways?

a new coach could win a lot of goodwill from auburn fans. not only did caddy give us a little bit of hope he also continues to bring in great running backs. why would a coach really disagree? folks on here claim running back coach is the easiest job on a coaching staff. i understand coaches want their own picks but at the end of the day it is a small thing. i hope wherever caddy ends up or if he stays i hope he finds a coach to help mentor him and keep moving him forward. he is such a refreshing change and he really does care about his kids. to some that is a cliche but i believe caddy would be a great role model and teacher. his love is genuine and in my opinion caddy is the type of person that makes auburn so special. alabaster do we really want a coach that is scared? weak sauce my man weak sauce. auburn needs a great coach that understands the auburn culture. and right now to me caddy defines that. and we would also probably get bashed if we let caddy get away from us.

On 11/14/2022 at 9:07 AM, selias said:

You don't hire a coach and then tell him who he has to retain from the prior staff.

yes yes i understand this dude i am 67 years old so i have a little bit of a clue. but you people are looking at it wrong. punt bama punt. kick six. you guys know the list and i think caddy belongs on that list for how he turned the team around on short notice and gave auburn their pride back. i stand by my words.

27 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

yes yes i understand this dude i am 67 years old so i have a little bit of a clue. but you people are looking at it wrong. punt bama punt. kick six. you guys know the list and i think caddy belongs on that list for how he turned the team around on short notice and gave auburn their pride back. i stand by my words.

Sure, I agree, put him on that list. However, that doesn't guarantee him a spot on the next staff.

Just now, selias said:

Sure, I agree, put him on that list. However, that doesn't guarantee him a spot on the next staff.

that is fine. you are not changing your viewpoint and i am not changing mine. let us do something remarkable on this board and agree to disagree.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

giphy.gif

Why did I think you were in your 30s

because i am still stunning good looking?

• Like 3