Has Lane Kiffin ever won a big game?

TeamZero77

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s hilarious to me that people complain about CLK but want them some caddy after beating a 3-7 aggies team in one of the worst offensive games I’ve seen in my life. And I watch Thursday night football every week, so that’s telling. 

That part. It’s the equivalent of giving a 16 year old who still has a paper driver’s license the keys to a tractor trailer loaded with explosives and sending them coast to coast. Yeah, it CAN end well but the lack of experience makes it highly unlikely. 

Edited by banditmwp
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don’t think it’s necessary to tear in to caddy for his lack of experience. It’s a waters wet debate. It’s highly doubtful he’s even in play this cycle. But he should be get a permanent position of some sort and be in consideration down the road. Imo 15 years from now whoever we’re about to hire will probably be gone (hopefully after winning many many “big games”). And caddy will still be here.

46 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I agree. I see folks refer to Freeze as Gus 2.0 but I’m not sure I’d even give him that much credit. Gus has by far the better resume. 

And you are probably the same people who claim that Auburn is a way better school than Ole Miss and should never be on their level.   That guy (HF) took that team and beat the best team in college football the last ten years two in a row.    With the money, recruiting footprint, fan base and support, any coach worth his salt should have Auburn competing every year for SEC West championships.   

Lane Kiffin beat #4 Oregon (team that finished with 12 wins) in 2011 - knocking Oregon out of title contention. 

Big games are normally only winnable when the talent is comparable. 

4 hours ago, banditmwp said:

That part. It’s the equivalent of giving a 16 year old who still has a paper driver’s license the keys to a tractor trailer loaded with explosives and sending them coast to coast. Yeah, it CAN end well but the lack of experience makes it highly unlikely. 

So. Coach BOOM  it is!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I don’t think it’s necessary to tear in to caddy for his lack of experience. It’s a waters wet debate. It’s highly doubtful he’s even in play this cycle. But he should be get a permanent position of some sort and be in consideration down the road. Imo 15 years from now whoever we’re about to hire will probably be gone (hopefully after winning many many “big games”). And caddy will still be here.

The only way you guarantee that is if it's an AD position. You don't drop a bank full of money on a HC and then tell him who he has to keep.

We have so many mixed emotions with Freeze, Kiffin, and Sanders. Assuming its none of these, then who would have the resume to turn our program around that actually might take this job?

6 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I agree. I see folks refer to Freeze as Gus 2.0 but I’m not sure I’d even give him that much credit. Gus has by far the better resume. 

But Gus wasn't at Ole Miss.

I guess the point of that comment is if people are going to say "Lane can do more with Auburn's resources than he ever will at OM" but then want to compare Freeze's accomplishments at OM to Gus' here, it's not a fair fight. Not saying you are making that argument, or maybe you are, but several do it often.

edit: should have kept reading onto page 2 and just gave @aubaseball a +1

Edited by Auburn02

18 hours ago, AURex said:

He's taken Ole Miss from the dumpster to the competitor category.

Freeze - “Been there, done that. Won bigger games.”

17 hours ago, auskull said:

We have so many mixed emotions with Freeze, Kiffin, and Sanders. Assuming its none of these, then who would have the resume to turn our program around that actually might take this job?

Jeff Grimes comes immediately to mind.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What has he won?

27 years as an outstanding assistant coach and O-coordinator at the P5 level. Just as likely to win big at Auburn as was Jimbo at A&M, Richt at Miami or other notable failures. AU people wanted Kirby. Grimes is every bit as solid a gamble as was Kirby.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

27 years as an outstanding assistant coach and O-coordinator at the P5 level. Just as likely to win big at Auburn as was Jimbo at A&M, Richt at Miami or other notable failures. AU people wanted Kirby. Grimes is every bit as solid a gamble as was Kirby.

Don't think it will be him. Not a big enuf splash.  He may be a solid choice though just not a big fish

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Don't think it will be him. Not a big enuf splash.  He may be a solid choice though just not a big fish

Probably not, but the question was  (paraphrasing) If not Freeze, Kiffin or Sanders, then who?  Grimes is my #1 but I don't think that's too likely to happen. Maybe a 30% chance?

To me, he screams turbo charged Tubs, in terms of how I see his career played out. And that may not be bad for Auburn. He’s going to lose 1, maybe 2, inexplicable games a year. He’s going to have you consistently around 9-10 wins. He’s going to look really good most games 

I don’t see that as being a bad thing for a program that hasn’t won double digit games in consecutive seasons in my lifetime. But some might 

Like others have said, I guess it depends on how you define a big game.  I myself don't quite understand why so many Auburn fans want to hire Lane Kiffin.  I've seen youtube videos, heard podcasts, and read comments where a number of people have called him a "top 10" coach, and even one guy calling him a possible top 5 college coach!  They were not talking about his position on Auburn's list of candidates but stating where they thought he ranked among all college coaches today.   What exactly makes Lane Kiffin a "top 5" or "top 10" coach"  He has won just 60% of his games as a head coach in college and the NFL. His record is 90 wins out of 149 games overall. If you only consider his win percentage as a college head coach it climbs to 66%. Lane Kiffin has won 85 games out of a total of 129 games as a college head coach. Take a guess at who also has won 66% of his games just as Auburn's head coach.... Gus Malzhan won 68 games out of 103 as head coach at Auburn for a winning percentage of 66%, and that win percentage climbs to 68% for his career as a college head coach.  His record is 94 wins in 138 total games as of today. I'm not saying that I am against Auburn hiring Kiffin but to call him a top 10 coach is a stretch, and calling him a top 5 coach is just not close to realistic by any metric. Hugh Freeze, for example, has won .67% of his games as a college head coach with an overall record of 83 wins in 124 games.  Do these people also consider Gus Malzhan and Hugh Freeze top 10 coaches? A lot of people talk about Kiffin being a great recruiter too but the numbers don't really show that at Ole Miss thus far.  As far as within the SEC his class have ranked 12th in 2020, 6th in 2021, 11th in 2022, and sits at 9th for 2023.  During that same span from 2020 to 2023 Auburns recruiting classes have ranked 5th in 2020, 8th in 2021, 6th in 2022, and sits at 11th for 2023.  

Edited by BHDAU1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What has he won?

So the actual answer would be nothing.

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

• Haha 1