Men vs Winthrop

tgrogan21

Cardwell commits the foul and Winthrop makes both.

85-55 Auburn

Tre missed jumper and Winthrop ball. Another foul on Zep and Winthrop goes back to the line. They make the first and Auburn takes a 30 second timeout.

85-56 Auburn 2:53 left

Edited by tgrogan21

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

At work keeping up with the score. How’s Flan looking tonight?

He looks OK. 

• Thanks 1

Winthrop makes the 2nd.

85-57 Auburn

Traore missed 3. Winthrop missed 3 but they get the offensive board. Missed layup and Tre with the rebound. He has 5 rebounds from the 1 position with around 12 minutes played.

Zep turnover. 2 minutes left.

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

At work keeping up with the score. How’s Flan looking tonight?

He's been a bit passive on offense. But he's been dealing with a turf toe injury.

• Thanks 1

Zep missed 3. Traore offensive board but misses the layup.

Cardwell steal, and then the dunk after the pass by Westry.

89-62 Auburn

Westry gets his pocket picked at the last second and Winthrop hits a buzzer beater 3.

89-65 Auburn wins!

Less than competitive opponent, but I was encouraged by Auburn figuring some sort of consistent production in the second half. Other than Wendell, Westry is clearly the most skilled & dynamic offensive player amongst the guards/wings. Wonderful playmaking vision 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Less than competitive opponent, but I was encouraged by Auburn figuring some sort of consistent production in the second half. Other than Wendell, Westry is clearly the most skilled & dynamic offensive player amongst the guards/wings. Wonderful playmaking vision 

Agree with this. Westry looks like he has the ability to create and score.

I think our inability to shoot against good defenses will carry over from last year though. The lack of offensive output from Zep, KD, Flan, and Jaylin is gonna weigh this team down when it counts. Can’t tell what we have in Traore yet but Broome and Cardwell at the 5 is elite. 

• Like 1

Broome was much better last night!  Very encouraging!

Great to see Westry out there!   He’s going to be a good one!!!

Our shooting was much better!

I see potential in this team.   If we keep improving, we may be able to make a good run.  

Outside of maybe 5 mins in the first half this was a MUCH better offensive game. Crazy how just hitting a handful of shots makes such a huge difference. And this team has a lot of potential when they can hit some shots. Our defense has been unrelenting so far. Excited to see how we hold up against more talented teams. Winthrop is no push over but we had them outmatched at several positions. That Telford kid though is a good one. Broome kept stuffing him and he just kept on coming and ending up with some decent stats. 

With Westry added to the mix we have a LOT of depth at the 1 and 2 position. Going to be a challenge to divy up those minutes. Hoping Westry can give time at the 3 spot as well just so we have more options to get him in the game. 

3 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

Agree with this. Westry looks like he has the ability to create and score.

I think our inability to shoot against good defenses will carry over from last year though. The lack of offensive output from Zep, KD, Flan, and Jaylin is gonna weigh this team down when it counts. Can’t tell what we have in Traore yet but Broome and Cardwell at the 5 is elite. 

None of those 4 are going to be our primary scorers. 5-8 shots each night on average is what I expect them to get. WG, Westry, Broome should/will be the guys who determine how we go on offense. FWIW I think Traore is going to grow into a force. He's raw but has a very high ceiling. 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Outside of maybe 5 mins in the first half this was a MUCH better offensive game. Crazy how just hitting a handful of shots makes such a huge difference. And this team has a lot of potential when they can hit some shots. Our defense has been unrelenting so far. Excited to see how we hold up against more talented teams. Winthrop is no push over but we had them outmatched at several positions. That Telford kid though is a good one. Broome kept stuffing him and he just kept on coming and ending up with some decent stats. 

With Westry added to the mix we have a LOT of depth at the 1 and 2 position. Going to be a challenge to divy up those minutes. Hoping Westry can give time at the 3 spot as well just so we have more options to get him in the game. 

He played some three last night. He actually played the 1, 2 & 3. Think our defense will be very good again.

Nice to see Broome play well. And to see it acknowledged in here. Recalling the thread in last week's game one would conclude he is terrible. The situational awareness of some Auburn fans is definitely lacking

In the last game where broome looked so bad. I commented he is better than that as I watched some of his film against some decent teams. I think as he gets healthy he will be very solid maybe a step below Elite. Traore has the tools but needs to decide where his strength is. While he has a nice stroke he should be looking inside first and onlu use the 3 to keep teams honest. That said part of that is on guards not feeding bigs inside. Flan did not appear as explosive this game but it was said he has turf toe that can take a while to heal and really impacts a player like Flan who relies on his explosiveness. Westry will get better and better as season goes and might even be a go to guy by end of Season. Moore is playing smartest of all the players on the court by boarding scoring and defending without being noticed. He is playing within himself. Cardwell is Cardwell Energy incorporated and developing a bit of an offense game.  Green like Moore is playing smart and efficient and is becoming our go to guy.  I keep watching Zep's shot and keep expecting him to get hot but they are just not falling.  KD is KD he helped us this game but you never know.  Tre is making the most of his minutes and will slowly earn more PT.

Guards need to feed the bigs o we can develop a strong inside game and then pass out for clean looks from outside. We have potential. 

• Thanks 1

I think when you combine our production from 4 and 5 this team is and will be elite. It's nice that we have players in those spots that can score in multiple ways. Broome/Traore/Williams all have options offensively and Cardwell knows his game and plays within it. I like what we are getting at the 3 right now. Is it nice if Flan or Moore has a big game scoring? Sure, but we don't need it. By all means feed them if they get hot, but otherwise, defend, rebound, and knock down a shot or two and we will ge good there. Liked some flashes from Chance. He is comfortable that is for sure. Really like what he and Donaldson add to this team. Excited to see what CBP does with his rotations. 

Zep shot 50% from three in this game and I think he is going to prove one of our better spot up shooters. At the two I would like him to look for his shot a bit more.

We played 11 guys 12+ minutes this game, with no one playing more than 24. That is real depth. I still prefer to have carved out starters and backups for rhythm purposes and expect to see that develop over the course of the season. I would expect changes in the rotations as Westry gets to 100%. I think he, Flan, and Traore will all be starters before it is over, but we will see. 

• Like 1