What if this hire hasn't been mentioned, just like our last search

TeamZero77

So let's say that this hire will go just like the Chizik and Harsin hire and we get blindsided by the hiring of a coach that nobody has mentioned. This search seems to resemble our previous searches where the media is telling us that Kiffin is our main guy and we're gonna make him a big offer. Kinda the way media kept reporting it was going to be Turner Gill in 2008 and Mario Cristobal in 2020. Then Chizik and Harsin come WAY out of left field. 

So just for sh*ts and giggles, name me 2 or 3 coaches that you think might blindside us this time. Forget Kiffin, Deion, Freeze, Grimes, Mark Stoops, Dabo, Rhule or Cadillac. They've all been mentioned alot. And your choices don't have to be who you hope will get the job but more about who you could see Auburn hiring without anybody even knowing they were interested. 

Here's mine:  

Bob Stoops

Tom Herman

Dan Mullen (Cohen and Mullen are familiar)

Clay Helton (AU player, coached at USC)

Mack Brown

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Mack Brown

Not happening. He’s almost old enough to run for President. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Dan Mullen

This would cause an absolute meltdown and Cohen would immediately be fired! It ain't happening. 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back to the true point of the thread. 

Jim Harbaugh 

Brian Flores

Dave Doeren 

I don't see this happening so BEFORE you flame out on this remember that the point is just for sh*ts and giggles, name me 2 or 3 coaches that you think might blindside us this time.

11 minutes ago, woodford said:

All the Sean Payton talk. Does he like recruiting?

No idea, but for enough money I can see him getting on board.  But to me if he was the candidate he would have been hired already.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, woodford said:

All the Sean Payton talk. Does he like recruiting?

People are just throwing out names as a what if. Nobody truly expects Sean Payton to come to Auburn. Or even entertain it. He is an NFL guy. Might as well throw in Bill Belichick. 
but it is fun to think about …

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Bear Bryant has a better chance at being Auburn's next head coach. 

He drinks to much to recruit obsessively!

I honestly hope it's none of the names mentioned. I think there are serious, serious, serious red flags with all of them:

Luke Fickell - was born, raised, and has spent the entirety of his coaching career in the state of Ohio. Swap Ohio with Idaho and you've got Bryan Harsin 2: Electric Boogaloo

James Franklin - has spent most of the last decade as the Gus Malzahn of the Big Ten: wins plenty of games, loses a couple of head scratchers every year, and can't beat the titans of his conference, especially on the road. Thank you, next. 

Tom Herman - underwhelming at Texas. Under/unemployed since he was fired two years ago. I imagine there's a reason for that. 

Clay Helton - underwhelming (to put it mildly) at USC and a poor recruiter to boot. Talent pool-wise, USC is probably one of the five or so easiest recruiting gigs in the country and this dude beefed it. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. 

Dan Mullen - brilliant offensive mind, excellent QB developer but famously on the (badly) losing end of Kirby Smart's "there's not a coach out there who can out-coach recruiting" speech. Nope. 

For candidates that aren't being talked about, I would put Chris Klieman, Lance Leipold, and Sonny Dykes before any of the names mentioned here. 

When an expectation gets set that you’re getting the family a puppy (the initial expectation was lane, prime, and then of course  .. freeze) it’s great if you surprise then instead with a pony (ie dabo, Payton). But you can’t bring home a gerbil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AUY2K said:

If it was Sean Payton - wouldnt he have been announced by now?

Not really, they have to announce Keven Steele as head coach first.  Then, Steele will announce his coordinators.

• Haha 2