No Rooney Rule in CFB

Systems

Legitimate question - not trying to start anything: Does Auburn have enough ethnic-minority candidates (legitimate candidates) in its top 5 coaching search: Kiffin, Dabo, Freeze, Dykes, Rhule, Fickle, ... maybe Sanders and likely not Williams long term. I'm not saying we have to go out and hire Sylvester Croom (a great man), but with our new administration looking 1 shade lighter now than in early August, could we be doing more? Will we? 

Thanks & WDE

Edited by Systems

25 minutes ago, Systems said:

Legitimate question - not trying to start anything: Does Auburn have enough ethnic-minority candidates (legitimate candidates) in its top 5 coaching search: Kiffin, Dabo, Freeze, Dykes, Rhule, Fickle, ... maybe Sanders and likely not Williams long term. I'm not saying we have to go out and hire Sylvester Croom (a great man), but with our new administration looking 1 shade lighter now than in early August, could we be doing more? Will we? 

Thanks & WDE

I think that’s a legitimate question.  I feel like we have a good number of minority position coaches on the field, which is great. 😊

• Like 1

We don’t know for sure who has or will be interviewed for the position but I’m sure Coach Williams will get a shot. If you look around the landscape there’s not a lot of proven minority coaches yet but there’s certainly some up and comers who should/will get opportunities after the season is over across college football. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

We don’t know for sure who has or will be interviewed for the position but I’m sure Coach Williams will get a shot. If you look around the landscape there’s not a lot of proven minority coaches yet but there’s certainly some up and comers who should/will get opportunities after the season is over across college football. 

Hard to be proven if you don't get a shot in the first place.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Don’t disagree just stating the reality of the moment. 

Really good read on the topic from Chris Low before this season began.

But my short answer is yes, we need some kind of Rooney Rule agreed upon in the conference (NCAA can't mandate it).  Lots of great minority coaches aren't even being looked at for coordinators, much less HC jobs and that's a damn shame.  When roughly 50% of the on-field assistants are Black, it stands to reason that there needs to be better representation at the HC levels.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33977392/why-there-no-black-college-football-head-coaches-sec

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Just my opinion- the Rooney Rule is great in theory but in practice it's not good enough. Getting an interview because it's the rule is not the same as getting an interview because you have a shot at the job.

I don't have a solution. Mandating just 1 interview for a minority coach isn't good enough.

Just now, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Just my opinion- the Rooney Rule is great in theory but in practice it's not good enough. Getting an interview because it's the rule is not the same as getting an interview because you have a shot at the job.

I don't have a solution. Mandating just 1 interview for a minority coach isn't good enough.

Also- the NFL Flores lawsuit punched all kinds of holes in the Rooney interview practices.

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Really good read on the topic from Chris Low before this season began.

But my short answer is yes, we need some kind of Rooney Rule agreed upon in the conference (NCAA can't mandate it).  Lots of great minority coaches aren't even being looked at for coordinators, much less HC jobs and that's a damn shame.  When roughly 50% of the on-field assistants are Black, it stands to reason that there needs to be better representation at the HC levels.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33977392/why-there-no-black-college-football-head-coaches-sec

Excellent observation. There is definitely a glass ceiling for minority assistants….see Joe Whitt…Sr and Jr

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Systems said:

Thanks & WDE

How is a head coach-candidate's race relevant? 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yep. I think we need more whites on the basketball team. Because hard to be proven if you don't get a shot. 

(Hope you're well, Brad!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Yep. I think we need more whites on the basketball team. Because hard to be proven if you don't get a shot. 

(Hope you're well, Brad!)

Well that's an awfully bad comparison.

(Hope you're well too!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Awwww booo!  This was in the donor forum and now I have to deal with the ****-show that is the political forum because it got moved?!

DAMNIT TO HELL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Constitutionally

6 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

It's a start.

Maybe, one day, opportunity disparity will be more freely discussed and perhaps less politicized. This is a great opportunity for Auburn to demonstrate inclusiveness and other great benefits of the spirit of the NFL Rooney Rule. We could be missing out on some great candidates and certainly missing out on a highly-encouraging advertising campaign (raise money). We would much rather have ESPN do an article on us for trying to hire ethnic diversity than ignoring the concept. When we talk about rising-up and not being little brother, this is one of those times ot level-up. 

#WDE

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well that's an awfully bad comparison.

(Hope you're well too!)

My first thought as well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Systems said:

Constitutionally

How so?

(I am progressive btw, I just don't see how the constitution applies here.  The 14th restricts government actions; however, it does not mandate the government into action as far as I remember.  Other counsel feel free to chime in.)

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Exactly. Hire the best quality and best fit you can, despite race.

8 hours ago, Systems said:

Constitutionally

How’s that? The Constitution is supposed to be “ color-blind”.

22 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I would answer that by saying I agree, but the current state of Auburn's football program doesn't beg for a proving-ground hire.

8 hours ago, Didba said:

How so?

(I am progressive btw, I just don't see how the constitution applies here.  The 14th restricts government actions; however, it does not mandate the government into action as far as I remember.  Other counsel feel free to chime in.)

@Didba@NolaAuTigerWhat do you call 1000 attorneys at the bottom of the ocean? A good start. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I would answer that by saying I agree, but the current state of Auburn's football program doesn't beg for a proving-ground hire.

Its a much more systematic problem than just Auburn