Any thoughts Shane Beamer

NES

On 11/19/2022 at 9:45 PM, NES said:

Overachiever at USCe

I don't think he is overachieving.  Holtz and Spurrier in the beginning were doing well there.  Beamer is a good coach but I do not think is a cha.mpionship coach.

12 minutes ago, Carnell said:

I don't think he is overachieving.  Holtz and Spurrier in the beginning were doing well there.  Beamer is a good coach but I do not think is a cha.mpionship coach.

What makes you think he's not a championship coach? He's in year two of rebuilding a team that was 2-8 the year before he took over. It's his first head coaching job. I'd put his potential to field championship teams well ahead of Kiffin or Freeze.

Our last go at stealing coaches from USCe didn't go too well.  

I'm a hard pass on a middle-of-the-pack coach.  Finishing 4th every year in the West is all we would get from that hire...

He's got potential, but i don't put too much stock in the "look how he turned around a 2-8 team!" thing. That 2-8 record was from the 2020 all SEC schedule. Likely would have ended up 5-7 if they had the standard 3 OOC cupcakes and didn't have to play ole miss and LSU in their place, but regardless He is overall doing a good job for South Carolina so far. 

On 11/21/2022 at 9:33 AM, Mikey said:

What makes you think he's not a championship coach? He's in year two of rebuilding a team that was 2-8 the year before he took over. It's his first head coaching job. I'd put his potential to field championship teams well ahead of Kiffin or Freeze.

While I think his game planning and playcalling are good I don't believe it is the caliber to beating a top quality team.  For instance, in the Georgia game he didn't try to control the blitz by running receivers vacated by the blitzes, he didn't try to get his backs outside the box with screen passes.  Against Florida, I thought if he ran TE clearing routes he could have been more successful.  Defensively I think SC is pretty good.  They may give up points and yards but they are fundamentally sounds.  Most of the points and yards given up appear to be that they are lacking somewhat at the talent level.

• Like 1