Jump to content

Lane Kiffin's commitment to Ole Miss questioned as Rebels lose in blowout fashion at Arkansas


DKW 86
 Share

Recommended Posts





2 hours ago, VegasEagle said:

If Kiffin stays at Ole Miss, and Sanders to MSU.......... Dang, we screwed

up 

Or more likely we dodged two bullets.

Auburn has hired a professional AD. I'm convinced he'll hire the guy he thinks will be the most successful at Auburn. If it's Kiffin or Sanders I won't be thrilled but then I'm not a professional AD.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Strychnine said:

 

How do we know anyone is interested in coaching at Auburn long-term?  Coaches generally do not leave Auburn for greener pastures.  If they succeed, Auburn makes them comfortable.  If they do not, Auburn makes them uncomfortable.  Auburn will pay good money to keep a coach, and they will pay good money to fire one too.  It is the same reason coaches generally do not leave other SEC powers for greener pastures.  When was the last time a head coach was poached from Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida, or Alabama?

None of that says anything about Deion, but why is his potential longevity any more questionable than other candidates?

I was responding to a post questioning if Lane would leave us prematurely down the road. If we can question if Lane can do it, it makes sense to question if Deion might too. So you just reinforced the point I was making. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I was responding to a post questioning if Lane would leave us prematurely down the road. If we can question if Lane can do it, it makes sense to question if Deion might too. So you just reinforced the point I was making. 

His history suggests he will leave prematurely one way or the other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, autiger88 said:

I swear every coach that might be our coach there is some Auburn fans who's worried about him leaving good lord 🤣 

We could hire Gus back and people would be worried he'd leave

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

It does not.  In any way, shape of form it does not.   This has been discussed ad nauseum.  

Every single move Kiffin has made has been a step up.  He left USC to take the HC job with the Raiders, and he was only like 31 years old, that is a MASSIVE jump.  He left  UT for USC and that was a step up….USC was a powerhouse, coming off a Saban like dynasty and was known to be his dream job.  Most coaches not named Neyland or Fulmer would have made that same move. 

He left Bama to take a HC job, step up.  Left FAU to take an SEC HC job, step up.  And if he leaves Ole Miss for Auburn, it will be a step up.  The two programs are not equal, Kiffin wants championships and Auburn has the resources he needs that OM just does not have.  

What do you expect these coaches to do?  Its called career advancement.  

Can we just please let this narrative die because its not based in any fact, at all.  

This

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest MustardSeed

Here’s where we should be concerned about Lane IMO (and maybe somehow this magically changes at AU, but history tends show these things don’t suddenly change). 
 

Lane is in year 3 at OM and has a “depleted roster” as one poster said earlier. We use that to somehow claim he’s doing a great coaching job. It’s the same excuses we made for Gus and it never improved. 
If LK has a team in year 3 with a depleted roster it’s 100% on him. He finished 11th in the SEC in recruiting last year. This one of the big reasons we named for why Harsin had to be fired…and Harsin out recruited Lane last year on a year we considered our recruiting class a complete failure. 
 

This isn’t a do not hire issue…but a concern. If he’s a “portal machine”, what happens when the NCAA removes the immediate transfer rule implemented during Covid?  It’s been claimed he doesn’t build relationships with high school coaches. Sound familiar?  This board was unhinged on that same fact with Harsin. Why does Lane get a pass on the same issues we wanted Harsin fired for?  Because we like his offense? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Lane was lured from Auburn, it would more than likely be to the NFL and that would mean the man did the job Auburn hired him to do and was successful. 

Name the last coach Auburn had that any NFL franchise went after?  

I for once want a coach others covet…..because that means we have a damn good coach leading the program.  We need to get out of the cycle of the “Auburn man who is going to make his home here and drink Toomer’s lemonade” cause let’s be real, aside from Dye not a lot of them have sustained success.  

And if Lane DID leave for an NFL job Auburn would be in a MUCH stronger position than they are now to bring in another high level coach.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

 And if Lane DID leave for an NFL job Auburn would be in a MUCH stronger position than they are now to bring in another high level coach.  

YES!  This all day...why is everyone so worried Lane would move on.  Any coach we hire could move on and the evidence that he jumps ship to lesser or equal jobs does not exist. 

Honestly, the days of coaches spending 15-20 years at one place are over.  There are a few exceptions, but those coaches are pulling in top dollar and have top 5 programs.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish someone could show why Lane is such a dynamic coach?  Where is his recruiting prowess? Portal?  Eventually fools gold.  He is loosing games he should win and if you don't believe that you have not been watching him for too long.  He showed it everywhere he has been.  He did it last Saturday for goodness sake and almost lost to us this year...and he lost last year...the defense he puts out on the field isn't that good.  The excuse of he can't pay coordinators doesn't hold water as he could go and get good up and coming guys cheaper and still roll.  I hope I am wrong if he comes here but I am afraid in a couple of years we will be wanting to get rid of him.  I hope I am incorrect but I am afraid that he will come and we will not be satisfied in a couple of years....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest MustardSeed

Lane isn’t going to the NFL. When he was fired from Oakland he was publicly labeled as a “flat out liar” by an NFL owner!
Here’s the excerpt from a write up..

Fired by the Oakland Raiders (Oct. 1, 2008): Kiffin was fired by then-Raiders owner Al Davis, who called Kiffin a “flat-out liar” and cited the “propaganda” and lying” that had been going on for “weeks and months and a year and time.” Kiffin was four games into his second season with the Raiders when he was fired.

 

The NFL won’t be bringing him back. There’s not an owner out there that would jump on that history.  Not sure we should either but hey, he has a decent offense so 🙌

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that the "Lane Train" as some call it will not be a bit better than the "Gus Bus." I never got a ticket for "The Bus" and believe that "The Train" will not be any better, but about the same. That's just my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think the Sanders to Miss State has any legs.  Doesn’t make sense on several levels #1 being who would hire him?  Does Miss State have an AD?  Is this something that’s been in the works since Cohen was there?  I think this is just people taking what Barkley said and running with it.  Also Leach is doing decent over there.  The wheels will fall off eventually like they always do with Leach because he’s not recruiting very well.  As far as Gus, every program in the SEC knows he can’t recruit Olinemen in this league with his offense.  It’s a recipe for disaster.  Why would Gus want to leave UCF?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Lane isn’t going to the NFL. When he was fired from Oakland he was publicly labeled as a “flat out liar” by an NFL owner!
Here’s the excerpt from a write up..

Fired by the Oakland Raiders (Oct. 1, 2008): Kiffin was fired by then-Raiders owner Al Davis, who called Kiffin a “flat-out liar” and cited the “propaganda” and lying” that had been going on for “weeks and months and a year and time.” Kiffin was four games into his second season with the Raiders when he was fired.

 

The NFL won’t be bringing him back. There’s not an owner out there that would jump on that history.  Not sure we should either but hey, he has a decent offense so 🙌

I love Al Davis and the three hour long youtube video out there of him destroying Lane is pure gold but Al also forced Kiffin to draft JaMarcus Russell and frankly I think the nfl and college football world has seen how Lane has developed and changed on a personal level to warrant fresh eyes and new opportunities.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

Here’s where we should be concerned about Lane IMO (and maybe somehow this magically changes at AU, but history tends show these things don’t suddenly change). 
 

Lane is in year 3 at OM and has a “depleted roster” as one poster said earlier. We use that to somehow claim he’s doing a great coaching job. It’s the same excuses we made for Gus and it never improved. 
If LK has a team in year 3 with a depleted roster it’s 100% on him. He finished 11th in the SEC in recruiting last year. This one of the big reasons we named for why Harsin had to be fired…and Harsin out recruited Lane last year on a year we considered our recruiting class a complete failure. 
 

This isn’t a do not hire issue…but a concern. If he’s a “portal machine”, what happens when the NCAA removes the immediate transfer rule implemented during Covid?  It’s been claimed he doesn’t build relationships with high school coaches. Sound familiar?  This board was unhinged on that same fact with Harsin. Why does Lane get a pass on the same issues we wanted Harsin fired for?  Because we like his offense? 

Interesting points, and I’m not gonna touch answering those questions. Because, I’ve been asking myself some of those. 11th in recruiting is not good!!  I did not know that. Now I’m questioning his comments about NIL being the only issue that matters in recruiting. Maybe that was just to save face? 🤷‍♂️  Humm, You have enough NIL money to get transfers, but not recruits?  I so confused now. Lol

 

But he does have an unbelievable offensive mind!!  I have wanted this guy at Auburn since we fired Franklin!!  So I am on board with him!!  Now granted back then I wanted him as OC. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest MustardSeed
3 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Interesting points, and I’m not gonna touch answering those questions. Because, I’ve been asking myself some of those. 11th in recruiting is not good!!  I did not know that. Now I’m questioning his comments about NIL being the only issue that matters in recruiting. Maybe that was just to save face? 🤷‍♂️  Humm, You have enough NIL money to get transfers, but not recruits?  I so confused now. Lol

 

But he does have an unbelievable offensive mind!!  I have wanted this guy at Auburn since we fired Franklin!!  So I am on board with him!!  Now granted back then I wanted him as OC. 

 

I’ll totally support him but I won’t have unreal expectations if we get him. I guess maybe that’s a blessing in disguise. If I don’t expect much and he does pretty good I’ll enjoy it more. If I expect greatness and he does pretty good I’ll be let down. So I guess I win either way (unless he flops which I wouldn’t think he would)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, woodford said:

I won’t ever be in that position but quitting with work still left to do is a bad look and pretty cringe. 
 

If he accepted an offer then just leave. Why stay on and lead everyone else on? 
 

I get the semantics and all but still. 

 

If we hire Kiffin, he’ll do that to us one day. Especially if he’s successful. 

yep, and im telling yall, if he comes here and does well and the next coach at bama (when ever that is) stumbles, he is exactly the kind of person who would leave Auburn for Alabama.

im not saying thats a reason not to hire him, just an observation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

yep, and im telling yall, if he comes here and does well and the next coach at bama (when ever that is) stumbles, he is exactly the kind of person who would leave Auburn for Alabama.

im not saying thats a reason not to hire him, just an observation.

The last coach to leave Auburn for a better coaching job was when John Heisman left AU for Clemson and a $300 a year raise on 1900. That's 122 years ago. I suppose that string could be broken at any time but I find it unlikely.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mikey said:

The last coach to leave Auburn for a better coaching job was when John Heisman left AU for Clemson and a $300 a year raise on 1900. That's 122 years ago. I suppose that string could be broken at any time but I find it unlikely.

my point is that IF someone were to do it, Kiffin is exactly that someone.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

yep, and im telling yall, if he comes here and does well and the next coach at bama (when ever that is) stumbles, he is exactly the kind of person who would leave Auburn for Alabama.

im not saying thats a reason not to hire him, just an observation.

The gumps would never hire an Auburn HC to be their HC. It just won't happen.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I’ll totally support him but I won’t have unreal expectations if we get him. I guess maybe that’s a blessing in disguise. If I don’t expect much and he does pretty good I’ll enjoy it more. If I expect greatness and he does pretty good I’ll be let down. So I guess I win either way (unless he flops which I wouldn’t think he would)

Solid advice for everybody!!  Ironically, I have already seceded titles if he is the guy. He will field teams that score a ton of points, and will win a bunch of games. But the formula for championships has not changed!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

my point is that IF someone were to do it, Kiffin is exactly that someone.

Without a doubt!!  The media frenzy that would create is exactly who he is. On the bright side,  It would make whooping their ass even better!!  😊 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

I think that the "Lane Train" as some call it will not be a bit better than the "Gus Bus." I never got a ticket for "The Bus" and believe that "The Train" will not be any better, but about the same. That's just my opinion.

Yes, but what about the Lane Plane ... that is much better than a bus!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Solid advice for everybody!!  Ironically, I have already seceded titles if he is the guy. He will field teams that score a ton of points, and will win a bunch of games. But the formula for championships has not changed!!

We won a championship with Ted Roof's bend but not break defense.

Edited by alabastertiger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...