Lane Kiffin's commitment to Ole Miss questioned as Rebels lose in blowout fashion at Arkansas

DKW 86

2 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

If Lane was lured from Auburn, it would more than likely be to the NFL and that would mean the man did the job Auburn hired him to do and was successful. 

Name the last coach Auburn had that any NFL franchise went after?  

I for once want a coach others covet…..because that means we have a damn good coach leading the program.  We need to get out of the cycle of the “Auburn man who is going to make his home here and drink Toomer’s lemonade” cause let’s be real, aside from Dye not a lot of them have sustained success.  

And if Lane DID leave for an NFL job Auburn would be in a MUCH stronger position than they are now to bring in another high level coach.  

From HogNation:  Ole Miss Coach Lane Kiffin Revealed Key Info on Auburn Coaching Search at Arkansas Press Conference (msn.com)

Ole Miss Coach Lane Kiffin Revealed Key Info on Auburn Coaching Search at Arkansas Press Conference

Lots of non-denial denial, but at one point Kiffin just outright says what's up

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Did you catch it?

At the end of the Lane Kiffin press conference following the 42-27 loss to Arkansas. Did you catch it?

Following an absolute drubbing at the hands of Sam Pittman's Arkansas Razorbacks, where the Hogs went up 42-6 on a frosty night before switching the game plan to get out of the cold as soon as possible mode, Kiffin told you all you need to know about his future in Oxford at the 7:30 mark. 

Lane Kiffins response alluded to in the above msg

The last two questions center around Kiffin's plans for his career after the Egg Bowl. The response to whether Ole Miss made him a generous offer to stick around got a classic non-denial denial response.

Kiffin whipped out all the greatest hits. 

"I don't talk about that kind of stuff."

"I'm very happy here."

"Very appreciative of leadership here."

For those who don't spend a lot of time sifting through this sort of talk, let's translate the silent words said immediately after those statements.

"I don't talk about that kind of stuff. [My wife and agent do, so if I get home and moving boxes are in the floor, I know I'm going elsewhere.]"

"I'm very happy here. [But I will be even happier somewhere else should I leave because I will be sleeping on an even bigger mountain of cash, presumably with better fan support.]"

"Very appreciative of leadership here. [For either agreeing with my agent to give me an absurd amount of money or for giving me the opportunity to earn the chance for someone else to give me an absurd amount of money.]"

However, it was the answer to the last question at the 7:39 mark that said it all. This is where Kiffin either is doing the world's greatest troll job, or he's letting a couple of key guys he's developed a relationship with in the Mississippi media know this is a done deal.

The reporter indicates there are reports out there that Kiffin is Auburn's No. 1 target and asks what the future holds for him. 

Kiffin begins by repeating non-denial denials. 

"I love being here."

"I don't want to look ahead to next year."

But then he closes his press conference at the 7:53 mark by giving up on the usual verbal dancing coaches in his position typically cling to like a life preserver in the open seas. 

"Maybe if they watched the first half I wouldn't be number one anymore."

In that statement, Kiffin admits to being Auburn's No. 1 target before he casts a sly, knowing grin to the reporter and then flashes the same grin at another reporter on the other side of the room before abruptly closing the press conference.

18 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

We won a championship with Ted Roof's bend but not break defense.

We won a championship because of Cam Newton and Nick Fairley.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Yes, but what about the Lane Plane ... that is much better than a bus!

Oh no, the "Lane Plane" is more likely to crash and burn with more casualties than the train is to derail, when it does, and I don't want to even mention "The Bus" it's already left the station...LOL!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

We won a championship with Ted Roof's bend but not break defense.

It can happen!! We were taking about my expectations. Ya, we’ve done  it. We also fired that coach 2 years later. Me personally If we’re taking about LK being our next coach. He takes way too many risk to win every week. He does all that without a Defense to rely on. Then makes sly comments at the press conference about the D not doing enough. So again me personally here, not sure how he expects to get defenders to play for him.  Not even sure he cares if defenders play for him.

Don’t get me wrong.  He will win, win a lot, and by a lot!!  But if any AU fan thinks he is gonna come in here and create a dynasty. We are setting him and us up for failure.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

It does not.  In any way, shape of form it does not.   This has been discussed ad nauseum.  

Every single move Kiffin has made has been a step up.  He left USC to take the HC job with the Raiders, and he was only like 31 years old, that is a MASSIVE jump.  He left  UT for USC and that was a step up….USC was a powerhouse, coming off a Saban like dynasty and was known to be his dream job.  Most coaches not named Neyland or Fulmer would have made that same move. 

He left Bama to take a HC job, step up.  Left FAU to take an SEC HC job, step up.  And if he leaves Ole Miss for Auburn, it will be a step up.  The two programs are not equal, Kiffin wants championships and Auburn has the resources he needs that OM just does not have.  

What do you expect these coaches to do?  Its called career advancement.  

Can we just please let this narrative die because its not based in any fact, at all.  

In what universe is FAU a step up from UT or USC or Ole Miss a step up from UT or USC?

• Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

It can happen!! We were taking about my expectations. Ya, we’ve done  it. We also fired that coach 2 years later. Me personally If we’re taking about LK being our next coach. He takes way too many risk to win every week. He does all that without a Defense to rely on. Then makes sly comments at the press conference about the D not doing enough. So again me personally here, not sure how he expects to get defenders to play for him.  Not even sure he cares if defenders play for him.

Don’t get me wrong.  He will win, win a lot, and by a lot!!  But if any AU fan thinks he is gonna come in here and create a dynasty. We are setting him and us up for failure.  

We actually fired Ted Roof 1 year later. He was fired at the end of 2011 and we hired Brian Van Gorder to be our new DC. Gus left after 2011 for Arkansas State and we hired Scott Loeffler, from Temple, to replace Gus. 

Just terrible hires by Coach Chizik. He saw Bama win the Natty in 2009 and 2011 with a pro-style offense and LSU was undefeated in 2011 until they lost in the National Title game to Alabama. LSU also ran a pro-style offense. 

Since Chizik was fired after the 2012 season, I've heard him say a few times that he made a mistake by trying to mimic what Alabama and LSU were doing at the time. The Vangorder hire was bad but the Loeffler hire will go down in Auburn history as an all-timer. I absolutely hated watching Auburn football in 2012. 

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

I think one of the reasons that Kiffen takes so many chances is because he doesn't have a defense like you said.   Who knows, maybe he can talk his dad into coming back one more time.

• Like 1

Well if we do get Kiffin and he does leave for a different team it will represent a first for us. A coach will actually owe us for a buyout instead of us paying a ton to get rid of one.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, autiger88 said:

I swear every coach that might be our coach there is some Auburn fans who's worried about him leaving good lord 🤣 

Some of same people are worried Aubie will leave for another school smh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

The last coach to leave Auburn for a better coaching job was when John Heisman left AU for Clemson and a $300 a year raise on 1900. That's 122 years ago. I suppose that string could be broken at any time but I find it unlikely.

Sewanee beat AU and Heisman in 1899 (11-10). It was afterwards that Heisman left for Clemson. We should have hired Coach Suter, the  Sewanee coach, after Heisman left.  Suter went 12-0 in 1899, beating UGA, GT, UTk, UNC, and in a 10-day roadtrip beat UTex, A&M, Tulane, LSU, and Ole Miss with 18 players in a span of 6 days. Auburn was the only team to score on Sewanee during the 1899 season. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

I think one of the reasons that Kiffen takes so many chances is because he doesn't have a defense like you said.   Who knows, maybe he can talk his dad into coming back one more time.

Pretty sure he already fired his Dad once. Makes for eventful Thanksgivings. Lol….I think the game has passed pops by.  At one point in time, having his dad as DC would  have been an absolute dream scenario!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bootskii said:

Well if we do get Kiffin and he does leave for a different team it will represent a first for us. A coach will actually owe us for a buyout instead of us paying a ton to get rid of one.

I like it. Bring positivity to every situation. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Sewanee beat AU and Heisman in 1899 (11-10). It was afterwards that Heisman left for Clemson. We should have hired Coach Suter, the  Sewanee coach, after Heisman left.  Suter went 12-0 in 1899, beating UGA, GT, UTk, UNC, and in a 10-day roadtrip beat UTex, A&M, Tulane, LSU, and Ole Miss with 18 players in a span of 6 days. Auburn was the only team to score on Sewanee during the 1899 season. 

Wow, Now that is some history there!!!  @augolf1716 Where you pulling for Suter to get the job?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TXaubie said:

And that’s what scares the crap out of me. When u hear commentary on Ole Miss they reference analytics a lot. U don’t really hear it mention during a Saban or Kirby coached game. Even with analytics u should coach within the flow of the game. 

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Pretty sure he already fired his Dad once. Makes for eventful Thanksgivings. Lol….I think the game has passed pops by.  At one point in time, having his dad as DC would  have been an absolute dream scenario!!!

Analyst at Ole Miss now.

1 hour ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Yes, they did it by "hiring" minor league baseball players to enroll in school, got room board coeds and a chance to whip some prep school graduate butt for a semester.

Brillant strategy, until it was disallowed.  It is the same game, only the rules have changed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, autiger88 said:

I swear every coach that might be our coach there is some Auburn fans who's worried about him leaving good lord 🤣 

No doubt they never asked out any pretty girls for fear a hottie would leave them for a better looking or richer dude.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bdc81 said:

Yes, they did it by "hiring" minor league baseball players to enroll in school, got room board coeds and a chance to whip some prep school graduate butt for a semester.

Brillant strategy, until it was disallowed.  It is the same game, only the rules have changed.

The coed part is unlikely since Sewanee did not enroll women until ~1969. Maybe the Coach brought them in from Chattanooga or Nashville.

21 hours ago, autiger88 said:

The old 'Cart before the horse' thingy. Damn we are good at that aren't we.  WDE

• Haha 1

Guest MustardSeed

If we are talking names…let’s be real honest. Kiffin at a team with a cat as a mascot will immediately be labeled by all outsiders as the Kiffin Kittens.  Feel the fear