Lane Kiffin's commitment to Ole Miss questioned as Rebels lose in blowout fashion at Arkansas

DKW 86

11 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

It does not.  In any way, shape of form it does not.   This has been discussed ad nauseum.  

Every single move Kiffin has made has been a step up.  He left USC to take the HC job with the Raiders, and he was only like 31 years old, that is a MASSIVE jump.  He left  UT for USC and that was a step up….USC was a powerhouse, coming off a Saban like dynasty and was known to be his dream job.  Most coaches not named Neyland or Fulmer would have made that same move. 

He left Bama to take a HC job, step up.  Left FAU to take an SEC HC job, step up.  And if he leaves Ole Miss for Auburn, it will be a step up.  The two programs are not equal, Kiffin wants championships and Auburn has the resources he needs that OM just does not have.  

What do you expect these coaches to do?  Its called career advancement.  

Can we just please let this narrative die because its not based in any fact, at all.  

Here are the facts .. 

Kiffin walked out on Tennessee kinda without notice, and actively sought the TN recruits, and took a bunch of them with him.  It wasn't pretty .. 

https://247sports.com/Article/Lane-Kiffin-Tennessee-football-messy-exit-ESPN-Volunteers-135768468/  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2021/10/16/lane-kiffin-left-tennessee-football-coach-ole-miss/8448811002/

He didn't leave USC to take a HC job.  USC fired his arse after USC got the slobber beat out of them.  They so wanted him gone they met him on the airport tarmac at 3 am!

https://newsfeed.time.com/2013/09/30/how-to-get-sacked-four-reasons-uscs-head-football-coach-got-fired/

https://www.sportscasting.com/lane-kiffin-flew-home-from-a-bad-loss-and-got-fired-at-the-airport/

Saban snagged him off the ash heap of history, and rehabbed him.  But, his stint at Bama also ended badly .. "Kiffin is about the only coach who could be fired from a job that he'd already quit."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18395257/lane-kiffin-abrupt-exit-alabama-crimson-tide-surprising-sort-of

He did pretty well at FAU, 27-13.  And he's done pretty well at OM, 23-11.  But, his record is not that of a championship coach, nor is he likely to ever be an elite coach. 

He would win at Auburn, he might win 9 or 10 or 11 games a season, but he'll never turn Auburn into the championship program we can be again.  He's of questionable character, and hasn't the patience nor coaching substance it takes to build a juggernaut program!  Auburn deserves better ...

Coaching Record

Year School G W L T Pct SRS SOS AP Pre AP High AP Post Bowl Notes
11 Yrs Overall 130 85 45 0 .654 9.09 2.95       3-3  
1 Yr Tennessee 13 7 6 0 .538 8.94 5.48       0-1  
4 Yrs USC 43 28 15 0 .651 12.00 5.47       0-1  
3 Yrs Florida Atlantic 40 27 13 0 .675 4.52 -3.12       2-0  
3 Yrs Ole Miss 34 23 11 0 .676 9.85 4.80       1-1
2009 Tennessee 13 7 6 0 .538 8.94 5.48       Chick-fil-A Bowl-L  
2010 USC 13 8 5 0 .615 9.57 6.41 14 14      
2011 USC 12 10 2 0 .833 14.16 3.49 25 5 6    
2012 USC 13 7 6 0 .538 10.53 5.76 1 1   Sun Bowl-L  
2013 USC 5 3 2 0 .600 13.72 6.22 24 19 19    
2017 Florida Atlantic 14 11 3 0 .786 8.01 -4.78       Boca Raton Bowl-W  
2018 Florida Atlantic 12 5 7 0 .417 -2.73 -2.15          
2019 Florida Atlantic 14 11 3 0 .786 8.28 -2.43       Boca Raton Bowl-W  
2020 Ole Miss 10 5 5 0 .500 8.07 7.57       Outback Bowl-W  
2021 Ole Miss 13 10 3 0 .769 11.43 4.05   8 11 Sugar Bowl-L  
2022 Ole Miss 11 8 3 0 .727 10.05 2.78 21 7      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So Kiffin's all-time winning percentage is .654. Gus's winning percentage at Auburn was .656 and we fired Gus for that. What are we thinking?

• Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So Kiffin's all-time winning percentage is .654. Gus's winning percentage at Auburn was .656 and we fired Gus for that. What are we thinking?

That’s he been sabanized. Ps DS’s is almost 85% (non p5 of course)

2 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

That’s he been sabanized. Ps DS’s is almost 85% (non p5 of course)

There are some high school coaches in Alabama that can approach that mark and they can't, or at least aren't supposed to recruit. Which of them should be considered for the AU head coaching job?

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

There are some high school coaches in Alabama that can approach that mark and they can't, or at least aren't supposed to recruit. Which of them should be considered for the AU head coaching job?

Just wanted a rise. I appreciate your consistency. Out debate is officially irrelevant - we’re now in Kiffinville.

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Ah, yes because the circumstances are exactly the same.

USC was hit with massive sanctions right after Kiffin took the job for something he had no control over. Gus took over a roster that was specifically recruited for his offense and then never evolved.

At TN he had a winning season his only year there and then TN proceeded to go 4 years without a winning season or a bowl game.

At FAU he took a team that had a losing record and hadn't been to a bowl game in 8 seasons and immediately gave them their most winning season with 11 wins. He had 2 of those and since Kiffin has left FAU hasn't had a winning season.

But please, tell me more about how Gus with his own players won 8 games a year.

Edit: Since I forgot to talk about OM, he took a program that hadn't had a winning season for 4 years in a row and got them into their first bowl game and tied for most wins in their history. One coach is on a upward trajectory while the other couldn't recruit OL and had Auburn in one of it's worst positions as far as roster talent ever.

Edited by tgrogan21

32 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Are you going to spend the next two years trying to burn the house down again because we didn't hire the coach you wanted?

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

But please, tell me more about how Gus with his own players won 8 games a year.

What I'm telling you is that Gus's winning percentage at Auburn was better than Kiffin's overall winning percentage and Kiffin's includes his stint in a lower classification. That's the message, no need to shoot the messenger.

If we hire Kiffin, we aren't getting someone with outstanding credentials and we're not getting a young up and comer who might turn out great. We're hiring a guy whose success rate is almost exactly the same as was Gus's and we fired Gus. I don't see the attraction in Kiffin.

5 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Are you going to spend the next two years trying to burn the house down again because we didn't hire the coach you wanted?

Only if Kiffin turns out to be a complete jerk like the last guy did. It didn't take long for some of us to recognize exactly what Harsin was and it took many players and A. Dept. employees even less time.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What I'm telling you is that Gus's winning percentage at Auburn was better than Kiffin's overall winning percentage and Kiffin's includes his stint in a lower classification. That's the message, no need to shoot the messenger.

If we hire Kiffin, we aren't getting someone with outstanding credentials and we're not getting a young up and comer who might turn out great. We're hiring a guy whose success rate is almost exactly the same as was Gus's and we fired Gus. I don't see the attraction in Kiffin.

Don't know why I even try with a Gus lover.

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

Don't know why I even try with a Gus lover.

It's got nothing to do with Gus, other than to point out the fact that we may be on the verge of hiring a guy whose record is worse than Gus's was. Don't you think we should be able to hire better than the one we fired?

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Only if Kiffin turns out to be a complete jerk like the last guy did. It didn't take long for some of us to recognize exactly what Harsin was and it took many players and A. Dept. employees even less time.

you have already started,  give him a chance.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's got nothing to do with Gus, other than to point out the fact that we may be on the verge of hiring a guy whose record is worse than Gus's was. Don't you think we should be able to hire better than the one we fired?

Says the guy that does whatever he can to bring Gus up in any conversation.

Kiffin is miles better than Gus, you can look at the stint with USC where he was a position to fail no matter what because of the sanctions and try to say something bad about it but any sane person understands that. Kiffin is going up and has learned from one of the best college football coaches of all time.

Gus struggled to win 8 games with his own roster at a place with way more resources. Kiffin has improved as the years go on and Gus hasn't. I'm done with this conversation because I know you'll always go to bat for Gus no matter who we hired.

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

you have already started,  give him a chance.

Nobody is even certain Kiffin has been hired yet. Is he my first choice? No. Will I support him unless and until he shows he's a jerk? Yes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I would guess that it's because Kiffin has better recruiting success at most of his stops and seems to know how to effectively use the portal. 

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Nobody is even certain Kiffin has been hired yet. Is he my first choice? No. Will I support him unless and until he shows he's a jerk? Yes.

He’s already shown he’s a jerk…just ask Tennessee, USC, Oakland and bama….

Now of course he may still not be a jerk to players, just to adults…which is better than Harsin but our PTB won’t take that for long…

Of course he could have grown up and changed since all that. It is possible. But it’s certainly a concern. I honestly hope we don’t hire him because the red flags aren’t just flying on the ship, they cover most of it. But he is good offensive mind…when he doesn’t just go full on analytics and put his team in a serious bind anyways 🤣

Guest MustardSeed
6 hours ago, einatlanta said:

I would guess that it's because Kiffin has better recruiting success at most of his stops and seems to know how to effectively use the portal. 

Harsin out recruited him :rollin:

His recruiting while at USC and bama are irrelevant…I could recruit at bama right now and USC recruits itself  Always has.  Better to look at how he’s recruiting now.  He finished ELEVENTH in the SEC last year.  Got out recruited by Mike Leach.  That should be major alarm bells 

And it’s been said multiple times on here that he doesn’t make relationships with HS coaches…just like Harsin :OnTheCan:

He may be good at offense and he may succeed here…but he is not an elite recruiter. IMO we need one. But he can always hire some and cover for that. He didn’t at OM, though, so expecting him to suddenly do it here is a little silly.